Multimeter questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi-I don't have one, and don't know how to use one and would like to correct both deficits. What is a good "starter" one, and what are some reasonable websites or other learning places for me? Thanks. Bill

Depends on what you want to do with it. For simple voltage and amperage testing the Harbor Freight meter you can get for free will suffice. I have several, one in the basement, garage, trailer and truck.

Buy a $20 one at HF.

Measure car battery. Measure "D" cell. Carefully measure a 110 v outlet. Use AC or DC volts as appropriate.

On ohms measure incedesent light bulb, one that works and one broken.

Don't ever use ohms with power on.

I have a bunch of multimeters, including a few HF models that I leave in the garage. However, if I only had one multimeter, in hindsight, I'd probably get just one good multimeter, such as a Fluke. I've had the HF model give very incorrect voltage measurements when the battery was low (with no warning). Without another multimeter that I trusted, I would never know.

Which model you pick might depend on your intended use. Fluke had models geared towards different trades (electrician, HVAC, automotive, etc). In general, you'll want something that will measure, AC/DC voltage and current, resistance. An audible continuity tester is nice too.

I just happened to be walking the dog a couple days ago by a pawn shop and saw a clean Fluke 77-IV with Fluke leads for $50 (I picked it up). I would look for a used Fluke 77 or 115 as a general purpose meter.

I'm not a complete Fluke fanboy, but I would urge you to get a half decent one over a super cheap one. Something in the $20-50 range.

I had a Craftsman multimeter that I used for years that worked well for my automotive needs and recently just purchased a cheap one from Amazon that also works well for my needs. If you're just getting into it, no need to spend big bucks on a Fluke or something similar until your needs increase.

As for tutelage, YouTube is your friend as are a few other personal sites devoted to wrenching on cars that provide write ups. Google it.

Originally Posted By: Bear
Depends on what you want to do with it. For simple voltage and amperage testing the Harbor Freight meter you can get for free will suffice. I have several, one in the basement, garage, trailer and truck.

Yep, he needs something basic. No need for a Fluke.

I knew a guy who was a licensed electrician. He used cheap meters after he "calibrated" them against known, quality equipment.

Since he did installations, all he really needed to know in the field was that juice was there.
He'd check the "delivered voltage" from the street before any job because being asked what it was was how everyone said 'hello' in the morning.

108 volts was the most commonly occurring voltage.
Since transformers were the most commonly installed equipment we did need to know exactly what the things were being fed.

I have a pair of really old Fluke 77s and an equally old Wave tech that I keep in the van. Working only on my house and my own cars is all I do now. Worked on plenty of neg 48 phone battery systems back in the day. On rare occasions, need one at work these days. For yrs, all that you needed for cars was a test lite and a continuity tester.
grin2.gif

Since I was a generator mechanic basically since I was a teenager, I only ever had a Fluke. I know they're expensive but they work perfectly and last forever.

Get one that comes with instructions. Read them.Follow them , even though you don't really know why. Google is your friend. Maybe even youtube

Start with free from HF. You can always spend money after you learn to use one.

Be very leary of the that low end/free HF meter I used one once on a charging problem. The meter indicated 17.5 volts when the charging circuit was barely putting out 11 volts.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Whatever brand you decide on.....make sure it has the Auto-Ranging feature.
I have 2 VOMsI used for work and I will say an auto ranging meter is worth what ever premium you would pay over a non auto ranging tool. . I have a Fluke that is 30 years years old and I still love it.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: Warstud
Whatever brand you decide on.....make sure it has the Auto-Ranging feature.
I have 2 VOMsI used for work and I will say an auto ranging meter is worth what ever premium you would pay over a non auto ranging tool. . I have a Fluke that is 30 years years old and I still love it.

Same here, and it still has the original battery in it because I have never forgotten to move the selector to OFF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back