My Idea to Buy a 2023 Highlander Hybrid Just Met Market Reality

Toyota sucks, I was looking at a Camry TuRD before buying the Integra and they all had $700 of worthless junk from the manufacturer added on. Who needs a $69 "rear bumper applique". Give me a break. I don't know what I was thinking even considering it.
You know really-that's actually useful. When someone drags a suitcase or other heavy object out of the trunk over the bumper it doesn't get scratched. Look at your next rental car and you will see when it doesn't have that feature.

You know really-that's actually useful. When someone drags a suitcase or other heavy object out of the trunk over the bumper it doesn't get scratched. Look at your next rental car and you will see when it doesn't have that feature.

But they don't put them on the rental cars....and I don't drag luggage over my bumper.

All weather floor mats were one of the other useless add-ons...who needs those in Phoenix?

But they don't put them on the rental cars....and I don't drag luggage over my bumper.

All weather floor mats were one of the other useless add-ons...who needs those in Phoenix?
If you are in 100 per cent control of unloading your trunk- yea you don't need it. All weather floor mats are a must here.

Shopping ‘23 Venza LE Hybrid today and could only find one in the state that was incoming and not spoken for. Dealer wanted non-refundable $500 deposit, said $299 Pulse brake light add-on was mandatory and dealer would not sell to me unless I had a trade. Found no-nonsense dealer one state over only charging $180 doc fee above MSRP (I pay TTL in my state after vehicle is picked up).

Shopping ‘23 Venza LE Hybrid today and could only find one in the state that was incoming and not spoken for. Dealer wanted non-refundable $500 deposit, said $299 Pulse brake light add-on was mandatory and dealer would not sell to me unless I had a trade. Found no-nonsense dealer one state over only charging $180 doc fee above MSRP (I pay TTL in my state after vehicle is picked up).

Merry early Christmas!

Sequoia is going $20,000 over MSRP.
A few months ago a southern California Ford dealer was tacking on a $45K premium for the Ford Bronco.

Remember insurance companies only insure for MSRP minus depreciation. If the vehicle that you paid $20K over list is totaled or stolen, it's your loss, the insurance is not covering the extra money you paid.

A few months ago a southern California Ford dealer was tacking on a $45K premium for the Ford Bronco.

Remember insurance companies only insure for MSRP minus depreciation. If the vehicle that you paid $20K over list is totaled or stolen, it's your loss, the insurance is not covering the extra money you paid.
Good point. Which makes things even more ridiculous.

One has to realize when they don’t have any negotiating power and when it comes to vehicle buying that time is now.
If you start throwing “threats” around about buying out of town and such, it just shows you really want that vehicle.

I don’t even look at anything now. There is absolutely no point. You cannot expect the game to change while playing it. That is why I’m a non participant.

The previous owner of my CX5 could have really used one or do a few more shoulder workouts. Floormats are nice for anybody outdoorsy. Unfortunately Toyota doesn't have control over this, it goes to the dealer wholesaler and they tack it on. Easy way for the wholesaler to make money too.

Elmhury Toyota in IL is tacking a $20k markup on their GR Corolla too - $63,000 in total for a faster Corolla. Reminds me of the time dealers had the Focus RS at $10-20K markups while they sat on the lot for months or nearly years, or the final edition Evos that were marked up to $10k in and had nothing more than different colored wheels, a black roof, and a production number but without the Recaros (they came with the basic Lancer seats :sick:)

Last edited:
That is what is really bonkers. An hour’s from here dealers don’t mark up. Here? $5,000. And apparently people are willing to pay it over driving an hour up north.
Ridiculous.

I've been known to fly to more "distressed" markets and drive them home. This was bought in a Kansas City MO suburb for $1200 less, with the interior I preferred over anything I could find in Dallas. As far as I'm concerned, Dallas is a terrible market, pre and post Covid. They carry no selection, and don't deal, and I will circumvent them at any opportunity.

24-CX-3 (1).jpg

I've been known to fly to more "distressed" markets and drive them home. This was bought in a Kansas City MO suburb for $1200 less, with the interior I preferred over anything I could find in Dallas. As far as I'm concerned, Dallas is a terrible market, pre and post Covid. They carry no selection, and don't deal, and I will circumvent them at any opportunity.

View attachment 131799

Ive done that as well, jump on a plane - drive your beautiful new car back home....

Last edited:
I thought there was some 5k tax incentive to buy electric or hybrid cars to the purchaser? And there is the reason for the extra 5K added to the price.
The stealers want the 5k and not for you to get that as a price reduction. And that is the way it always seems to work.

I thought there was some 5k tax incentive to buy electric or hybrid cars to the purchaser? And there is the reason for the extra 5K added to the price.
The stealers want the 5k and not for you to get that as a price reduction. And that is the way it always seems to work.

Until someone decides that’s not the way it works.

What’s that old school saying? “The buck stops here!”

All $5,000 of ‘em……..

I really want to upgrade my wife from her 4runner to the new TRD Pro Sequoia, but I’ll be ****ed if I’m paying $80k plus mark up.

One has to realize when they don’t have any negotiating power and when it comes to vehicle buying that time is now.
If you start throwing “threats” around about buying out of town and such, it just shows you really want that vehicle.

I don’t even look at anything now. There is absolutely no point. You cannot expect the game to change while playing it. That is why I’m a non participant.
Yeah the days of truck liquidations, loss leader $15K full size trucks, etc are over.

A new car salesman I guess was trying to show off his salesmanship when he was getting his shirts and said something salesey to me, and before I could respond the sales manager started laughing and said "ay bo, he ain't going to buy no new truck." I don't know if it was an insult or just honesty, but I think he was trying to give a lesson on who to even entertain. 🤣

I mean it sucks but it makes sense. Dealers don’t have the volume they once did so they have to increase margins to make the same total revenue dollars they once did. It won’t stop until supply picks up or a recession causes less people to buy. We only like supply and demand when it works to our favor.
Any dealer that does ridiculous markups will never get my business, even for parts. The vehicle will still sell, 1st come, 1st serve, why gouge the buyer.

I know that a large percentage of dealers like to do this, been going on for decades. I won't buy into the greed, and I don't think they care but that's my take.

There has been speculation that the 6th gen 4Runner will have the Highlander hybrid drivetrain. They definitely interest me, but not enough to pay over MSRP. I agree with the other comments on how the up charge makes the hybrid not worth it. If you want one, go for it, but buying it for the sake of saving money wouldn’t make financial sense.

I would hope this just depends on the dealer though.

Back