My auto RX results

Status
Not open for further replies.

AUG

I did the high mileage treatment on a Ford modular 4.6 v8 with 250,000 miles.

The auto rx worked well at some things and not well at others. I could see deposit/sludge build up through the oil fill tube before this started and after the two complete cycles I can't notice any difference in this area. However, I had some varnish on the oil dipstick which is now gone.

I also had some leaky valve seals and at the end of the application I still see no difference in area either.

The engine had a very quit "tick" at the rear of the drivers side valve cover and the "tick has gone away.

I used spertech 10w-30 for the first clean/rinse phase and to reduce consumption (from the leaking valve seals) used Havoline 20w-50 for the second clean phase and Motorcraft 15w-40 for the final rinse. The directions were followed to the letter and motorcraft filters were used throughout the treatment.

So to sum thing up for my application:

Deposits/sludge-no difference noticed except for the varnish on the dipstick

leaky valve seals-no difference noted except when 20w-50 was used. 10w-30 and 15w-40 burn about a quart every 500-800 miles before and after auto rx. I fully understand the valve seals need replaced and they will be soon but I am just including this for reference. The 20w-50 cut consumption way down to about 1 quart every 1500 miles but made the engine feel slugish.

"tick" in the top of the engine-completely gone

I was just wonering if I missed a secret auto rx rule to use a certain brand or weight of oil because to be honest I was a little let down at the amount of "cleaning" of the sludge and deposits because it seems most everyone on here had better cleaning results than I did.

Overall I am happy with the auto rx and consider the treatment worth the time, money, and effort. I just wish it cleaned MY engine a little better.

It sounds like you did everything correct. All the oils used were dino. The Auto-Rx did clean as you stated, the tick is gone, so the small tolerance areas are clean. The mass of the sludge will take time with your rinses. Use a 3 ounce maintenance dose and 3K changes.

smile.gif

What you see via the oil fill tube may never come claen, especially if aluminum and varnished. Areas that only see little oil like filler necks do not come clean IMO with RX or anything else for that matter. As to seals, IMO, anything over 100,000 miles and seal leaks RX probably will not fix it. this product does a great job of cleaning in general, all else is a mixed bag IMO.

I'm not all that worried about varnish. The sludge I see through the oil fill tube is on the top of the cylinder head between the valve springs. I don't see how this area would come clean either with the splash type lubrication but I wish I could get it clean.

Aug e-mail me your address and I will send you at N/C another bottle of Auto-Rx. Change Oil to 10-30wt Dino and add bottle - go 1500 miles and change oil and filter. Now go to rinse phase still using 10-30wt Dino oil run for 2000 miles and drain. Go to any oil you want when finished. Please post again.

[ July 29, 2004, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: LarryD ]

quote:

The sludge I see through the oil fill tube is on the top of the cylinder head between the valve springs.

Are you talking "puddy knife" type sludge? As in you could scoop it out and fill a decent size container (I have had some cars, beaters, that were in this condition ..score the sludge and never have a clean oil change ..ever)? I would have a hard time thinking that this will disappear in even three or four ARX applications. The physical size of the filter media cannot sustain that much physical material ..nor can the oil suspend that much.

Frank can obviously correct me and advise otherwise ..but I think that there are limitations to the practical expectations that one can have with Auto-RX. I would still use Auto-RX for an engine in this condition ..since I would not want that much material being introduced into suspension in ONE TREATMENT of some solvent type engine flush. You would definitely want this to disolve in layers ..just like it was created.

Frank- email sent and thank you for the offer. Nice to see someone back up thier product.

Gary- you are right it is "putty" knife sludge.
I think the slow treatment is preferred as well.

Hey Gary I didn't even notice the spelling. I used the quotes to "describe" type of sludge. I thought I spelled it wrong anyway.

Just wanted to tell you I didn't even see the spelling and wouldn't know if it was right or wrong anyway.

Cold day in heII I call someone out on spelling.

Matter of fact this is how I look when I try to spell
freak2.gif

offtopic.gif

To all that may read this:

auto-rx Frank is a stand up guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back