my drain plug is leaking??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all of the input I checked the vehicle last night when I got home from work I am positive its just the drain bolt My wife is going to stop at Toyota today she is going to pick up a dozen washers from the dealer.. I hope the leak stops I am just going to drain all of the oil and do a full change with a new filter it only has a 1000 mile on it but I am afraid I will make a big mess trying to plug the hole with my hand to save the oil in there.

Originally Posted By: live_to_hunt
I am just going to drain all of the oil and do a full change with a new filter it only has a 1000 mile on it but I am afraid I will make a big mess trying to plug the hole with my hand to save the oil in there.

Well, you could just drain all the oil to a clean container, install the drain plug back with the new washer on it, and then pour the drained oil right back into the engine.

I have used the metal and the crush washers, but I prefer nylon washers you can get at O'Reily's. They come in a pack, sized for the plug, and are reusable. I have been using them for years with never a failure or leak.

If you want another option, go to the dealer and buy new drain plug and bunch of washers. Swap the drain plug but keep the drain pan underneath. Do it on the cold engine. Use your left hand to remove the old one and use your right hand to put the new one in (assuming you are right handed person). I bet you will lose very minimal fluid.

- Vikas

You could also check that the drain plug is actually tight.
You could then just let it leak a little for this OCI, and replace the washer when you change the oil.
In my experience (only 30+ years), the washers under the drain plug normally last the life of the vehicle, which in my case has usually been 15 years or 200K, whichever comes last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back