my first differential fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
This weekend I will attempt my first-ever diff fluid change.

I have 3 quarts of fluid (need 2 total, have some extra just in case). A hand pump. Collection container etc.

Anything special I should be concerned about? I will make sure I can open the "fill" hole before opening the drain. Little bit concerned about the drain plugs being stuck. I have no idea if this has ever been done. The car has 126,000 miles on it. I think I need a crush washer for only one of the two diffs. I will check with the dealer but why would that be?

Any final words of wisdom?

Thanks!

Rear diff won't need a crush washer if the bolt has a slight taper like a plumbing fixture. My Nissan is that way. I just put some thread sealant on the plug and tighten it up. You may need a breaker bar to gt it loose.

Penetrating oil helps.

Get a rag, wipe it down as best as you can to get the drain and fill clean.

Then hose them down.

Go read, eat lunch, get a drink, spend a few minutes letting it sit.

Then go try to get the plugs loose. Penetrating oil can really help get things started.

BTW, it is really going to stink. If you don't know Gear Oil stinks bad. Throw away everything that it touches.
My wife complained for weeks because the garage stank due to a small amount (like a glaze) of gear oil being in my drain pan.

Breaker bar with a long pipe on the end. For some reason these plugs are always tough to get loose...

When I did my Tacoma over the summer, a bit of PB Blaster was all it took. There were aluminum crush washers an all the plugs that may have helped prevent seizure too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back