what needed for 2017 Subaru Forester!

Hi!

My daughter's car likely needs work, which she does NOT do! 2017 Forester with around 40,000 original miles, she got it new. One year ago I replaced all pads and brake rotors, air filters, change oil, which was drastically needed. This was done a 33,000 miles.

Today's dumb questions:

1.I believe all Foresters that year are all wheel drive. Should I replace differential fluid? does it have a front and a rear diff?

2. should I replace power steering fluid?

3. replace brake fluid?

4. replace trans. fluid?

I will do mobil one synthetic oil. the Mobil one in it has 7,000 miles on it.

anything else?

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR GOOD IDEAS!

best,

Bob

Not to be snarky but first step would be to see if you can download the owners manual.
This might find the maintenance schedule. Then you can decide if you want to replace fluids well ahead of schedule.

Yes, the Forester has both a front and a rear diff. Any synthetic 75w90 GL5 will do.

No need to replace power steering fluid because it has electric power steering.

It would've been easier to replace the brake fluid when you did the pads and rotors, but there's no harm in doing it now.

Changing the fluid on the CVT requires a scan tool and a flat surface. However, the fluid isn't expensive. Cam2 and Transtar are the correct green color and a fair price.

Those aren't dumb questions at all.

The PCV valve on my '16 Forester was pretty sludged when I changed it at 80k. So maybe 40k would be about right to replace it.

You should stock up on lugnuts and lug studs for when they inevitably gall and cross-thread.

And pray the a/c holds a charge. These systems seem particularly fragile and leak-prone. And bone up on replacing the clock spring when the horn stops working.

That's all the "help" I can be :D

Hi!

My daughter's car likely needs work, which she does NOT do! 2017 Forester with around 40,000 original miles, she got it new. One year ago I replaced all pads and brake rotors, air filters, change oil, which was drastically needed. This was done a 33,000 miles.

Today's dumb questions:

1.I believe all Foresters that year are all wheel drive. Should I replace differential fluid? does it have a front and a rear diff?

3. replace brake fluid?

4. replace trans. fluid?

anything else?

best,

Bob

I think the service intervals in Canada and USA are different. However in Canada the diffs/trans interval is drain and fill every 60k miles. It has both a front and rear diff. I don't think the US has a specified time/mileage for those.

There is no power steering fluid.

Brake fluid I do every 2-3 years regardless of mileage.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!

car is driving ok, it must last a long time for my daughter.

best regards,

bob

Hi!

Today's dumb questions:

3. replace brake fluid?

4. replace trans. fluid?

anything else?

best,

Bob
Yes to all of your questions. I’d recommend getting ahold of @Pablo for your drivetrain fluids, as Motul Gear 300 seems difficult to come by these days and is super pricy, and Pablo’s Amsoil rates very highly on protection.

That Forester has a CVT which requires a special fluid, it is NOT ATF and since the level has to be set with a scan tool, you can either change it and measure what comes out completely cold, or have the dealer do it… but I would observe them doing it since most will protest.

Last edited:
PS fluid is essentially Dex III, nothing special. Best way is to remove and cap the return line, stick it into a catch pan, have someone start the car and turn the wheel lock to lock while pouring the new fluid in. Once the stuff coming out is clean, stop the engine, reconnect the hose, and then re-start engine and top off reservoir while turning wheel again. This gets any crud and all the old fluid out.

The SJ has EPS, so no fluid :sneaky:

The SJ has EPS, so no fluid :sneaky:
So does my 07 Mazda3, but still uses fluid. Mazda system is essentially standard r&p, but the pump is electrically powered instead of belt driven.

Is the system on the vehicle in question true electric-motor powered r&p? Cool, if it is. Sounds stupid expensive to replace upon failure.

Just wanted to toss out for others that may read through this that some 'electric' power steering systems are still fluid-assisted typical systems.

ETA: Just looked into it, and indeed the mentioned vehicle has an electric rack. Neat. Still sounds expensive! Haha

So does my 07 Mazda3, but still uses fluid. Mazda system is essentially standard r&p, but the pump is electrically powered instead of belt driven.

Is the system on the vehicle in question true electric-motor powered r&p? Cool, if it is. Sounds stupid expensive to replace upon failure.

Just wanted to toss out for others that may read through this that some 'electric' power steering systems are still fluid-assisted typical systems.

ETA: Just looked into it, and indeed the mentioned vehicle has an electric rack. Neat. Still sounds expensive! Haha
Yeah of course. I'd call the other system "electric over hydraulic". My '19 JL is electric over hydraulic. A '19 Ram Rebel is just electric, though.

Back