Multimeter questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Am I missing something here?

I was just asking. You stated that this multimeter has "all the features". It does not. Just about any other multimeter out there can read current through the probes.

Wouldn't using the probes be easier if you wanted to check max possible current draw from a small rechargeable battery, for example? Just wondering. Maybe that's not a good idea?

Also, reading current through probes is more accurate, based on the various specs I've seen for different multi-meters.

With that said, I did order the Uni-T one since clamp metering is kind of handy. But depending on what exactly you're trying to measure, it may or may not be the only multi-meter you own.

Just use the patch cable (not a good idea to short a battery); It is easier to use the clamp that probes to measure current in majority (NOT all) cases. One nice thing about NOT using the probes for measuring the current is NEVER having to worry about blowing the use on the meter. Ask me how many times I had to replace the fuse :)

comparing incandescent current with led when I replaced all the interior lighting on the Odyssey; pre-checking seat heaters before installing it in the car etc

Last edited:
I still have, and use my Fluke 77 I got as an apprentice 36 years ago. I have since bought a Fluke 87, Ti9 infrared camera, and Fluke 325 with the ac/dc clamp on amp meter, which is great. No more blowing $7 fuses putting the meter in the circuit. Plus it has a record min/max function, so you can hook it up, and come back later to see if it changed. The Fluke 87 has that function too that I have used countless times to monitor a circuit. The Fluke 2AC volt detector pen is the only one that works well. I would never trust a cheap meter for anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
If you are going to buy only one and want all the features at very good price, this is the one you want. I recently bought it and I am very happy with it. This is the only one which does inductive DC clamp current measurement. It also measures capacitance. It was about $32 when I purchased it. It is a screaming bargain at that price. The quality is quite good. It is not a Fluke but you will need at least $300 to get something like this from Fluke. Getting inductive DC clamp as a hobby instrument was impossible in the past. I have measured milliamp and amp DC current with it and it is accurate for my usage.

51cw1433GsL._SL1000_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O1Q2HOQ/

I like that one, and don't have to spend a bundle for a DIY around the house. Just wondering how good it is on capacitance. Most of the combo meters capacitance measurements are not that good.

I saw youtube video and couple of measurements were right on the money. I will see if I can find few capacitors in a junk pile.

I have the MS2108 (not ms2018a)

Love the inrush measurement on it.. ac or DC.

so you can see accurate peak load.. examples: Car starter, Air conditioner.

I have a bm802a which does pretty much the same stuff except no DC inrush.

I also have a half dozen of the free HF meters around.

"I have no idea how to use a multimeter but I should probably learn and get one just in case"

"Get a Fluke"

...this place is ridiculous sometimes.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
"I have no idea how to use a multimeter but I should probably learn and get one just in case"

"Get a Fluke"

...this place is ridiculous sometimes.

Agree 100%. Fluke is great when you need very high accuracy but overkill for most purposes, and it is possible to damage multimeters through incorrect use.

That being said, I would use caution with the real cheap meters like the free with any purchase model at Harbor Freight or those that look very similar to it. Many ultra cheap meters lack safety features which could be especially dangerous for someone new to all of this. I suppose they are fine for most of your low voltage automotive use but still be careful.

I had a free Harbor Freight model that I kept in the car so I always had one around. I was always scared the few times I needed to use it to check normal household or business AC circuits as I could clearly tell that it was so cheaply made and not adequate for this use. Turns out that fear was not entirely unfounded when one of the leads just fell apart in my hand. Thankfully this was just being used to troubleshoot telephone wiring and I was being cautious so I probably wouldn't have been harmed either way.

Like other things at Harbor Freight, it isn't all bad... I have a better meter I purchased there which has actual fuses and quality leads that won't fall apart. It also alerts you if you have the leads plugged in wrong. Think it was about $50 and also has a noise and light meter on it. I also had a $30 auto ranging Craftsman for a long time that was safe and reliable. I only stopped using it because it was damaged by leaky batteries.

Other than the flukes are very simple to use, and learn on, reading you can trust, and designed to not blow up in your face, to help make them safer to use. A good meter is the best way to learn the difference between volts, ohms, and current. I=E/R

I'm surprised we don't have a contingent of people that claim "you should only learn on a Simpson VOM, digital don't give the whole story and you need to learn how to set range".

For most people a cheap meter will work for everything they need but don't trust your life to one. I learned that the hard way.

Speaking of Simpson Meter,I have a 260 that the company I worked for bought me because the repair manuals used a Simpson Meter and they were pictures what the readings and settings should be. I like the self ranging meters better.

Originally Posted By: wilnis
Thanks for the many replies. I've spent some time on YouTube and I'm going to go with one of the $20 Amazon choices for now to see it works.

So, which one did you go with and how do you like it?

Right the HF meter is basically a board. IF you do something phenomenally stupid with it.. it could be hazardous.

For regular 110v AC or 12v dc systems its ok.

Of course $30 or $40 will buy you something decent.

Sounds like a good one to learn on. I recenty ordered a $25 one, but it does not seem to be wanting to measure current in microAmps, despite description stating that it can. I'm going to try another one.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Speaking of Simpson Meter,I have a 260 that the company I worked for bought me because the repair manuals used a Simpson Meter and they were pictures what the readings and settings should be. I like the self ranging meters better.

You might get different readings on voltage using a digital multimeter vs a Simpson 260. The basic DC impedance of a 260 is 20 KOhms per volt, vs the common digital impedance of 10 MegaOhms. Sometimes, using the suggested meter is a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back