My Car Is Getting A New Roof :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2011 Chevy Malibu LTZ with about 15k miles.

Due to the indiscretion of an un-named teenage kid, my car is now getting a new roof. The kid decided that it would be fun to jump on top of my car and slide across the roof...several times. It left several dents and impressions on the hood. I filed a claim with my insurance, and they are treating it as a comprehensive claim ($100 deductible). Dropped it off at the repair shop yesterday (highly recommended + I've used them before). Just got the call - they want to replace the whole hood instead of trying to repair the dents. They even had an insurance rep come out (Wawanesa insurance), and they also agree.

I really wish this didn't have to be done. My concern is that the car won't be as quiet and rattle/noise-free as it is right now. Front and rear windows have to come out, headline comes down, they cut the spot-welds and remove the roof. I'm just afraid that when things are put back together, there will be some rattle or squeaks that will absolutely drive me nuts! And I hate having to repeately take it back to fix what most would consider minor issues. But the #1 thing that I love about my Malibu is that it is dead-quite.

Will it be the same???

Originally Posted By: bamorris2

Will it be the same???

The repair will probably be OK, but it will never be 100% original for the reasons you mention, and the resale will be affected significantly since it is a structural component that was replaced.

No it will not.

Car will have wind noise issues. And concerns about crash safety, since they are cutting into the car. Like your more major impacts, not the little fender benders. Because you never know today... This from someone who has seen a few roof replacements, and one not end up so good...

If they do cut it, expect to unload it not long after that. I would push the fix the dents, no matter the time or cost. It's your money. Both the insurance company and the repair place are taking the cheaper and easier way out...

Insist on them using all new clips. This will insure a rattle free interior, if they install it correctly. I speak from experience, trust me. The old used, worn and stretched clips are a no no.

Quote:
Will it be the same???

There are so many variables for anyone to give an accurate answer, some have been posted here.

Honestly it depends on the guy doing the work, his welding capabilities and accuracy of the fit.
I agree, a good metal man can probably get those dents out to the point there will be only a skim coat of filler needed.
There will be filler even on the new roof at the seams as they don't use lead anymore.

IMHO this is really preferable to replacement as it does not possible compromise a structural part of the car.
Thing is you really need a good tin knocker not just a bondo artist.
Ask some car restoration places for recommendations of guys with a good rep for knocking tin.
I know an old timer here in MA that still does lead skim coat after straightening. You wont know the difference.

Since the entire fix is $100, I wouldn't be complaining. Just saying.

Could've wound up with a burnt out shell of a car. If you've gone to a good place, I'd say you're fine on the work. Some places will really put in a good effort so hopefully they do.

Resale will be effected because on a report, its a damage claim and a replaced roof. How much is up to who buys the thing. Personally I wouldn't worry if the rest of the car was well maintained.

Last edited:
Oh man, now you guys really have me worried. I know that if it comes back and it's not perfect then I will hate the car. And my wife would kill me if I trade another car. Now I'm thinking to call the body shop on Thursday and tell them to forget about replacement and just repair it even of it's against their recommendation. Maybe I will start by talking with the insurance adjuster to see if they agree to give me the option.

You should also insist on "reduced value payment" as this vehicle will never have the resale or trade value it might have had before.

You have my sympathy and I really feel your pain!
It's hard to say if the car will be as quiet and wind leak free as it was when new. Pray, pray and pray somemore! I believe that things will work out. Keep us posted!

The resale only depends on if the body shop and/or insurance report it to carfax. Not all shops or insurance companies participate.

My wife's Legacy GT has had four body work incidents ranging from $1000-$2000 never her fault(really). And her CarFax is clean
smile.gif

Can't you get the money for the roof replacement and then have the body shop fix the existing roof? If you plan on keeping the car for quite a while, eventually a less than perfect roof has no effect on resale at all.

As a long term manager of a very large collision repair facility, I can assure you 100% that this is actually a very simplistic type of repair. Naturally its "overwhelming" to look at and think about because of the sheer size of the area being replaced. But its a very simple process. You'll have no worries at all.

I'm no automotive engineer, but I would suspect that the actual roof skin replacement isn't that bad.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You're convincing yourself that the car won't be right. Even if it comes out fine, you'll think it's making more wind noise or is somehow different, even if it is exactly the same.

Automotive forums are all full of people who say "It'll never be the same, trade it in." But they'd likely think differently if it was their car and they'd be taking the big depreciation hit on trade in.

I suspect people here claiming the sky is falling are probably blowing it out of proportion.

Now, if they wanted to repair a car that had taken a hard rear hit and damaged a lot of structural components, I'd be a little more worried. But a roof skin? That's doesn't seem too bad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SwampDweller
You should also insist on "reduced value payment" as this vehicle will never have the resale or trade value it might have had before.
^ This.

Like a dummy, I closed the huge, automatic, bifold hangar door on the roof of my jaguar X-Type. It crushed the roof, and compressed it down on its suspension. All 4 tires were crushed flat against the rim. The weight of the hurricane rated door was incredible.

Afterwards, I could not get into the car. The door opened, but the roof was buckled down and there was no room. I was sufficiently annoyed (ha ha) and I punched the roof upwards. It went "bloop" and I could fit in the car. I kept punching under the roof with great anger at myself. Ha.

I was able to get it roughly in a crinkled roof shape. It looked awful, but I was able to drive it home.

I was not going to put any significant money into repairs. So I called the drunk dent wizard guy. He used a rope and a long steel rod with a golf ball on the end. He tied the rope on the upper door frame and used it as a fulcrum for the steel rod w/golf ball.

The result is very acceptable. It is smooth, wrinkle free and can only be detected by looking closely. For sure, he did some other work to get the framework straight, using conventional tools.

If I wanted to make it perfect, all it would take is a careful paint job.

I've been researching this a little more online, and it looks like the roof skin is "serviceable". It doesn't look like removal of the skin will involve disturbing the structural integrity of the car. The body shop said that all of the reinforcements under the skin are undamaged and will not be messed with. Still debating if I should let them proceed with the skin replacement of not, considering my concerns as posted in the OP.

This wasn't your kid was it?

Are you sure they aren't just sectioning in the sheet metal portion and leaving the structural parts in tact?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
This wasn't your kid was it?

sick.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Are you sure they aren't just sectioning in the sheet metal portion and leaving the structural parts in tact?

Per my post directly above yours, that's exactly what I think they're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back