Fram XG7317 and ProMotive cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the left is a Fram XG7317 that was run about 11k miles on a 2012 Honda Civic with the R18 engine. Like seemingly every Fram Ultra we've seen on here, the filter looks like an excellent piece. I like the fuzzy seal they put on the top base plate for the ADBV. In all, an great product.

On the right is a Promotive that was installed by Jiffy Lube on my 2009 Honda Ridgeline when it was owned by my brother. This filter was on the engine about 8k miles, and the MM was at about 10%. I don't have the outer filter shell anymore, and I don't recall the part number, but it's whatever fits pretty much every Honda.

The good news is there were no torn pleats. But I presume the reason for that is the bad news: at least one or two pleats next to the metal crimp seam weren't glued to the base plate. They moved free, and I tried to show that with my thumb in the second picture. I could fold that pleat right over. The glue underneath, where that pleat is supposed to be, is pristine...untouched. You can see in the second picture that I'm folding the second pleat towards the seam. In the first picture, all pleats look, visually, as they should, in their place. Looks were deceiving, here.

For good measure, I pried the base plate off the filter. Conveniently enough, this section of glue broke right away from the rest. And you can see in the third picture that SOME of that glue has witness marks from the media, and SOME of it doesn't. That's the part that was never glued.

22603662337_e6bcfedfeb_b.jpg

23008498252_0bc77b9c63_b.jpg

22603664387_8c3a961a3a_b.jpg

I will say that the Promotive seemed to have adequate material quality and, other than the mistake in the adhesive process, appeared to have adequate construction quality, too. That said, perhaps this "bypass outlet" at the unglued seam is the only thing that kept the media from tearing...hard to tell. It seems like an okay 3-5k FCI jobber filter. Unfortunately, these things sometimes get ran way beyond what their construction can really handle.

The Ridgeline has a TG7317 on it right now, and that'll be changed with another TG7317 in about 5k miles (my regular OCI), at which time I'll move to 10k FCIs, likely with XG7317s.

Yep, the Promotive was leaking past the media where the end of the pleat wasn't glued solid. Hard to beat the Ultra.

Thanks for the C&P.
smile.gif

Yeah that Fram Ultra 7317 looks good as expected. I will put my Fram Ultra on in the next change for my Altima. Right now I have a Fram extra guard on that I got with a Mobil Super Synthetic deal at AAP. So far I've used ohhh 80 or more orange cans with no problems. But I do like the Ultra a lot since it first came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back