My #1 Service Station Gripe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by blupupher
I have also started buying store cards (Sunoco/Stripes and Walmart gift cards mostly) for my daughter to use to fill up with. Saves $0.03/gallon and no worry about scammers.

^This. I've had credit cards skimmed twice. If I pay at the pump now it's with the station's branded gift card. Haven't had a problem since then.

Originally Posted by opus1
Originally Posted by blupupher
I have also started buying store cards (Sunoco/Stripes and Walmart gift cards mostly) for my daughter to use to fill up with. Saves $0.03/gallon and no worry about scammers.

^This. I've had credit cards skimmed twice. If I pay at the pump now it's with the station's branded gift card. Haven't had a problem since then.
I already have too many credit and debit cards to carry around. I just want the oil companies to pony-up and install chip readers in their pumps (they already have them inside the stores). Visa and Master Card have mandated that they do this by Oct 1 2020 or they will be responsible for the theft and use of credit card information from one of their pumps, but the oil company's way out is this... how can anybody prove that the information was stolen at one of their pumps and not somewhere else? The oil companies have maintained that installing chip readers in their pumps will be too costly. Really? Do the oil companies not make enough profit to pay for this? The proof that this is total BS is that they are building new locations with new pumps all the time and they STILL do not have chip readers. When questioned about it, their stock answer is that "anyone concerned with the theft of credit/debit card information from one of their pumps should pay inside" (giving up convenience for security). Nonsense!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad
I'm not a fan of the person who has to open their lottery tickets in line.

This is really bad at the Casey's by where I work and what gets me is the clerks won't tell them to move even though there are 10 people waiting to check out.

"IF YOU SCRATCH YOUR LOTTERY TICKET WHILE STANDING HERE, SHOULD YOU WIN ANYTHING, YOU WILL HAVE TO SPLIT IT WITH EVERYONE WAITING BEHIND YOU IN THE LINE."

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mjk
My number 1 gripe is lotto, pull tabs, etc.

By people who shouldn't be gambling their money away (mostly).

Well it's not theirs afterwards! Reminds me of the phrase a fool and his money are soon parted.

Every gas station I've ever used has been pre-pay from what I can remember. If paying cash, you must go inside, hand over cash to cashier and tell them the pump #. If you pump under the cash amount you gave, you go back inside for change. This is a hassle, so I use a CC. The pumps won't do anything unless you pre-pay. I'm surprised this isn't the case everywhere.

If I pump gas and need to run inside for something, I pull up to a parking space to move my car, unless the station is completely dead (i.e. it's late at night). Otherwise, I'm courteous and move my car so others can use the pump.

Biggest grips are definitely the lotto ticket buyers who need to buy 8 different kinds of lotto games and clog up the entire line. Smart gas stations with the incessant lotto ticket buyers will generally have a separate cashier/area for the lotto ticket buyers. Can't stand it, lottery is nothing more than a tax on the poor IMHO.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by mjk
My number 1 gripe is lotto, pull tabs, etc. By people who shouldn't be gambling their money away (mostly).

Well it's not theirs afterwards! Reminds me of the phrase a fool and his money are soon parted.

It always seems like the people who buy the most lottery tickets, are usually the one's who look like they can afford it the least? (Junk car with a $10 fuel purchase + $125.00 worth of cigarettes and lottery tickets).

My #1 pet peeve is people leaving their ridiculously loud stereos blaring while they're pumping gas, or they go into the store...

Originally Posted by GMFan
Every gas station I've ever used has been pre-pay from what I can remember. If paying cash, you must go inside, hand over cash to cashier and tell them the pump #. If you pump under the cash amount you gave, you go back inside for change. This is a hassle, so I use a CC. The pumps won't do anything unless you pre-pay. I'm surprised this isn't the case everywhere.

Same here, unless they're some sort of suuuuper old ones you see in some '70s western-style small desert town movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back