My 10% Ethanol vs. Supreme gas with no ethanol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a experiment in my Ford Focus today had to drive a round trip of 1150 kms. I usually fill with regular with 10% ethanol as I did before I left. 2nd tank I filled with supreme without ethanol I increased my fuel mileage by 12 % without ethanol! The supreme coat me 3.00 more per tank but I got 76 kms more out of tank. So with the added mileage per tank I figured out the my savings per tank is 4.20 less the 3.00 is 1.20! Based on the amount of gas I use in a year I will save roughly 120 a year not that big a deal but can go 76 kms further and cheaper per tank! Plus I also drove harder with the supreme ...so probably would have been even better if I drove the same . This happened to anyone else?? Is 91 and higher octane for my car? I would put down calculations however I just drove 12 or so hours.

I can only speak for Shell gas in my area. It is posted on the pumps. Regular (bronze) contains up to 10% ethanol. Mid-grade (silver) contains up to 5% ethanol. Premium (V-Power) contains zero ethanol.

Other brands such as Esso don't seem to display their ethanol content at the pump.

I prefer the Shell premium anyway.

aaxb970... your 12% gain sounds a bit high, considering there is most likely no more than 10% ethanol in the regular fuel to start with and even that will produce some thermal energy. I can't honestly tell the difference right now, but then again everything is out the window with the extreme cold we have been dealing with. Next summer should be more revealing.

Esso is non-ethanol. All grades.

Give it a try. Gives me 50Km extra per tank over the ethanol laden Sunoco.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Esso is non-ethanol. All grades.

Give it a try. Gives me 50Km extra per tank over the ethanol laden Sunoco.

My understanding is that all brands retailed in Saskatchewan are required to have a certain amount of ethanol in them, by provincial law.

We're on Ontario though, both myself and the OP. No idea bout Sask, sorry
frown.gif

Gaining that much MPG, or KPG in this case, doesn't seem right. To me, the engine is running more efficeintly at the higher octane. Sometimes that happens.

My area says that all grades may contain up to 10% ethanol, so there's really no way to tell what you're buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back