Musk Says Tesla ‘Dug Our Own Grave’ With The Cybertruck

So ugly it makes a Rivian look good by comparison.

If they could actually produce for $40K some people might buy it despite hideous factor. But at $100K it just another useless electric truck no one except Musk fanboys will buy.

Ugly is an unpardonable sin in any product that is essentially a luxury. But even ugliness aside, what capability does the thing offer that makes it a compelling value in any way? Can it two especially heavy? Have extra long range? Is it amazing off-road or something? No?

Well then the only people that will buy it are the existing Tesla owners who want to feed their superiority complexes. They drive a "superior" car or truck because they are smarter, wealthier, and more virtuous than you.

So ugly it makes a Rivian look good by comparison.

If they could actually produce for $40K some people might buy it despite hideous factor. But at $100K it just another useless electric truck no one except Musk fanboys will buy.
Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. I find it pretty ugly, but is has grown on me.
I think you are spot on regarding a $100K Cybertruck, or any pickup for that matter. Why anyone would pay that kinda money is beyond me.
I'll keep my trusty 01 Tundra...

Last edited:
It's not even that it's ugly (okay, so maybe it actually is ugly), it's that it's just so weird.

There's a home for sale that's reasonably local to me. By all accounts, it is immaculately constructed using incredibly high quality materials and workmanship.

The problem: It looks like it's from a fairy tale. No straight walls, curved roof, the siding is all cedar shingles and stone. It looks like something from Snow White.

It was completed in 2022 and has been on the market ever since.

Why? Because nobody wants to live in the hobbit house. Even if it is a work of art, it's just too weird.

Sure, you may find some Disney freak or a weirdo that spends too much time at renaissance fairs who thinks it's absolutely perfect. For everyone else, they just want a reasonably normal looking house.

Same thing with the Cybertruck. It'll find some Tesla weirdos who want to marry Elon or people who are trying to make a statement, but most truck buyers just want a truck that looks and functions like a truck.

When I heard of Elon's recent comments about the Cyber truck, I wondered if he is starting to feel that he overpromised on the design/features. I've recently seen a few articles mentioning that leaked images suggest that the Cyber truck is lacking some features that the Tesla enthusiasts were looking forward to.

One thing that really surprises me is the final size. It was recently reported that someone took opportunity to throw a tape measure up against a Cyber truck that was parked in public. The rear bumper measured 72" in width. That is over 9" narrower than the Rivian R1T, which measures 81.8", wide, without the mirrors. So it isn't the big truck that we were all led to believe it would be.

And as with the other models, delivery keeps getting pushed out. Tesla has missed the promised 3Q delivery, and I haven't heard a new promise date yet. Insiders were hoping deliveries would start before end of 4Q '23. We will see.

While I agree that the Cyber Truck is goofy looking, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. From the number of deposits that Tesla has collected, it is clear that there are plenty out there who disagree with us.

On the Q3 investors call musk blamed just about everything and everyone but himself. One of the executives Tom Zhou along with musk said they're pushing back on rapid completion of the factory in Mexico. Previously what 6 months ago it was full steam ahead on that.

The majority of the deposits were put down on a $40k price tag. If this abomination comes out below $75k, it will be a surprise. How many $100 refunds will have to be processed. Would a mass refund of $99,000,000.00 be an accounting line at Tesla?

The majority of the deposits were put down on a $40k price tag. If this abomination comes out below $75k, it will be a surprise. How many $100 refunds will have to be processed. Would a mass refund of $99,000,000.00 be an accounting line at Tesla?
From what I've read the battery alone is what $25-$30 grand? Add that I think some people are getting insurance shock. From what I've seen a number of people with deposits have been quoted $4,850-$5,880 a year on insurance. It sounds like it will be a throw away vehicle with very little repairable options. So much for "saving the planet " according to Musk.

LOL. Not even close. The Cybertruck won't make or break Tesla. The low cost model priced under the Model 3 and autonomous driving might.
Musk Also confirmed at the Q3 call that the Gigafactory in Mexico is being pushed way back no rush on completion.

