My minivan appears to have been stolen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if it was just totaled, I could buy it from State Farm for the residual that the salvage yard offered them. Apparently, when they and I "settle" I no longer have any interest in the vehicle. He didn't give me any details on the rationale.

I've got State farm and I never heard of such a thing. When my wife's 2000 GC got T-boned, I told the insurance adjuster I wanted it back. We worked a deal I could live with and I was going to part it out, but decided to take it to a local body shop. The guy said he could fix it if I wasn't in a hurry, gave me a price I said to go for it. When I got it back it looked like new, even the State Farm agent couldn't find anything wrong with it. Took about 6 weeks, but in the end, I came out about $1200 ahead.

Your state may be different ..or the laws may have changed in the meantime. They may not be able to recover residual value even if they total it in your state and you accept it the offer.
dunno.gif

Quote:

Well, if it was just totaled, I could buy it from State Farm for the residual that the salvage yard offered them. Apparently, when they and I "settle" I no longer have any interest in the vehicle. He didn't give me any details on the rationale.

Do that! While in high school my girlfriend rear ended someone in her '84 Tercel wagon. The insurance company declared it totaled and they got a check for $500 or so. Her dad bought it back for $84, they put $200-$300 of repairs in it and it was as good as new, sans A/C.

It would be worth it just to get your "aftermarket mods" back.

I'll do the knee caps ..then I'll pray for forgiveness
laugh.gif

Remember ..a liberal is only a conservative that hasn't gotten mugged yet.

We are pretty bummed about it. We took for granted that no one would ever bother with the thing.

In North Carolina, the law is that if it costs more then 70% of the, (retail ?), value to repair, it must be totaled. I took the GC to the most expensive place I knew to get an estimate. They knew it was going to get totaled so they just stalled around for 2 weeks, while I dickered with the ins. co. When I got my check, I just showed up and asked for the keys. I thought the mgr. of the shop was going to have a stroke. I'm sure they were planning to part it out themselves.
shocked.gif
crushedcar.gif

Anyway, I hope you get a break with your deal. I hate it when you get ripped. Leaves you feeling very vulnerable.
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back