Ethanol free gas

Y not a shot (yes 1 oz) of preservative like stabil? Easy enuff. I hada sno plow (carby/6 cyl) I'd fill every 2 yrs or so in the no alcohol days, never a start/run problem, even left 9 mo not today... alcohol gas starts to degrade in the 1st 2, 3 wks (mild) till at 2, 3 mo it's pretty bad.
(C Subie's #22 - closed tight, in the shadows/cooler)

Last edited:
We frequent NC quite often. So I decided to bring an empty gas jug to fill up with 93 ethanol free gas. It was only $4,099/gallon. I figure i'll use on my lawn tractor and snowblower. We don't have ethanol free gas in MA. How long can I expect the ethanol free gas to last without it going bad? The 5.5 gallons will probably last to next summer.
Double-dose it with Stabil Marine, and use it within 12 months if possible. Keep closed & in cool place in the meantime.

I wish they had the non ethanol 93 Octane here they only have 92. But it increases my MPG on the open Highway by about 5.6 MPG 91 Octane non ethanol only about 3.6.

I wish they had the non ethanol 93 Octane here they only have 92. But it increases my MPG on the open Highway by about 5.6 MPG 91 Octane non ethanol only about 3.6.
I was surprised how effective going to ethanol free was. I can get 93 with ethanol here, but only 91 without. I'm still getting around 1.5-2 mpg calculated on a car that typically gets 34mpg. I'm sure I can get a hint more power under boost with 93, but it should be negligible and I pay the same for 91 octane, so I'll take the increase in fuel economy.

I was surprised how effective going to ethanol free was. I can get 93 with ethanol here, but only 91 without. I'm still getting around 1.5-2 mpg calculated on a car that typically gets 34mpg. I'm sure I can get a hint more power under boost with 93, but it should be negligible and I pay the same for 91 octane, so I'll take the increase in fuel economy.
I’m not sure those kinds of increases are even possible; ethanol has roughly 30% less energy than gasoline… so in pure mathmatical calculations, there will be a 3% hit for E10. On a car that gets 33.3mpg, this would be a theoretical 1mpg increase by going to E0. Anything more is purely noise and not attributable to the gasoline. As @kschachn has noted many times, there are so many variables in one’s daily drive, it is nearly impossible to discern any true mileage increase attributable solely to one factor.

I’m not sure those kinds of increases are even possible; ethanol has roughly 30% less energy than gasoline… so in pure mathmatical calculations, there will be a 3% hit for E10. On a car that gets 33.3mpg, this would be a theoretical 1mpg increase by going to E0. Anything more is purely noise and not attributable to the gasoline. As @kschachn has noted many times, there are so many variables in one’s daily drive, it is nearly impossible to discern any true mileage increase attributable solely to one factor.
That’s basically what I said. I hand calculate every time and I drive a lot of highway miles. It falls in the range you just stated. I normally get 34-35 mpg and I’ve been seeing as high as 37mpg which I’ve never had out of the car before this.

Y not a shot (yes 1 oz) of preservative like stabil? Easy enuff. I hada sno plow (carby/6 cyl) I'd fill every 2 yrs or so in the no alcohol days, never a start/run problem, even left 9 mo not today... alcohol gas starts to degrade in the 1st 2, 3 wks (mild) till at 2, 3 mo it's pretty bad.
(C Subie's #22 - closed tight, in the shadows/cooler)
I wish I could understand that "dialect text better" not sure why you think its good to type like that.
Is there an internet translator?
What the heck is a "subie #22 closed tight in the shadows?"

We frequent NC quite often. So I decided to bring an empty gas jug to fill up with 93 ethanol free gas. It was only $4,099/gallon. I figure i'll use on my lawn tractor and snowblower. We don't have ethanol free gas in MA. How long can I expect the ethanol free gas to last without it going bad? The 5.5 gallons will probably last to next summer.
I have had a couple of instances where the ethanol free gas was not ethanol free.......Here in NC. How do I know, I separated the ethanol from it using water.

I would use stabil like others have said in small engines.

Pretty sure all our fuel in California is E15... Never had any issues from this even in older vehicles.

I looked into this pretty extensively and the Federal regulations that limit it's use AND require it to be clearly labelled as such on the pump...apply nationwide, even in California.

Sorry, I guess I meant 10%

Pretty much any area that requires emissions testing will also require gasoline to be at least 10% ethanol (85% and 15% are also allowed to be sold)...from what I've seen, anyway.

So to get ethanol-free gas I have to drive to a gas station in the next county over, because no gas station in this county is allowed to sell it. That's about a 20 mile, one way-trip.

I've been using E10 in my riding mower and it hasn't caused me any problems in the 6 years I've been doing that. I don't even drain it out over the winter, and it still fires right up in spring. I do (sometimes) add a bit of TCW3 to the gas before the end of mowing season.

I wish I could understand that "dialect text better" not sure why you think its good to type like that.
Is there an internet translator?
What the heck is a "subie #22 closed tight in the shadows?"
“Why not use a bit of stabil? Easy enough. I had a snowplow (carbureted, 6 cylinder) that I would fill every 2 years or so before ethanol and never had a problem. Can’t do even 9 months now… ethanol blended gas starts to degrade in 2-3 weeks till it’s really bad at 2-3 months.”

I think he’s also referring to Suby’s post about keeping your gas cans stored sealed and out of sunlight.

Yes, I’m procrastinating doing other things at the moment and found translating that to be a better use of time. Also my brother used to speak in “Boomhauer” when we were little and I was his translator because I was the only one who seemed to understand him 🤷🏻‍♂️

I wish we had ethanol free here in CT. But noooo cant have that. I'd love to run a few tanks of it in my truck to see how it does on it.

I wish we had ethanol free here in CT. But noooo cant have that. I'd love to run a few tanks of it in my truck to see how it does on it.
Not much here although its increasing in popularity.
Previously maybe 1 station in 50miles besides marinas.
Now 4-5

In a modern fuel injected car ethanol free will make virtually no difference, ethanol free gas it's biggest advantage in small engines, and on older carbed cars that sit for long periods of time.

Ethanol blend Stabil is green, the red stuff will not help much with the ethanol. My friend has a Nissan 240SX with a 2.0L turbo he built for racing. He called me on day because it wouldn't start. It had spark, had fuel but would not fire up. I told him to drain it and put fresh gas in there.....the fuel was about 6 months old. He insisted it wasn't the problem because he had added the red Stabil, I was annoyed and asked him why he even asked me for help! When we drained it was cloudy, and a bit dark. We added fresh E10 and it fired up perfectly.

Does anyone have a “gauge” of gas containing ethanol in relation to Octane? In other words, I’m pretty sure, that 91 octane is ethanol free, and most of the stations that advertise that do in fact have 91 octane listed as “ethanol free”. So what other grades, if any would be considered ethanol free?

Most E0 is at least 89 octane. I've seen pumps marked anywhere from 89 to 91. Most common marking is 90.
How many tanks at the tank farm are dedicated to multiple octanes, I'll bet there is only one E0 tank.
I wonder if they even put a brand specific additive pack into it at the rack.

Back