My latest endeavor.... 2003 C1500 as an orphan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Originally Posted by clinebarger
I know it sound bad.....I've seen every failure imaginable on GMT800 trucks. They're really good but have quarks. Not any one truck will experience ALL these failures.
I hate to hijack, but, how many of these failures would apply to an LQ4 6.0 (in an '06 3500 van)? Thinking about retiring my GMC 6.2.

All besides the Intermediate steering shaft, Parking brake, '05 & up had better fuel pumps & Clusters, Intake gaskets were updated (E-85), No trans drain plug post 2004. Van engines don't normally get washed, So the knock sensor wells are usually dry.

You'll have to check if it has a Kelsey Hayes ABS unit......Vans are known to use Bosch units that don't have the cold solder joint issues.

The vans use Vacuum actuated HVAC actuators......The vacuum hoses in the engine compartment are known to deteriorate in @ 10-12 years.
4L80E's like to leak ATF through the pass-through connector, Replace internal harness if leaking.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Hey clinebarger- quick question. The shop swapped the starter and now there is a metallic clanking noise as the engine runs. The shop thinks it's a cracked flywheel and wants to pull the trans to check; I watched some YouTube videos and it appears the inspection plate is easily bent into the path of the bolts and is likely the root cause of the noise. Does this seem possible? There was no noise before the starter swap and I sure don't want to pay for an R&R if it's just a bent inspection plate. I'd take the dang thing out before paying them to check for a "possible" cracked flywheel!! Thanks!

Ive ran into this a few times.. the chinese starters sometimes need shimmed and/or the bendix is sticking. You have to sometimes lay the new starter beside the old starter to see the small differences. My guess is that its a fuzz too long and needs shimmed.

Taking this heap to my brother's shop in Richmond to see what's going on before allowing this place to pull the trans on their witch hunt for the "truth", which I assume was because they have no real troubleshooting skills (I don't want to jump to the assumption their goal was to extract as much money as possible yet due to details below). I shared my thoughts on what they should check based on clinebarger's guidance, and they looked at me like I was short-bus "special". Actual words from the owner: "I do this stuff as my day job. I have a pretty good idea of what it is and what it isn't."

crazy2.gif

Considering clinebarger and my brother had essentially identical guidance and the fact they both doubted this shop's assessment up to this point, I'm thinking this shop should stick to what their sign says they're good at: transmissions. The bad thing is the owner is my uncle's 30-year-long neighbor so I couldn't really blast him how I feel he deserved. I don't have to live next to this guy, but I'm not going to let him empty my wallet just because the truck was essentially free.

Well......Ran across my first cracked Dished LSx Flexplate behind a stock engine.......2008 GMC Sierra AFM 5.3L/4L60E.

Granted this Gen IV Flexplate is a little different than the '01-'06 Gen III flexplate.

Installed a good used Gen III flexplate (I have a whole stack of them) Donated it to the job as the service manager was going to use a "Pioneer/Chinese" replacement ......Thought I'd share
smile.gif

It was making almost a knocking/rattling noise, I was able to diagnose it by removing the bigger of the 2 bellhousing plugs & was able to freely rock the Ring Gear back & forth with a flat blade. I initially thought the Flexplate to Crank bolts were loose.....'Til I got the trans backed off!!!

The engine in this truck had been replaced at one point in the past (Wrecking Yard paint marker on the flexplate & "Heat Tabs" on the rear of both cylinder heads).......They could have easily damaged the flexplate but that pure conjecture on my part!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back