Muscle Rubs (Bengay, Icy Hot, etc.)

I've got chronic back pain from a construction accident about 21 years ago. I'm on prescription pain killers and muscle relaxers. I sometimes use Aleve, BC Arthritis powders, and IcyHot/Ben Gay. If it will help relieve pain I use it. I've never tried Bio Freeze Professional but, regular Bio Freeze does nothing for my pain. When I have flare-ups taking Aleve regularly for a few days helps with inflammation and usually relieves some pain for several hours after taking it.

Who here uses them besides me?
I was a pipe fitter/welder (pipe fitter 98% of the time) for 39 years. I am right handed but for all those years I always carried pipe on my left shoulder. And, I have been feeling it in my left shoulder/rotator cuff since retiring. I have seen a Dr. about it and she suggested a shoulder/rotator cuff surgery. But in the mean time she suggested a muscle rub when it acts up.
I have been using WM's brand of Icy Hot and Bengay with okay results. This past Friday one of my neighbors gave me a roll on bottle of Professional BIOFREEZE. Man, that stuff works! I have been using it for only 3 days now and am wondering where my shoulder pain went?
Does anyone else here use a muscle rub, specifically BIOFREEZE? I hear BLU EMU is some good stuff too.

I referee hockey and my age is catching up to me... A little biofreeze on my back usually helps if get any pain. The stuff is amazing!

Just my $0.02

Most are a combination of menthol, salicylate, and/or capsaicin. They have to be used in moderation. They basically just trigger various pain receptors in order to distract the brain from feeling aches. There's other stuff like Heet. Strike that - I can't find it except at jacked up prices, which suggests it's been discontinued.

Applying direct heat might be better.

Other than that, they tend to smell unless contained in a patch. There are various patches. I have some Chinese friends who use this weird stuff that comes in rolls. Salonpas has always had patches as well as their liquid version. Then there's Tiger Balm from Singapore.

I had an uncle (now passed away, my dad's brother) who gave me some advice on bad lower back pain I had. He told me to lay flat on the floor on my stomach with my shirt off and get a naked 18 year old girl to walk on my back. I asked if that would help my back. He told me "no" but it would take my mind off the pain!!!

When I read the title I was excited to write about Biofreeze. The active ingredient is the same or less than other stuff but it has a lot of inactive herbs or extracts that seem to do something. I have icy hot, aspercreme, and Zim's in addition to Biofreeze. Biofreeze just seems to work a little better.

Back