My goodness, Mobil1 AFE 0w-30 is LOUD!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever the term is "frictional viscous resistance to motion" is what thicker or more viscous oil pocesses. Now that is called "frictious". That is what it is guys.

frictious (comparative more frictious, superlative most frictious)
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/frictious

1.(rare) Of, related to, or caused by friction.

Here we go with the "gee my car is noisey with a PAO oil with little ZDDP in the add pack. Well, what did you expect? Have you been paying attention to basestock properties and acoustic characteristics over the years? No? Yes - your rings are well gummed up** (never took apart a pass car engine that wasnt) and the "real" synthetic M1 0w-30 wil be doing some vigorous cleaning. Redline will do eevn MORE but the POE will compensate with its velour-like "padding" of the parts.
-
-
- ** except TIG's engines that have been running M1 PAO oil their whole life
wink.gif

Last edited:
All 3 of my vehicles are now on Castrol Edge, 5w-20 (Honda & Mazda) and Edge 5w-30 (Dakota R/T). All 3 engines are the quietest they have ever been. Good, bad? I don't know, but I like the way they sound and feel as the tack needle heads to the red mark.

You got problems dude with your ride then because my 231,000 mile Z71 is quite as [censored] no consumption either.

every engine i put it in is the same, smooth an quite.

I dunno.
Yeah, when I drain the M1 EP 15W-50 from the '99 Accord and put in the M1 OW-30 in October, I'll hear some minor difference.
I'll also notice that the engine revs more freely.
Will it sound like it's falling apart?
No.
Didn't when I made the same change last fall.
I've never gotten with the "M1 makes my engine noisy" crowd.
I've had M1 in the van and both Accords, as well as any number of engines before, and I've never known it to make an engine sound bad.
The Vulcan in the van was smooth and happy with the old M1 0W-30 in its youth.
Maybe your engine is simply bad to begin with?

Originally Posted By: tig1
Quad 4s are noisey from the get go. Sound like diesels to me.

My engine isnt the quad 4, its the "twin cam", but basically still a variant of the quad 4 with a longer stroke. I dont think im hearing piston slap, as ive heard it many times before in other cars and its not the same noise. and like i said, i used PP 5w-20 for my last OCI, which is a considerably thinner oil at all operating temps, and my engine was much smoother and quieter. the engine overall was still noisy (i've never seen a twin cam 2.4l that isnt), but i dont think there is reason to believe that there is anything wrong with my engine.

Here's another oil change marvel story. Nice try, but I ain't buying.

What about the guy who reports a quieter engine with M1
54.gif
NO SALE there too?

I don't know, myself. I use the quiet true PAO based synthetic. Thank goodness I don't have to even entertain the slightest bit of concern one way or the other. ..ssswhew..(insert relief sounds).

Yes Gary, Amsoil is probably a fine product. Like you, I don't have concerns either. Isn't quality oil liberating?
19.gif

Last edited:

They are "Buzzier," thats for sure. They have to work harder to do what a larger engine does.

I sure got used to them.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9

My engine isnt the quad 4, its the "twin cam", but basically still a variant of the quad 4 with a longer stroke. I dont think im hearing piston slap, as ive heard it many times before in other cars and its not the same noise. and like i said, i used PP 5w-20 for my last OCI, which is a considerably thinner oil at all operating temps, and my engine was much smoother and quieter. the engine overall was still noisy (i've never seen a twin cam 2.4l that isnt), but i dont think there is reason to believe that there is anything wrong with my engine.

Your "Twin Cam" is "Screwed."
55.gif
thumbsup2.gif

At this time, it goes like this.
57.gif
With that LOUD!!!!!!! Oil in it, its gonna go like this.
15.gif

Hmm. That red car kinda looks like a Grand Am too.
cool.gif

Most GM engines are loud IMO. On the other hand most GM engines are capable of 200 to 300K with a modicum of care....On the other hand I'd rather a Ford since GM became 'Government Motors"...

Originally Posted By: HangerHarley

They are "Buzzier," thats for sure. They have to work harder to do what a larger engine does.

I sure got used to them.

Not so much harder. My Fusion Duratech 4 turn 2500RPM at 72 MPH. Red line for that engine is 6500 RPM, so at 2500 RPM it is just crusin along.

Noisey engine = stuck valves, gummed rings, insufficient octane, incorrect timing, incorrect plug heat range, wrong oil type/weight, wrong filter. Other than these contributers, most any modern 4 cyl is smooth as an electric motor above idle. WHEN THE ABOVE PLANETS ARE ALIGNED I CANT TELL IF IM IN 3, 4 OR 5TH GEAR AT 65 ON THE HIGHWAY. I dont have a tach :) I have a sticking CAPS key though ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HangerHarley

I sure got used to them.

Not so much harder. My Fusion Duratech 4 turn 2500RPM at 72 MPH. Red line for that engine is 6500 RPM, so at 2500 RPM it is just crusin along.

Tig but dont you have 6 speeds in that Fusion? Me thinks you do!
thumbsup2.gif

I meant in terms of acceleration. Unless your 6 speeds make it do like a short-shift in a manual. I once had a car I could go from 1st gear, to 2nd, and skip straight to 5th... Thanks to Torque!
thumbsup2.gif
happy2.gif

Corvettes with 6 speeds cruise at 2500Rpm OR LESS at 80MPH, in Top Gear of course, IIRC. Thats like having -2- GM 4s!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back