Moving to Florida coast...stay with GC or switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using German Castrol in my '06 WRX for the past 4.5 years; 2 years in Oklahoma City and 2.5 years in Colorado Springs. I'm moving to the Florida coast in a few weeks and am curious if I should/can stick with GC or if I should switch something else (some have recommended Rotella T6 5W-40). OKC was regularly 90-95 degrees from May-September, and the average high temp where I'm moving is 90 during the summer, 70's during the winter.

1. Should I stick with GC 0W-30 or switch to Rotella T6 5W-40?
2. Can I switch from GC to Rotella without any adverse affects?

Car is not a track car at all, just a daily driver with light mods.

Last edited:
1. If you're happy with GC, then you can easily stick with it in FL. I used it in my 530i while I lived down there, too.

2. Yes.

Firstly welcome to Bitog!

I don't know if you even need an oil as heavy as GC, only your oil pressure can answer that, but since Florida is generally no hotter than OKC in the summer you certainly won't need anything heavier.

Florida actually feels hotter than it is due to the humidity and increased solar radiation from being closer to the equator. 90 during the summer is not any hotter than the average place gets in the United States. Other than that Caterham sums it up nicely. You can actually run that car on 0w-20.

But for more practical advice, get any rust your car may have from road salt taken care of before it becomes worse. My friends that have moved here with their cars from road salt states have noticed increased rusting from the Florida humidity. The humidity really only affects parts that are already rusting but it accelerates the process.

cmf - Exactly my logic. It feels hotter, but in actuality it's not.

Thanks all for your replies. All the guys on NASIOC recommended switching to T6, but I'll probably stick with GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back