My 06 Acura TL is pretty much brand new now

My mom owned a 1988 Accura and then a 2002 Accura and they are nice but pos's both needed lots of leaks repaired.

My dad had an '05 TL for a few years, they're great cars. Sure, the early transmissions were fragile but not overly so.

Currently, I have a customer who owns an '04 base model with the 6-speed and Brembo brakes. Grey over grey with maybe 80k miles on it. I've asked him many times if he'd consider selling and I always get the same response: never!

I miss my 280k mile Pontiac Vibe... Aka Toyota Matrix, or Corolla Hatchback.
I still have 2 Vibe GTs, both with 6sp manual. Super fun to drive. The 2ZZ-GE engines probably won't make it to 280K but both are still going strong at ~125K miles. Recently replaced clutch and timing cover gasket on both. Orange car needed a new intake camshaft, silver car needed 3rd gear synchro. All work done in my garage.

2vibes_tiny.JPG

Your TL will give you years of enjoyment. My 08 TL is my daily driver until my new Rav4 Hybrid gets built and shipped to my destination. I second adding Lubegard Red to that automatic transmission. I have been doing 20k spills and fills since purchased in 2012 with 67k on the vehicle. Now at 138k and still runs like a charm. Car can boogie if need be with 259 horsepower and front wheel drive. Enjoy......

I almost bought one years ago. Haggled with seller, ended up walking away. Kicking myself to this day.
Sadly, most of the good ones are gone. There's a few still out there, but they hit the price point where kids could get them and modify them...and then wreck them. That and there seems to be a greater concentration in the NY/NJ area, so lots of salt cars on top of that. I see a couple in the TL FB groups every week that get plowed into something and destroyed.

I hold no delusion that mine will one day be worth a pile of money. I just like the car and want to keep it for a good long while and keep it nice.

Only way I would have replaced all that stuff is if I did it myself. To pay a shop to do it is not worth it and I would have not bought and invested that much in repairs for a 17 year old, poorly maintained vehicle. I highly doubt you would ever fetch would you have totally invested into it.

Only way I would have replaced all that stuff is if I did it myself. To pay a shop to do it is not worth it and I would have not bought and invested that much in repairs for a 17 year old, poorly maintained vehicle. I highly doubt you would ever fetch would you have totally invested into it.
I don't think he invested in financial gains down the road. This looks more like an investment into personal joy, fun, and happiness factor. And that type of investment I support 100%.

You should try making time to do something that makes you happy. Numbers don't always tell the full story.

I don't think he invested in financial gains down the road. This looks more like an investment into personal joy, fun, and happiness factor. And that type of investment I support 100%.

You should try making time to do something that makes you happy. Numbers don't always tell the full story.
Thank you, Dr. Phil.

I had the last oil leak fixed yesterday, the rear main seal was replaced. I bought this car in September 2021 from a friend for $4K. I spent over double that in fixing the oil leaks and replacing worn out parts. The more I drive it, the more I love it. The J32 V6 is so smooth and this is the pinnacle of Acura cars for being driver centric and fun to drive. I bought the car with 159,000 miles and it has 166,000 now. I ride my motorcycle most days and the TL is my back up car. This is what I replaced on it. I had two different shops perform this work and both said the J32 will easily last 300K.

tires
wheels
front rotors and pads
rear pads
4 struts
upper and lower front control arms
front ball joints
front end links
front sway bar bushings
front outer tie rods
3 transmission mounts
2 engine mounts
valve cover gaskets
valve adjustment
spark plugs
oil pump reseal
spool valve seals
cam seals
front crank seal
rear crank seal
cam plate seals
vvt solenoid seal
water pump
timing belt
timing belt tensioner
windshield
Honda/Acuras are nimble handling, fun to drive, have exciting dashboard/speedometers to look at, and when you're sitting in one, it just feels right.

I really like the 1990's Honda/Acuras Legends and NSX's. Also, I like the 2006/2007 Acura RL's with their all wheel drive system.
My son asked me if money was no object and I could have any car in the world regardless of price, what car would I choose.
My answer to him was a red 1991 Acura NSX. Acura still makes the parts for these 1990's era NSX's, which is really nice of Acura to do.

I watched a youtube vidoe of a guy who bought a used Acura NSX about 17 years ago and used it as a daily driver. The car now has over 400,000 miles on it, and the body looks brand new. When you buy an NSX, you get Honda reliability.

Last edited:
I approve this thread lol.

I, too, primarily drive an older vehicle most would not have given the time of day.. came into my life literally a month or two after March 2020 time when things were.. different . It was available and I got it.

I've since spent multiple times more the purchase price (I believe mine cost $700. Yes, less than $1K in 2020) and, again,... I am primarily at odds and sometimes in disagreement with a few people over my choice of "what I'm doing with the vehicles".. I like how this thread details how their older vehicles drive as/like new, and save on other costs.

I'm not saying I'll be driving what I have for the rest of my life. I'm just saying im not actively looking for something new. And I turned down a 2006 Altima over the weekend. Was seriously thinking about a change.

I'll leave it there but. This may be my new favorite thread. My post would rival the first one. Again, I'm not met with "That's great!" Or "Way to go!" over the vehicular history and how I have a "mostly everything you can think of has been replaced" vehicle.. however, again, I appreciate this thread and want to make better choices. The car is a part of the picture that would otherwise be incomplete without it.

Your car looks good, @Finklejag . Based on what I know.. my car will be seen by some here towards the end of May.

The other one has a few more grocery-getter dings and salt flung across a road chips than I would like, as does my primary vehicle, but overall it looks good, as well. Toro! Here is a recent pic. Comfy ride. Smooth and pretty powerful. New cars don't always ride good....
Screenshot_20230403-082212_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230403-082418_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Back