My engine hates Lubro-Moly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I added a full can of Lubro-Moly MOS2 Anti-Friction Engine Treatment to my '01 GM LS1 engine, and within a few minutes of operation it developed a ticking noise. Stethoscope found it loudest at the valve covers, uniformly present at all points from front to rear.

Background:
The engine had a top-end rebuild a few months ago, new GM LS6 camshaft, Morel link-bar hydraulic roller lifters, PAC 1218 beehive valve springs, properly-sized pushrods yielding 0.063" lifter preload.

It had been quiet for over 3K miles since the refresh, including a track day comprised of five 30-minute road course sessions. Was running Mobil-1 10W-40 High Mileage synthetic oil for the track day, change to M-1 0W-40 afterward and no engine noise had been observed.

I got enfatuated w/ MOS2 after reading about it here, engine sump is 6qt so I added the 300mL can minus 1 shot glass which went into the mower engine.

After hearing the ticking, I dumped the oil and flushed the pan with ~1/2 qt of leftover oil from the shelf. Refilled with Castrol GTX 5W-30 dino oil, new Wix filter, noise still there at the time, but was gone after my 46 mile work commute. Just over 150 miles since then, noise remains gone.

Fair conclusion that the Lubro-Moly, possibly when combined with Mobil-1 0W-40, was the cause of the lifter noise?

Last edited:
Guess so. Maybe the MOS2 was reducing oil flow to the lifters? Very odd. I would've done the same thing you did.

Yeah, odd. I added it to my diesel and it didn't sound any different...

I'd have done what you did if I heard an odd sound...

My bmw seemed to like it in an indifferent sort of way
smile.gif

I don't know how thick MOS2 is, I added very thick VSOT(Valvoline Synpower Oil Teament) to my engines this way: pour the correct amount, 1oz per quart, of VSOT into a quart container, add similar amount of oil into that quart container then shake well, leave that oil and VSOT container in the engine bay then drive to a gas station to fill up, by that time the engine oil is very warm if not hot and the container is very warm too, I then shake the container well, while I fill up the gas I pour it into the oil fill hole. Warm VSOT and warm oil mixes very well in the engine.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I don't know how thick MOS2 is, I added very thick VSOT(Valvoline Synpower Oil Teament) to my engines this way: pour the correct amount, 1oz per quart, of VSOT into a quart container, add similar amount of oil into that quart container then shake well, leave that oil and VSOT container in the engine bay then drive to a gas station to fill up, by that time the engine oil is very warm if not hot and the container is very warm too, I then shake the container well, while I fill up the gas I pour it into the oil fill hole. Warm VSOT and warm oil mixes very well in the engine.

Sorry, this all seems unecessary. I would just pour it in a warm engine and drive. However, I see how many miles on your cars so who am I to say
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
I wonder if the Moly is too slick and causing your lifter to slide instead of roll.

Id do a good flush, like you did, and add a quart of Slick 50......
43.gif

Originally Posted By: Russell
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Sorry, this all seems unecessary. I would just pour it in a warm engine and drive. However, I see how many miles on your cars so who am I to say
smile.gif

You're right, it may be unnecessary. But I felt good doing it that way.
beer3.gif

Mobil has quite some moly in some of their oils.

Im thinking along the lines of moly overdose affecting film strength...

I've added it to 3 vehicles and all 3 quieted down. They are an '02 Bravada which is running Maxlife HM (dino-SN flavor, 140k miles), '99 Jeep Cherokee Classic (4.0, 185k miles-Dino) and a 2010 Dodge Nitro (Dealership did the oil change-had a free coupon) with 12k miles. The Bravada and the Jeep can be a bit noisy, especially at startup and the Lubro has cut down on this a lot!

Last edited:
I had good results with it. If a product doesn't work for someone, move onto something else.

Originally Posted By: crainholio
I added a full can of Lubro-Moly MOS2 Anti-Friction Engine Treatment to my '01 GM LS1 engine, and within a few minutes of operation it developed a ticking noise.

Maybe your Morels just do not like this stuff (the afforementioned rollers sliding instead of rolling, and maybe the needle bearings partially jamming??
21.gif
)?

BTW; what is this in; a Vette or an f body?
I'm asking because VERY few people road race/open track/HPDE f bodies in our state (or anywhere for that matter, and yes I know about frrax.com, and am on there sometimes.
wink.gif
).

Originally Posted By: crainholio
I added a full can of Lubro-Moly MOS2 Anti-Friction Engine Treatment to my '01 GM LS1 engine, and within a few minutes of operation it developed a ticking noise. Stethoscope found it loudest at the valve covers, uniformly present at all points from front to rear.

Background:
The engine had a top-end rebuild a few months ago, new GM LS6 camshaft, Morel link-bar hydraulic roller lifters, PAC 1218 beehive valve springs, properly-sized pushrods yielding 0.063" lifter preload.

Fair conclusion that the Lubro-Moly, possibly when combined with Mobil-1 0W-40, was the cause of the lifter noise?

I have a stock LS engine. I have not noticed a lifter tick with MOS2. I do have the famous cold start knock, but that has nothing to do with MOS2. It is very common, and no oil addictive can cure the noise.

Since you have non-stock lifters, I am guessing that the molly is interfering with the metering valve or whatever that thing is called inside of a hydraulic lifter.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Since you have non-stock lifters, I am guessing that the molly is interfering with the metering valve or whatever that thing is called inside of a hydraulic lifter.

^^This could be the problem as well.

You have a modified engine of indeterminate quality.
Maybe a bit more driving would have let things settle down. Exactly what happened after you changed the oil.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

BTW; what is this in; a Vette or an f body?
I'm asking because VERY few people road race/open track/HPDE f bodies in our state (or anywhere for that matter, and yes I know about frrax.com, and am on there sometimes.
wink.gif
).

It's an F-body LS1 transplanted into an '82 Z28 F-body. I was at Pocono on Memorial Day, great event and very well managed track day.

Good point about the Morels, wish I could figure a way to test that theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back