MT: Ranger vs. Colorado vs. Tacoma vs. Ridgeline Test

Originally Posted by tcp71
I haven't read MT in a lot of years, but when a unibody "lifestyle truck", limited to mall runs and questionable duty cycle achieves second place, the results should all be questioned.

The majority of privately owned pickups are used as Lifestyle Vehicles (LV). Half the parking spots at the grocery store are taken by 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton pickups. The Ford Raptor is the ultimate LV.

Reactions: GON
I haven't read MT in a lot of years, but when a unibody "lifestyle truck", limited to mall runs and questionable duty cycle achieves second place, the results should all be questioned.

Originally Posted by SubLGT

The majority of privately owned pickups are used as Lifestyle Vehicles (LV). Half the parking spots at the grocery store are taken by 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton pickups. The Ford Raptor is the ultimate LV.

The Ridgeline should be called the Pilot El Camino.

As for the Raptor and the others, I see people baby those and treat them like a Range Rover or a Mercedes. To me, a truck is meant to work, haul and do things you can't do in a regular car.

Last edited:
LOL.
My lifestyle is that of a workaholic.
My Taco has off the charts durability.
840,000 miles of driving experience with the Tacoma 2.7L
tells me all i need to know.

I am looking forward to your review
on the Bugatti Chiron, MT.

Originally Posted by Pelican
I would classify the Ridgeline as a truck-wannabe! I'm surprised it even made it into this comparo.

It has competitive towing and hauling numbers in the segment, it's more utilitarian than others in the segment, and it also happens to have better road manners (where most trucks spend most of their time) than anything out there. You seem caught in some pickup truck dogma. Open your eyes.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Skippy722

It's not a true unibody though. And honestly, 98% of the pickups in my area are used to go to and from the mall or supermarket. None ever see any hard work that a Ridgeline wouldn't be able to do.

I suspect if Toyota made the Ridgeline I'd own one--it wouldn't have the issues that keep me from buying Honda's version:
-Honda won't let you select 1st (and have the trans hold it). It has a button to lock out overdrive gears and that's it. At least from what I can tell.
-Timing belt!

Also it has the same turning radius as my Tundra. Bummer. I'd like a smaller truck but not if it is just as cumbersome to drive. Otherwise a FWD bias is ok by me, and as long as it has a center diff it'd fix all my issues with my current part-time 4WD setup. TFL (and others) have run it up to its 5k towing limit, which is enough for me. I don't "need" a truck but it sure is nice having one around.

Don't care what MT, or anyone else says. I like my new Colorado but the next one may very well be a Tacoma. Looked at a new Ranger last Sunday at a local Ford dealer while they were closed. Looked like a pretty nice interior to me.

There are plenty of people moving out of the 'burbs and need to: take their trash to the dump, buy mulch, buy a wheel barrow etc. That's where a vehicle like the Ridgeline fits the bill. Very light duty hauling. Test drove one and it was an impressive vehicle. Completely understand its appeal especially if you're going to have one vehicle.
Was surprised how good the Colorado was! So surprised I bought one! Wished the cabin was a little taller, and when you put it in reverse at night the screen for the rear camera goes as bright as possible killing your night-vision but other than that very pleased.
I know people who have only bought Tacoma for decades and understand their appeal too. Cramped for me, easy to scratch off list.
Glad the Ranger has returned because I miss smaller or in this case mid-size trucks.

I think smaller trucks don't get the credit they deserve, especially the Ridgeline. I often hear people say they're not "real trucks" (whatever that means), and not capable of doing anything more than carrying a few bags of mulch, which simply isn't true. I've hauled over 1,300 lbs in the bed of my 06 Ranger, and towed over 4,000 lbs with it, and it's always performed fantastically. I've never needed or wanted a bigger truck for hauling things, although more passenger room would've been nice. Can it carry/tow as much as an F150? No, of course not. If it could, the F150 wouldn't exist. But these trucks have more than enough capability for many people, including many people who are currently driving full size trucks.

When Honda first started making the Ridgeline, I also dismissed it as being incapable of most things. Then I started looking at its specs, and realized it's VERY comparable to my Ranger in terms of payload, towing capacity, and cargo volume. Now I have a more open mind, and if I had to replace my Ranger, I'd strongly consider a Ridgeline as a replacement. It should, at least on paper, perform just as well.