When I heard of Elon's recent comments about the Cyber truck, I wondered if he is starting to feel that he overpromised on the design/features. I've recently seen a few articles mentioning that leaked images suggest that the Cyber truck is lacking some features that the Tesla enthusiasts were looking forward to.

One thing that really surprises me is the final size. It was recently reported that someone took opportunity to throw a tape measure up against a Cyber truck that was parked in public. The rear bumper measured 72" in width. That is over 9" narrower than the Rivian R1T, which measures 81.8", wide, without the mirrors. So it isn't the big truck that we were all led to believe it would be.

And as with the other models, delivery keeps getting pushed out. Tesla has missed the promised 3Q delivery, and I haven't heard a new promise date yet. Insiders were hoping deliveries would start before end of 4Q '23. We will see.

While I agree that the Cyber Truck is goofy looking, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. From the number of deposits that Tesla has collected, it is clear that there are plenty out there who disagree with us.
Initially the Cybertruck was going to be offered in Europe as well. Once the original dimensions were revealed it was noted that it would be classified as a commercial vehicle and face heavy taxes and the need for a commercial driving license. Magically it was pulled from European order books. I still don't believe that there are two million actual deposits for this.

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. I find it pretty ugly, but is has grown on me.
I think you are spot on regarding a $100K Cybertruck, or any pickup for that matter. Why anyone would pay that kinda money is beyond me.
I'll keep my trusty 01 Tundra...
I saw in facebook a Ford dealership boasting on offering a new pickup truck at MSRP at $104k, and the only markup is ceramic coating at $1600. Seems to be buyers of pickups at $100k+. I don't get it..... but by numerous indications $100k pickups have buyers...... In the state of Washington the sales tax alone on a $100k vehicle is $10k.........

I saw in facebook a Ford dealership boasting on offering a new pickup truck at MSRP at $104k, and the only markup is ceramic coating at $1600. Seems to be buyers of pickups at $100k+. I don't get it..... but by numerous indications $100k pickups have buyers...... In the state of Washington the sales tax alone on a $100k vehicle is $10k.........
Must be nice. I'm currently looking for a better paying job. The housing market average in Colorado is now depending on who you adk between $580K to $650k. I guess why not throw on a 100k dollar truck too.

Reactions: GON
Must be nice. I'm currently looking for a better paying job. The housing market average in Colorado is now depending on who you adk between $580K to $650k. I guess why not throw on a 100k dollar truck too.
Some surveys are now showing Colorado as the second highest housing market in the USA, second only to Hawaii and now higher than California. Must be something in that Colorado water.....

Some surveys are now showing Colorado as the second highest housing market in the USA, second only to Hawaii and now higher than California. Must be something in that Colorado water.....
Yes, there is! Radon!!😆
I have two family members there, one recently moved house went for over a million and significantly more then list price and they paid 650k just a couple (at most) years back... thing is the new home in the new state cost just as much.
The house sold the first weekend and it had SEVEN offers. Buyer paid cash and allowed them to stay in the house at NO cost for 2 more months while kids finished school.
I know this sounds like BS as I would be thinking that, but it's true.

Just today and last night I was looking at where I grew up on Long Island, sale price of homes. Many memories of friends who lived in them, guess the parents are passing. I cant believe the prices they are selling as crazy as CO in some areas of the island.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: GON
I saw some photos yesterday of the Cybertruck with a couple of dozen dents in the left side doors from bullet impacts. Elon says he unloaded a magazine from a Tommy gun at it.The .45 ACP rounds didn't penetrate. Of course many other calibers and bullet types would. What was the purpose of the test ?

Oh, to prove Elon is whack. But at least he has a sense of humor. He's also known for being rather dramatic in his statements so I wouldn't take his quote about digging their own graves with much seriousness.

They will sell the Cybertrucks as fast as they can make them and they will be profitable. What does it matter what the owners pay for them or their reasons for wanting one ? Tesla is in the business of selling vehicles (and other products and services) making a profit and being financially responsible towards their shareholders. Hopefully the shareholders will see anything from a reasonable return on their investments up to astronomical returns on their investments. But if some people feel better about themselves by trash talking Tesla owners, have a good time.

Back