My Idea to Buy a 2023 Highlander Hybrid Just Met Market Reality

I mean it sucks but it makes sense. Dealers don’t have the volume they once did so they have to increase margins to make the same total revenue dollars they once did. It won’t stop until supply picks up or a recession causes less people to buy. We only like supply and demand when it works to our favor.

Patience grasshopper. By next spring they'll be making deals. Interest rates are going up on cars and especially used cars. Auto dealers are hurting now because of the payments of vehicles plus interest rates on car loans. People are running out of money and the economy is dumping like 2008. What do think Cash For Clunkers was all about in 2009? it was to save the car manufactures and dealers from going under during that recession. This time it's going to be worse.

I mean it sucks but it makes sense. Dealers don’t have the volume they once did so they have to increase margins to make the same total revenue dollars they once did. It won’t stop until supply picks up or a recession causes less people to buy. We only like supply and demand when it works to our favor.
This is a lie. They are simply selling disneyland fast-passes for desirable models during a gold rush. Dealers are selling at MSRP or very near MSRP, but you have to wait for delivery. The wait for an MSRP Prius Prime is 9 months to 2 years last time I checked.

Dealer revenue is doing just fine.

This is a lie. They are simply selling disneyland fast-passes for desirable models during a gold rush. Dealers are selling at MSRP or very near MSRP, but you have to wait for delivery. The wait for an MSRP Prius Prime is 9 months to 2 years last time I checked.

Dealer revenue is up- but volume is way down due to the chip and other shortages.

To the OP-Toyota dealers in Cincinnati have been super high for AGES-when my Mom bought her Matrix way back in 2006 literally NO ONE in town would give her a deal. And there were PLENTY of base Matrix XR automatics available! I ended up negotiating her a deal from a Toyota dealer in Frankfort, KY, drove her down there, paid cash, drove it back. Saved her $5000, roughly ~20% of what the Cincy stealerships wanted for the identical car!

If you are set, call dealerships in Cleveland or Dayton area. I know out of state sales on new vehicles is stopped by Toyota and Honda. Maybe some dealers don’t charge over MSRP there.
Toyota USA has regional distributors. Find out what your region is and if the next one over aren't a bunch of douches.

To the OP-Toyota dealers in Cincinnati have been super high for AGES-when my Mom bought her Matrix way back in 2006 literally NO ONE in town would give her a deal. And there were PLENTY of base Matrix XR automatics available! I ended up negotiating her a deal from a Toyota dealer in Frankfort, KY, drove her down there, paid cash, drove it back. Saved her $5000, roughly ~20% of what the Cincy stealerships wanted for the identical car!

Yeah. I ran into the same thing on the Altima purchase in late 2013 with the Nissan dealers in the tri-state.

I ended up purchasing the car in Illinois for an attractive price.

I’m not hesitant to do it again with the Highlander.

For that kind of coin I’ll wait.

Thanks for the replies thus far!

I WANT a Highlander Platinum but I certainly don't NEED that ride.

That gives me the ability to be patient and wait for the exterior and interior color and model I want. At MSRP or less.

I'm a little stymied regarding the demand for hybrids. 87 octane gasoline is currently averaging $2.89 in this area, down from $4.79 during the pandemic.

We had a 2005 gas Highlander for fifteen years. The hybrid model back then was noticeably higher. The payback was eight year based on then current gas prices.

However, I'm fairly set on the Highlander as I will be getting rid of the great gas mileage Altima and the utility of the Santa Fe.

The Highlander will give me both without the headache and lack of range of an EV.

Some of you commented on the size of the Highlander but I found the interior room generous. With the driver's seat set for my 6'3" frame, I found the rear seat legroom to be quite good.

We don't have kids so whether the third row is only suitable for an Oompa Loompa is of no consequence to me.

I made a brief visit to CarGurus and Autotrader. Used hybrid Highlanders for 2020-2022 with 30-50k miles are selling for some stupid numbers.

Again, patience young Pad-a-won.
It'll happen when it's supposed to.

Merry Christmas to all of you and your families.
Toyota Corporate actually told me, if you order a Toyota, then the dealership is not supposed to tack on their artificial "Market Value Adjustment" fee.

Ok. And, what all that has to have with topic and what I said?
I bet you can vent off somewhere else.
You're the one that seems to be venting on every toyota thread. Maybe a BMW X7 would serve you better with its superior german engineering and build quality.

Platinum rear seat has glass where the plebeian sunroof would slide into, so there is no headbutting of the headliner in the second row. The 2nd row HVAC vents are on the side, like the third row.
HLD_MY20_0057_V001-3

WAIT!!

LOL!

UG_Passat: my apologies. I asked if you’d seen the Platinum in person. Of course you have; you own one! Sorry I missed the ride in your signature.

Toyota Corporate actually told me, if you order a Toyota, then the dealership is not supposed to tack on their artificial "Market Value Adjustment" fee.
A guy ordered a new Ford at MSRP. The vehicle arrived and the dealer tacked on more money. He contacted Ford and Ford said they couldn't do anything about it. Neither can Toyota-due to franchise agreements. Toyota Dealers were doing it most recently with Tundra trucks.

A guy ordered a new Ford at MSRP. The vehicle arrived and the dealer tacked on more money. He contacted Ford and Ford said they couldn't do anything about it. Neither can Toyota-due to franchise agreements. Toyota Dealers were doing it most recently with Tundra trucks.
Sequoia is going $20,000 over MSRP.

Reactions: CKN
Toyota sucks, I was looking at a Camry TuRD before buying the Integra and they all had $700 of worthless junk from the manufacturer added on. Who needs a $69 "rear bumper applique". Give me a break. I don't know what I was thinking even considering it.

I purchased a Venza hybrid in 3/21. l was able to score a much better deal by shopping outside of my home market.

The dealers in the NYC metro area were not offering any bargains. I found a much better deal in rural PA.

I don't know if this strategy is still viable or not in this crazy market, but you may find a better deal if you're willing to expand your search radius.

Negative ghost rider. People are still buying so they getting what people are willing to pay. No one is forcing people to pay inflated prices. Once again people only like when they’re making the money

Back