my M1 experience in GM 5.3L piston slapper

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my 2000 Silverado 5.3L w/102k miles almost 1 year ago. I knew it had the infamous piston slap when I bought it. I have been on a mission to quiet it ever since. The previous owner always used dino.

After some research I finally decided on M1 0w30 green cap and a napa gold filter (I use napa filters on everything). I was hoping the thinner oil (when cold) would reach the cylinder walls quick. Well, believe it or not, the piston slap got LOUDER. Not only that, the motor started knocking under load for the first mile or so. This noise was not a tick, it was definatly a knock.

I always warm up my motor on cold days for a minimum of 5 minutes but this never helped with the knock under load. I changed out the M1 today after only 1100 miles and put in PP 5w30 w/ bosch D+ filter, on sale at AA.

Guess what, piston slap is so quiet I had to put my head down by the bumper to hear it. Oh, and that knock under load..... GONE.

Just thought I should share my experience with all of you.

Been on the quest for 7 years or more to fix the knock and come to face the fact that after many differnt weights and brands of oil and filters their is no cure and learned to live with it.

Oh brother.....
33.gif

my 234,000 mile '99 5.7 is as quite as [censored] with AFE....you hear what you wanna hear.

Originally Posted By: daman
Oh brother.....
33.gif

my 234,000 mile '99 5.7 is as quite as [censored] with AFE....you hear what you wanna hear.

nobody is talking about the 5.7L motor.

I'll cut open the filter tonight. I have never seen a bad napa filter though, but it could happen. Yes, I do open all my filters, atleast for the last few years.

I'm not here to bash Mobil, [censored], I'm the lead operator at work making Synestic 12 for Exxon. We will soon be making Synestic 5 for them in a trial run. I still don't know a fraction about oil like some guys on here, but I do know Exxon keeps me employed in an otherwise poor community.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Oh brother.....
33.gif

nobody is talking about the 5.7L motor.

You beat me to typing that. He has the 5.3.

33.gif
Oh brother.

I have a GMC 2000 since new with 4.8
It has had piston slap since new, no matter what oil I`ve used. Have 197,000 on it, still slaps on cold starts.
Just don`t drive it while its slaping. Has never affected the way it runs, and uses almost no oil.
Always dino 5-30 and 3k changes, QS, PYB, Kendall, Havoline,etc.
because I like a lot of the oils so I like trying them.
GM Piston slap is nothing to worry about. and GM motors are not oil fussy IMO.
And, I`ve just started going 4K OCIs

Originally Posted By: KyleBula
Uh, I've never heard of the 5.7L having piston slap issues.

come over here and i'll let you hear it on about 5 350's they did.

+1

come over here and i'll let you hear it on about 5 350's they did.

plus a 5.0

Oh ya, I forgot to mention that in the 1100 miles it used almost 1 qt. of oil. I have no fluid leaks what so ever on this truck. I'm not questioning the reliability of the 5.3 just trying to quiet it down.

Oh ya, I forgot to mention that in the 1100 miles it used almost 1 qt. of oil. I have no fluid leaks what so ever on this truck. I'm not questioning the reliability of the 5.3 just trying to quiet it down.

The 5.3 is great engine yes and will run with this slap for many many miles but yes it is annoying.

All motors perform identically with a certain brand/weight of oil from either a quantitative or qualitative standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back