My co-workers eating habits amaze me

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys would be horrified by a college student's diet!

I eat fast food frequently. I hate everything about going to the grocery store, and I really hate cooking. I go to the grocery store for things I have to buy, and when I'm there I'll usually pick up some healthier stuff like fruit, healthier snacks, rice, soup, etc. If I'm in a patient, good mood, I might even make a trip to Trader Joe's for hippy food. Other than that, I eat a lot of fast food, usually Cookout. I tend to go for things like grilled chicken sandwiches, so it could be worse, but it's still not a good diet.

One of my roommates has a diet far worse than mine. Despite being 21 years old, he still won't eat fruits or vegetables at all. Lettuce on a burger? Forget it, he'll pick it off like it's the nastiest thing he's ever seen. The closest he gets to eating a vegetable is eating fries. He doesn't take any vitamins or supplements either. His diet is entirely cheese, bread, beef, chicken wings, french fries, water, Coke, and beer...nothing else.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
You guys would be horrified by a college student's diet!

Having attended uni in the US I am aware of student's eating habits. I was indeed appalled by what many of my fellow students ate. Many had a small bag of chips and a can of soda for lunch. Their reasoning was that they couldn't afford more. With junk food prices now rather high,* I'd advise them to get a banana, an apple and box of milk for the same price.

It was at uni that my American friends introduced me to such abominations as deep-fried mozzarella sticks and nachos. Sorry, I won't put any of that in my mouth.

*A grilled chicken sandwich at BK with small fries and small soda costs now a bit over $8! I can buy enough quality produce and meat for a meal for two for that.

$8?!?! That's insane.

When I want to spend that much money on food, I go to Showmars (local chain of Greek/American food) and get a grilled chicken pita. A pita with fries is a little under $7.

A grilled chicken sandwich with fries, a chicken wrap, and a drink is less than $5 at Cookout. They have much lower overhead than the typical fast food place since there's no indoor seating.

I can get a large platter of Ono Hawaiian BBQ for about $8, and that stuff is not as unhealthy as typical fast food. But yeah, BK et al are actually expensive and not a good deal at all. Maybe they charge by calorie content?
grin2.gif

I went to a franchise Mexican restaurant last night called Acapulco. A two item plate, served with rice and beans, is less than $10. I'd rather have that than spend $8 at Carl's Jr.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Sun chips ain't cheap either!! Man, I WISH I could find the taco flavored Doritos, they ain't around here.
John K, dude, you are so spot on that it isn't funny. I can't tell you how many times I've seen guys beat their GF or wife and then they go back to them....like the saying "nice guys finish last."

They're packaged like this:

http://www.fritolay.com/our-snacks/doritos-zesty-taco-chipotle-ranch.html

It took me a few trips to the grocery store before I noticed them.

We have a "buffalo wing / blue cheese" combo ATM... My favourite chip right now, actually...

01rangerxl described my stepkids diets perfectly. One's in her second year of college and the 18 year old is a senior in HS.. Both were in half decent shape until they started driving. Now it's Applebee's, McDonald's and Taco Bell.
My stepdaughter was afraid to put on the Freshman fifteen... She blew right past it and put on 40 pounds.
My stepson can't keep up on mountain bike rides any more. I keep tellin' him, a 42 year old shouldn't be passing an 18 year old. I used to run rings around my father and he's only 20 years older than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back