Originally Posted by exranger06
I think smaller trucks don't get the credit they deserve, especially the Ridgeline. I often hear people say they're not "real trucks" (whatever that means), and not capable of doing anything more than carrying a few bags of mulch, which simply isn't true. I've hauled over 1,300 lbs in the bed of my 06 Ranger, and towed over 4,000 lbs with it, and it's always performed fantastically. I've never needed or wanted a bigger truck for hauling things, although more passenger room would've been nice. Can it carry/tow as much as an F150? No, of course not. If it could, the F150 wouldn't exist. But these trucks have more than enough capability for many people, including many people who are currently driving full size trucks.

When Honda first started making the Ridgeline, I also dismissed it as being incapable of most things. Then I started looking at its specs, and realized it's VERY comparable to my Ranger in terms of payload, towing capacity, and cargo volume. Now I have a more open mind, and if I had to replace my Ranger, I'd strongly consider a Ridgeline as a replacement. It should, at least on paper, perform just as well.

We live in a culture of excess, so naturally it makes sense to have a truck capable of towing 13,000 lbs to bring home mulch from Home Depot once a year.

I personally like buying things that meet my needs. As a generalization though our culture is just tailored to having to out-perform everyone else. Just my .02.

Originally Posted by StevieC
My cousin wifes on my moms side has a Chevy Colarado. My cousin is a tow-truck driver and has a Silverado HD.
I would say her truck is quite nice and rides well but I wouldn't say it rides any better than the Ridgeline or the Tacoma.

I do like its styling and the size is perfect for most folks making the runs to Home Depot or minor weekend hauling.

I Go-cart has a better ride then the Tacoma. As for the Ridgeline I do not have a clue.

Originally Posted by 02SE
The new and supposedly heavily revised 2020 Tacoma will be unveiled this week.

It will be interesting to see what has changed, from the version that MT reviewed for this article.

Sooo, the Tacoma gets a new grille and headlights...

And taillights and new options for connectivity, Apple Carplay, Android Auto, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by StevieC
My cousin wifes on my moms side has a Chevy Colarado. My cousin is a tow-truck driver and has a Silverado HD.
I would say her truck is quite nice and rides well but I wouldn't say it rides any better than the Ridgeline or the Tacoma.

I do like its styling and the size is perfect for most folks making the runs to Home Depot or minor weekend hauling.

I Go-cart has a better ride then the Tacoma. As for the Ridgeline I do not have a clue.

I put Bilstein 5100's front and rear on mine. Schweet.

The new ridgeline has lots of negative in my books, first is rear entry is narrower, unless you have little kids only, it sucks big time to get in and out.
That was a design error that's fixed for $20 in parts. Corrected in 2020 & later models. Interior space is very good in the Ridgeline.

Why don't you look at the capacities before making such a statement? It handles as much or more than almost every midsize truck. The payload is in the 1400-1500lb range (I've definitely been near that) and it tows 5000lbs - pulls my subcompact Kubota with loader and mowing deck easily. 4x8' sheeting lays down flat between the small rear-wheel humps. It has a locking trunk in the bed and a two-way tailgate. The only thing it's not especially good at is off-roading - not much ground clearance - and some do tow more.

I would classify the Ridgeline as a truck-wannabe! I'm surprised it even made it into this comparo.
It does about everything as well as or better than the competitors - some things much better. Not great off road due to limited ground clearance. Bed capacity is ~1500#, and 4x8' sheets fit flat between the small wheel wells.

Originally Posted by SubLGT

The Ridgeline should be called the Pilot El Camino.

As for the Raptor and the others, I see people baby those and treat them like a Range Rover or a Mercedes. To me, a truck is meant to work, haul and do things you can't do in a regular car.
The Ridgeline's suspension parts are like 25% beefier than the Pilot's. The bed capacity is about 1500#, and I've tested that. It carries 4x8' sheets flat in the bed.

I'm on my second Ridgeline - a 2007, now a 2019 - and you're right; it does most things as well or better than its competitors. And it drives like a dream, with an advanced torque-vectoring AWD system.

I like the look of the Ranger, though I haven't driven one. From what I've read it's quick and pretty capable.

Back