Multiple filters cut open: Wix, Motorcraft, Fram

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are forgetting the metal center tube and crimp, neither of which are "pulled in".

Oil is supposed to get past the endcaps you know, that's how it gets to both the media and the bypass valve. The top endcap on the Fram is also octagonal to promote oil flow into the filter.

That OCOD looks terrible. All the others except the last motocraft look great. If you trust your engines to OCODs be my guest. I personally care about my vehicles more than that.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
The way the end caps were pulled in by the badly misshapen pleats, it would have been in bypass all the time-no way those end caps were sealed!

I agree.

The oil flows into the can through the base flange, unencumbered by the sparse and crumpled media, over the misshapen cardboard endcaps, and then right back into the engine unfiltered.

Anyone seeing any other scenario isn't looking at the FRAM OCOD photo here.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
The oil flows into the can through the base flange, unencumbered by the sparse and crumpled media, over the misshapen cardboard endcaps, and then right back into the engine unfiltered. Anyone seeing any other scenario isn't looking at the FRAM OCOD photo here.

Playing devil's advocate, I disagree. There is a metal tube in the center of the filter and the bypass plate and the ADBV only need seal about 1/8" around that tube. The outer edges of the fiber disks do not go flush to the ID of the can anyway because that part is irrelevant. Note the red and green circles in the photo below (the same would apply to the ABDV) that is the area which creates the seal to prevent what you are describing and while the filter is assembled and under tension from the bypass plate that seal is formed and maintained. The only way it would "bypass" is if the fiber disk became unglued from the metal tube. If that did not happen, then it was not bypassing.

I do not like the EG filter because the pleats in the media are too far apart, but I would bet a filter of choice, that it was not in "constant bypass" and despite its appearance--it did not tear!

2cdWuv.jpg

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Playing devil's advocate, I disagree. There is a metal tube in the center of the filter and the bypass plate and the ADBV only need seal about 1/8" around that tube. The outer edges of the fiber disks do not go flush to the ID of the can anyway because that part is irrelevant. Note the red and green circles in the photo below (the same would apply to the ABDV) that is the area which creates the seal to prevent what you are describing and while the filter is assembled and under tension from the bypass plate that seal is formed and maintained. The only way it would "bypass" is if the fiber disk became unglued from the metal tube. If that did not happen, then it was not bypassing.

I do not like the EG filter because the pleats in the media are too far apart, but I would bet a filter of choice, that it was not in "constant bypass" and despite its appearance--it did not tear!

Don't think so.

Not with the stamped spring that FRAM uses.

I wouldn't put that POS filter on a vehicle of mine.

Your welcome to use a cannister style OCOD if you want.

I've bought my last.

Free country.

Don't think so. Not with the stamped spring that FRAM uses. I wouldn't put that POS filter on a vehicle of mine. Your welcome to use a cannister style OCOD if you want. I've bought my last. Free country.

I think you are missing my point which is not to convince you to use one of them or to even accept/believe they are good filters--I have already said that I do not like them. The fact that tension exists on the assembly (and it does) is more than enough to form the necessary seal--the oil will take the least path of resistance which is through the media and not attempt to wedge itself between the bypass plate and the fiber disk (which serves as a gasket).

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

I think you are missing my point which is not to convince you to use one of them or to even accept/believe they are good filters--I have already said that I do not like them. The fact that tension exists on the assembly (and it does) is more than enough to form the necessary seal--the oil will take the least path of resistance which is through the media and not attempt to wedge itself between the bypass plate and the fiber disk (which serves as a gasket).

Wonderful rhetorical discussion there.

I'm glad you wouldn't buy a POS filter like that either.

Does that FRAM OCOD have 7 or 8 pleats total?

And with all those widely spaced pleats, the media still didn't tear. If that was a Purolator with that much pleat spread all around it, the media would look like a tiger ripped it to shreds.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: Stewie
What is the mileage on the Napas?

Thanks C&P

OCOD looks bad :S but for 8K miles on a 5K miles filter looks decent

I can't remember for sure but they probably had about 10,000 miles on them. That's about how much I put on the truck in a year and I try to change fuel filters once a year.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

And with all those widely spaced pleats, the media still didn't tear. If that was a Purolator with that much pleat spread all around it, the media would look like a tiger ripped it to shreds.
eek.gif

It's not a comparison.

Each POS filter stands on its own.

With most of the flow bypassing the FRAM's media, it wouldn't tear.

Originally Posted By: howie2092
that Fram is a sorry looking filter.

+1....

It looks like it was in bypass 80% of the time.

At some point, FRAM's obsession to "value engineer" their products and put as little as possible in the can hurts the functionality of their filters.

I agree that this used FRAM Extra Guard filter doesn't look good at all. In my opinion the filter needs more media. I wouldn't be able to say that the filter failed to do its job, but from the looks of the filter (media and end caps), I would have doubts about using one of these.
eek.gif

^^^ Correction on my post above: My post above is not applicable/not valid because I didn't notice the note above the picture which stated that the FRAM EG filter probably had over 8000 miles on it, and it was on a vehicle that had not been maintained well in the past. The filter's appearance probably was a result of the above conditions. Under the circumstances, the filter did its job without a failure occurring.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
^^^ Correction on my post above: My post above is not applicable/not valid because I didn't notice the note above the picture which stated that the FRAM EG filter probably had over 8000 miles on it, and it was on a vehicle that had not been maintained well in the past. The filter's appearance probably was a result of the above conditions. Under the circumstances, the filter did its job without a failure occurring.

So you think FRAM works well as long as you have clean oil and short OCI's?

I agree. I'd hate to put the filter pictured in a challenging service application where reliable filtration was needed.

So you think FRAM works well as long as you have clean oil and short OCI's?

I agree. I'd hate to put the filter pictured in a challenging service application where reliable filtration was needed.

It would most certainly look better if it was ran within its suggested use.
smile.gif
It was used 60% longer than it should have been!

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

It would most certainly look better if it was ran within its suggested use.
smile.gif
It was used 60% longer than it should have been!

I agree, dlunblad. Regardless of the condition of the engine, I believe the FRAM EG should be kept within its suggested use on the box (5000 miles or less).

Funny all the jabs at the extra guard when it was admittedly abused and unknown mileage. It could have 15,000 miles on it, who knows... No documented change mileage.

Also I do not think that the filter was in bypass, the seal between the center tube, adbv and tapping plate would have been fine with the spring installed. The waves on the end disc don't affect anything since the oil flows past them anyway.

i agree but the ocod is still junk in my opinion wix has the better filter anyway you look at it. problem is they are hard to find except at the rip off auto parts stores.. So that knocks them out of the box...I wish purolater would build quality filters again.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i agree but the ocod is still junk in my opinion wix has the better filter anyway you look at it. problem is they are hard to find except at the rip off auto parts stores.. So that knocks them out of the box...I wish purolater would build quality filters again.

The comparable Fram filter to the Wix is the tough guard which is superior with 99% efficient at 20 microns media and rated for up to 10,000 miles.

The comparable Wix lineup filter to the extra guard would be the pro select which is not exactly perfect either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back