My 318ti Club Sport- 25 Years on...

Yesterday marked 25 years since I picked up my Club Sport from Fields BMW in Chicago. I ordered it in August and I couldn't wait for it to arrive. It is one of 200 built through BMW Individual's Exclusive Edition program. It now has over 147,000 miles on it and I still love to drive it- in fact I drove it to work today. It's still tight and rattle free, but I do plan to fit Bavsound speakers in the doors and kick panels next summer. I'm looking forward to the next quarter-century...
318ti Front qtr crop.JPG

2012 New year (2).JPG

2011 Bimmer 002.jpg

Club Sport Brochure.jpg

I never understood cutting a hole in the roof of a sports car.

My 911 had a sunroof. What a stupid thing. "let's reduce structural rigidity and add weight in the worst place"
ExactlyT The only options offered on the Club Sport were premium sound, a 25% limited slip and a sunroof. I ordered the audio upgrade and the LSD. Then my salesperson calls and tells me that Munich wants to build all the Club Sports with a sunroof- and charge the customers for it. In other words a "Mandatory Option"- a tactic Max Hoffman was notorious for when he was the US distributor for BMW. I did not want a hole in the roof and my salesperson went to bat for me and had it built as I wanted. I believe there were less than 10 Club Sports built without a sunroof.

Beautiful car MCompact. Enjoy her!

I miss mine, but it served its purpose well.

I bought one in '96 then bought a '98 328is and gave the 318ti (w/ 9K miles) to my Dad as a retirement/thank you for everything present. He kept it as a Summer only toy, but unfortunately for medical reasons was unable to drive after 2004 or so.

He loved the car and despite not driving, he maintained it and by '11, it had maybe 30K miles and looked every bit as new.

In 2011, I took my Parents w/ us on a vacation in the mountains and on the way back, Mom fell asleep, Rt93 curved but she didn't. The car clipped a small tree ~3' in the air, tumbled and rolled several times, and landed upside down. They both lived, banged up, but Dad had another 8 years and Mom is still with us. Looking at the wreck, you could clearly see how the ends of the car crumpled, but the passenger compartment retained integrity....impressive.

Last edited:
You mentioned Bavsound. You are going to gain more if you do it your own way.
I did in my E90 my own improvisation, and never looked back.

I tried to find a 318 a few years ago which could be restored to DD use - it’s the best body style IMO, but the ones I found were badly aged and ratted out. I’m familiar with the i6 lifestyle but really preferred the 4 for easy access and sporting fun. The 318 is light on its feet!

m

Back