Fram XG7317 9,000 miles cut open

Does Fram specify a specific weight of oil the filter was designed for?
No but Subaru does, and these engine have high volume oil pumps. This is a engine designed specifically for 20 grade oil.
You play the thick game in winter with woefully undersized filters you get burnt. PZEV engines run a pretty elevated rpm when warming up adding to the problem

And again I ran the muchos dolares HONDA dealer filter made by repected FILTECH designed for the S2000 sports car, and even it tore across winter running 5W30 Synthetic in my Nissan 2.5 liter. I say common problem in winter.

My (bad?) advice? Run the largest, LOW efficiency filter that will fit.

Now don't make me send the Mitsubishi destroyer over! You know how she gets!

Last edited:
My (bad?) advice? Run the largest, LOW efficiency filter that will fit.
Filter efficiency doesn't always represent how a filter flows - meaning its "dP vs flow" curve. Lots of high efficiency oil filters flow very well (ref Ascent's ISO test data). It's also possible for a low efficiency filter to have a high dP vs flow curve.

Filter efficiency doesn't always represent how a filter flows - meaning its "dP vs flow" curve. Lots of high efficiency oil filters flow very well (ref Ascent's ISO test data). It's also possible for a low efficiency filter to have a high dP vs flow curve.
I agree with you & the media can make all the difference. However, that being said isn't it, not, "Coincidental" that this happened on a Subaru. You know the folks that are always trying to question the correct PSI bypass. I just found it surprising & not surprising at the same time is what I'm saying. Obviously, This is on the newest fram's lower quality media so that didn't help any but this happened on a Subaru. It's still too early to blame just the filter seeing it happen to the subaru. We will all see in time though how all these new Frams stack up on other brand's engines.

I agree with you & the media can make all the difference. However, that being said isn't it, not, "Coincidental" that this happened on a Subaru. You know the folks that are always trying to question the correct PSI bypass. I just found it surprising & not surprising at the same time is what I'm saying. Obviously, This is on the newest fram's lower quality media so that didn't help any but this happened on a Subaru. It's still too early to blame just the filter seeing it happen to the subaru. We will all see in time though how all these new Frams stack up on other brand's engines.
The Subarus with the high flow oil pumps put the oil filter near or at bypass dP a lot more than engines with lower flow oil pumps. And who knows how people drive, meaning some people may driver off and rev the engine up pretty good before the oil gets hot - much worse scenario in the winter months. But on the other hand, like I've said many times before, an oil filter should be able to take bypass dP and not fail. Of course, there could be instances where the dP spikes could be up above the bypass valve setting, and over time that takes a toll on the media.

This is a engine designed specifically for 20 grade oil.
Can you provide proof of this? The owners manual technically allows for "5w40 conventional" top off, states that a thicker viscosity oil is required to properly lubricate engine during high load and high ambient situations, and someone posted here Japanese Subaru 0w30 Les Pleadies (name?) Oil where subaru listed 0w and 5w 20,30,40 oil and called 0w30 ideal in the FB engine for economy and performance.

Specifically mpg and emissions tested on 0w20 for EPA maybe. Specifically designed for 20 grade oil, no.

Specifically designed for 20 grade oil, no.
+1 ... The only engines that employ special design features are the ones that specify 0W-8 and 0W-16 oil grades. But those engines can still use a thicker grade. Using 0W-8 or 0W-16 in engines not specifying those grades could cause more wear because those engines were not designed for such low viscosity oil.

Can you provide proof of this? The owners manual technically allows for "5w40 conventional" top off, states that a thicker viscosity oil is required to properly lubricate engine during high load and high ambient situations, and someone posted here Japanese Subaru 0w30 Les Pleadies (name?) Oil where subaru listed 0w and 5w 20,30,40 oil and called 0w30 ideal in the FB engine for economy and performance.

Specifically mpg and emissions tested on 0w20 for EPA maybe. Specifically designed for 20 grade oil, no.
Subaru came out with all kinds off silliness with the FB and running EXCLUSIVELY their Genuine Subaru Synthetic 0W20. Even talking nonsense about thick oil molecules being too large to circulate properly. I dont have a N.A. FB OM to read the CAFE oil grade "warnings". We tried a 5W30 in a 2017 Crosstrek to quiet that noisy beast, it ran like a dog. Even topping off the wife's new '23 Crosstrek D.I motor with 10W30 - even with just 3/4 a qt - that got a bit boggy with a stick and low low offroad gearing. So back to the 20 grades. It really prefers it's mama's milk - the Idemitsu Subaru 0w20 over QS or Valvoline or AFE. These have sensitive HLA, low tension rings and light slipper-skirt pistons. I but will say the AVCS seems less sensitive to grade than a Totota VVTi system that I am experienced with. Run the oil choice, drive it. you will see what she needs. 0w40 is nuts on a low power non-turbo eco car not being tracked - or towing real hard. M1 0w40 FS was a good oil though.

