My Experience: Amsoil SS in 2013 Hyundai Santa Fes

Your car has the dreaded Hyundai turbo hamster.

1690563653546.png

youtube

I think you’ve found a combination that you like, and that’s what really matters.

Fanboys and haters exist for every brand. Brands of oil. Of trucks. Of everything. Most of those two groups have no real reason for their cheerleading or hatred, so I ignore most of them.

There are a lot of good oils out there. I have some real world experience with Mobil 1. I’ve posted photos on how clean the inside of my V-12s are, you’re welcome to search, and the 0W40 performed well in UOA for those engines. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum has kept the inside of my Tundra clean. None of those engines have any issues and none of them use a drop of oil. I’ve got several cars running HPL - and so far, I’m impressed.

Buy what makes you happy. Call it good.

Definitely keep using that Bosch filter if you do choose to change oil brands - manage the variables for a more accurate comparison.
I definitely will. On my other 2013 Santa Fe, I'm about to have them change the oil with the same Amsoil SS 5w30 but I'll be trying an Amsoil oil filter. This Santa Fe doesn't have a squeal or significant engine vibration, so I'm not sure I'll glean anything useful from the exercise. Keep in mind this other identical Santa Fe has seen the same oil and filters as the noisy one.

Oh, one other detail I forgot to mention...I did recently switch from Shell 87 to Shell 93 octane gas. I did this given some people have said it helps with fuel dilution and carbon build-up. No idea if it was a contributing factor though.

Another question. Who changed the oil and filter every time and are you SURE the indy shops actually changed the oil and used M1? There are numerous tales of shops either not doing the oil change or using a inferior mislabel oil...

So can you be sure the oil and filters were in fact changed each time?

Another question. Who changed the oil and filter every time and are you SURE the indy shops actually changed the oil and used M1? There are numerous tales of shops either not doing the oil change or using a inferior mislabel oil...

So can you be sure the oil and filters were in fact changed each time?
I cannot be sure other than these indy shops have good reputations. It's entirely possible they didn't change what they said they did. I suppose it's easier to check the oil filter since it's more visible. Regarding the oil, I'd have to do an analysis.

I do believe my current indy shop does change it because my engine is much smoother and quieter once I switched to Amsoil vs using their house brand synthetic this last time around.

Oh, one other detail I forgot to mention...I did recently switch from Shell 87 to Shell 93 octane gas. I did this given some people have said it helps with fuel dilution and carbon build-up. No idea if it was a contributing factor though.
Okay, now you have 3 variables in the mix.

As for filters, I believe Napa parent filter is Wix and generally identical filters, which are top notch filters. However there might be a design difference between Bosch (also top notch filter). You could try to find videos of these filters cut open or buy a few yourself to cut open to inspect/compare.

But this is academic. You've found a good combination of oil, filter, fuel to eliminate the noise so may be best to stick with it.

Okay, now you have 3 variables in the mix.

As for filters, I believe Napa parent filter is Wix and generally identical filters, which are top notch filters. However there might be a design difference between Bosch (also top notch filter). You could try to find videos of these filters cut open or buy a few yourself to cut open to inspect/compare.

But this is academic. You've found a good combination of oil, filter, fuel to eliminate the noise so may be best to stick with it.
Agreed. I won't mess with this combo given it's made such a difference.

Yeah, that's one of the potential issues of a "real life test".

Just form a conclusion based on what you have seen regardless of what may have changed.

Yeah, that's one of the potential issues of a "real life test".

Just form a conclusion based on what you have seen regardless of what may have changed
Well, this wasn't mean to be a scientific model. I don't have that kind of patience or time.

Based on how and where I've maintained these vehicles, my logical assumption was that the oil made the biggest difference. Could it have been premium gas, oil filter and oil all combined? Sure. Not quite sure how premium gas would've made such an abrupt difference, especially since this first tank was half and half with 87 and 93. Besides, the car still squealed on this new tank of gas but before the oil change. But, I wanted to lay out all the factors in the spirit of transparency.

Last edited:
Perhaps removing the intake at the turbo, and feeling for excess play on the spool might indicate a bearing issue. Oil taking a second or two to mask the sound. I’d do that just for fear of it grenadine and taking the engine with it.

Perhaps removing the intake at the turbo, and feeling for excess play on the spool might indicate a bearing issue. Oil taking a second or two to mask the sound. I’d do that just for fear of it grenadine and taking the engine with it.
Thanks! I'll keep an eye on things and see if anything changes. On purpose, I had the dealer formally analyze the squeal before my 100K mile mark JUST in case something fails and I can perhaps use that to get warranty coverage if the turbo goes out.

It was a bit of humor but there are pages and pages of posts like that on here. They usually end up in fist fights though.
I recently started running M1 ESP 5W-30, which is supposed to be thicker, and I didn't notice a change in noise (was running Valvoline 5W-30 EP before that).

does the bosch have a anti-drain back valve and the other filters not?,or at least working correctly,,was the correct oil level maintained also,,rather unusal to have happen,was the pcv valve changed ,or even reconnected ,or vacume lines?? messed with,,,check using a EA to determine other issues maybe a thought to try

Back