Mustang Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
I just can't get past the horsepower/quarter mile times. The Camaro having nearly 100 more H.P. but being only .1 quicker in the quarter mile cannot be totally explained with a 300 lbs difference between the two. In my opinion, this is a real disappointment for G.M. and Camaro fans. I would take the Mustang too...there's something about knowing that the energy output of your car is more efficiently used than something that has that amount of driveline loss.

No they were talking about 0-60 times. The mustang GT is nowhere near as fast in the 1/4 as the SS. To keep it simple and not argue well so and so will drive it faster. The SS per C&D goes 13 flat @ 111mph, and the 2010 MGT goes 13.6@104mph.

However we all know people are capable of destroying cag mag times, so I'd imagine the SS will see faster 1/4 mile times. The Mustang, not so sure about. I remember one mag tested the GT in previous years go to 13.5s, but you'll find MOST people can barely get them in the 13s.

Last edited:
Amazing how non of these mags has a V6 Mustang Vs Camaro comparo.

Obviously, the idea is to make GM look bad.

And I like the Mustang.

Why would the V6 comparo be valid? Mustang V6 sales far outsell the GT.

Originally Posted By: Buffman
I just can't get past the horsepower/quarter mile times. The Camaro having nearly 100 more H.P. but being only .1 quicker in the quarter mile cannot be totally explained with a 300 lbs difference between the two. In my opinion, this is a real disappointment for G.M. and Camaro fans. I would take the Mustang too...there's something about knowing that the energy output of your car is more efficiently used than something that has that amount of driveline loss.

No they were talking about 0-60 times. The mustang GT is nowhere near as fast in the 1/4 as the SS. To keep it simple and not argue well so and so will drive it faster. The SS per C&D goes 13 flat @ 111mph, and the 2010 MGT goes 13.6@104mph.

However we all know people are capable of destroying cag mag times, so I'd imagine the SS will see faster 1/4 mile times. The Mustang, not so sure about. I remember one mag tested the GT in previous years go to 13.5s, but you'll find MOST people can barely get them in the 13s.

What is the price difference between the SS and the GT500? GT500KR?

And what is the performance difference?

There are two levels of Mustang above the GT.....

This is true in most cases. LS1 Camaro and Trans Ams had some Mag times of 14 seconds flat when there is proof that people can get times of 13 flat (even though I'd say the average driver gets a 13.4)

Give it a few months and the 1/4 times will start really rolling in online.
-------------

Back on topic: I like the new Camaro's for the most part but it really depends on the package. I saw a stripped down silver 6cyl which I wasn't too fond of but just yesterday I saw a Orange SS and it really looked awesome.

The SS is killed in the 0-60 department by it's 20" wheels and rubber which look great but don't comapre to a good 275/40/17 GSD3 or BFG KD at getting decent 0-60 times. Adding a set of 17" wheels with drag radials should net stock SS's an easy 4.5 or less 0-60 with a competent driver. GM's torque management does not help in getting the full power of the engine to the ground. Ford seems to have better stock tuning on the Mustang.

Yep, the SS is much quicker the faster the speed climbs. It's trap speed of 111 will rape a similar Mustang that traps 104mph. You can normally figure .75 to 1 car length for each mph in trap speed. Say a GT and SS do a 40mph roll race. That's an easy 8 car lengths the SS will pull easily.

I wanted to keep my 02 SS until the 5th Gen's came out but needed a truck and sold it last August. Now I can't afford a new SS along with the truck and house.

The Mustang is an amazing car, Ford knows what they're doing and got it right.

Beautiful car, 0-60 sub 5 seconds, around 30K..... we have a winner!

The V6 stangs seem nice as well. I raced my buddies 2007 last weekend, and beat him w/ my Mark VIII. Won by about 2 car lengths. Not bad though, 0-60 on the sixer is 6.9.

I think the Camaro pricing isn't bad at all to be honest. We just have to wait for all the dealer mark-up nonsense to go away.

Originally Posted By: Ryan02SS

The SS is killed in the 0-60 department by it's 20" wheels and rubber which look great but don't comapre to a good 275/40/17 GSD3 or BFG KD at getting decent 0-60 times. Adding a set of 17" wheels with drag radials should net stock SS's an easy 4.5 or less 0-60 with a competent driver. GM's torque management does not help in getting the full power of the engine to the ground. Ford seems to have better stock tuning on the Mustang.

Not really. There is a lot left on the table with Ford's driv-by-wire calibration. The Mustang also has a form of "torque management".

I was thinking about this over the winter: With the new Mustang, Camaro and Challenger, the SCCA American Sedan class racing will be VERY interesting for the next few years. :D

I've got an '08 Mustang GT/CS convertible. Nice car, plenty of power, good looks. I must admit though that it's handling is only barely adequate. It feels heavy and sort of cumbersome. Nice engine though....truly love the HP and the torque. One thing though....I had an '07 Mazda MX5 Miata that I thought was far more fun to drive, much, much, better handling, and had that rare feeling of balance in all areas. I somehow wish that the Mustang could have that balance. No, the MX5 wasn't extremely fast in a 0-60 sense....but on a track or curvy roads it was like a dream.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I've got an '08 Mustang GT/CS convertible. Nice car, plenty of power, good looks. I must admit though that it's handling is only barely adequate. It feels heavy and sort of cumbersome. Nice engine though....truly love the HP and the torque. One thing though....I had an '07 Mazda MX5 Miata that I thought was far more fun to drive, much, much, better handling, and had that rare feeling of balance in all areas. I somehow wish that the Mustang could have that balance. No, the MX5 wasn't extremely fast in a 0-60 sense....but on a track or curvy roads it was like a dream.

Try an '03/04 Cobra.....

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
There's a Speed Channel Test Drive on later this afternoon.

Just caught the end of that a few minutes ago. My main problem with magazine articles and TV spots about the new Mustang is that they make me want to trade for one!

I'll [censored] buy whatever fits my needs..
wink.gif

My standardI is if I'd keep it if I won it in a raffle or trade it back. There are narly few cars I'd spend my own money on, and that's no fun. So winning a mustang in a raffle, I'd probally keep it.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Try an '03/04 Cobra.....

Those cars are bad*ss!

03 Cobra w/ Forged internals and a Kenne Bell @18PSI......... my dream car.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Try an '03/04 Cobra.....

Those cars are bad*ss!

03 Cobra w/ Forged internals and a Kenne Bell @18PSI......... my dream car.

'03 Cobra with a set of turbos on it is mine
grin2.gif
A client of mine had one, thing made 750RWHP @ 14psi on pump gas. On a more aggressive tune with a little more boost, it made 850RWHP. And it was a daily driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back