In the past 30 years we have had over eight Subaru from Justy to SVX - but mainly many Impreza and Foresters - most with sticks.IN the 1990's I used to run Rotella triple protect 10w-30 with 1 qt of Formula Shell 5W30 in the EJ engines since the 5W30 conventional then was too wimpy (low HTHS in situ) so I do know where the Subaru thickies were born.

One last note, Subaru may have high volume oil pumps, but on a N.A. P.I. engine I don't think that volume is going through the engine** - its likely being bypassed at the pump. It's still is a 4 cylinder with typical (read tight) bearing clearances unless subaru has some voluminous oiling squirters and piddlers for those long chains and then the piston undersides. Using an electrical circuit analogy, high impedance will result into low current flow. -Ken

Subaru came out with all kinds off silliness with the FB and running EXCLUSIVELY their Genuine Subaru Synthetic 0W20. Even talking nonsense about thick oil molecules being too large to circulate properly. I dont have a N.A. FB OM to read the CAFE oil grade "warnings". We tried a 5W30 in a 2017 Crosstrek to quiet that noisy beast, it ran like a dog. Even topping off the wife's new '23 Crosstrek D.I motor with 10W30 - even with just 3/4 a qt - that got a bit boggy with a stick and low low offroad gearing. So back to the 20 grades. It really prefers it's mama's milk - the Idemitsu Subaru 0w20 over QS or Valvoline or AFE. These have sensitive HLA, low tension rings and light slipper-skirt pistons. I but will say the AVCS seems less sensitive to grade than a Totota VVTi system that I am experienced with. Run the oil choice, drive it. you will see what she needs. 0w40 is nuts on a low power non-turbo eco car not being tracked - or towing real hard. M1 0w40 FS was a good oil though.

In the past 30 years we have had over eight Subaru from Justy to SVX - but mainly many Impreza and Foresters - most with sticks.IN the 1990's I used to run Rotella triple protect 10w-30 with 1 qt of Formula Shell 5W30 in the EJ engines since the 5W30 conventional then was too wimpy (low HTHS in situ) so I do know where the Subaru thickies were born.

One last note, Subaru may have high volume oil pumps, but on a N.A. P.I. engine I don't think that volume is going through the engine** - its likely being bypassed at the pump. It's still is a 4 cylinder with typical (read tight) bearing clearances unless subaru has some voluminous oiling squirters and piddlers for those long chains and then the piston undersides. Using an electrical circuit analogy, high impedance will result into low current flow. -Ken
I've experimented with different oil viscosity in the EJ and FB, I've found the FB a little more sluggish with thicker oil but not enough to write home about. I sleep much better at night with reduced oil consumption and an oil that maintains cleanliness a bit better. I take care of 30+ FB engines over 150k miles. My EJ car has 423k miles I've taken care of since new. Family has had something like 8 subarus all from new to over 200-400k. I appreciate where you're coming from. I'll sacrifice a smidge of response using m1 0w40 versus a 0w20 and then an oil consuming engine for its later years. I would happily run a 0w20 HPL oil and maintain clean piston rings but none of the owners cars I take care of are going to want that currently.

Here is a 2016 O.M. on alternate oil choice if Genuine Subaru Synthetic is not readily available.
I would read this that the 5W40 is O.K. for top up (replensihment?)
but they "require" Energy conserving and/or ILSAC starburst. M1 0W40 FS is neither for a sump fill.

But just bc the ACEA A3 oil is high saps and O.M. "forbidden" doesn't mean that it isn't the superior lubricant that it is. If the oil stays in the engine - I fully agree - run it with great confidence. - Ken

20126 Subaur Impreza OM oil excerpt_230611.png

This is from my 2019 Impreza manual. No option for a 5W-40. I just run M1 EP in the Legacy and PUP in the Impreza minus the few changed I ran M1 EP in the Impreza and the current HPL in the Legacy which is going back to M1 since I have a stash.
1686581462006.png

And this from my 18 Legacy. This looks to be identical to what was pasted above.
1686581520986.png

I was lucky enough to pick up two wire backed xg7317 filters at my local Meijer today, no way in heck would I use one of those junky non-wire backed Ultras 👎
Installed wireless for both cars . Both will likely be under 6,000 miles for next O.C.s' . :whistle: + 🤞

Back