Tempting Fate: Taking the Club Sport to Hilton Head

Next week marks 26 years since I took delivery of the Club Sport. Last week my wife and I took it to Hilton Head for the BMW Car Club's annual event-now known as "O'Fest Forever"-as well as for the Legends of the Autobahn East. With over 148k miles on the clock I'll admit that I had a bit of trepidation about taking it on a longer trip since the cooling system is totally original with the exception of a thermostat and a heater hose fitting. Nonetheless, it never gave a moments trouble, even when driving for hours on end at 4000 rpm or more(5th gear is 1:1)- and it returned 29 mpg over the entire week. With the exception of the Miata and the BRZ/86, there aren't any small light cars with manual gearboxes that offer such an involving driving experience.

I'm glad it worked out for you. What I don't understand is trepidation. Nothing you offered in the OP indicates a reason to not have faith in a roughly (not sure where in KY you are driving form) 1k mile trip. Sounds like you have done what is needed to keep your vehicle in the appropriate condition.

.... What I don't understand is trepidation. Nothing you offered in the OP indicates a reason to not have faith in a roughly (not sure where in KY you are driving form) 1k mile trip. Sounds like you have done what is needed to keep your vehicle in the appropriate condition.
Older BMWs are notorious for the sudden failure of some plastic component of their cooling systems. And a lot of the cooling system is plastic. So many people recommend routine replacement of all the plastic components of the cooling systems at some point, though what that point is is not so clear.

To be fair, the big problem was with the V8s and not so much with the I6s and i4s. Many of the V8s had failed cooling systems (radiators, etc) within their first decade.

I'm glad it worked out for you too.

The cooling system was the only thing that really worried me. There are a couple of plastic fittings under the intake that are a bear to replace.

Older BMWs are notorious for the sudden failure of some plastic component of their cooling systems. And a lot of the cooling system is plastic. So many people recommend routine replacement of all the plastic components of the cooling systems at some point, though what that point is is not so clear.

To be fair, the big problem was with the V8s and not so much with the I6s and i4s. Many of the V8s had failed cooling systems (radiators, etc) within their first decade.

I'm glad it worked out for you too.

I'd add the N52 that was in my 08 BMW to this as well. Many a driver stranded by a fail with little to no warning plastic cooling part. What plastic parts are in the OP's system to be worried about? I'm asking as I did not realize a 26 year old Club Sport was pushing plastic cooling parts. Club Sport ='s M3 in my noodle. Pretty cool car.

I'd add the N52 that was in my 08 BMW to this as well. Many a driver stranded by a fail with little to no warning plastic cooling part. What plastic parts are in the OP's system to be worried about? I'm asking as I did not realize a 26 year old Club Sport was pushing plastic cooling parts. Club Sport ='s M3 in my noodle. Pretty cool car.
@BISCUT What is this part in the N52?

@MCompact Thats a great car! Always enjoy hearing about it. Sure don’t see them around very often.

Back