Moving cell phone contacts

Update. I got around to contacting Puretalk, they are sending a sim card for my phone. Now when i install their sim card, and my existing phone is ported over to their service, will i still have all my text threads and contacts?

This may be a really silly question, but i would like to know before i go any further.

Thanks !

Update. I got around to contacting Puretalk, they are sending a sim card for my phone. Now when i install their sim card, and my existing phone is ported over to their service, will i still have all my text threads and contacts?

This may be a really silly question, but i would like to know before i go any further.

Thanks !
No, oh wait, ignore my answer. I didnt realize you may have everything backed up to google? I dont know anything about that.

No, oh wait, ignore my answer. I didnt realize you may have everything backed up to google? I dont know anything about that.
In my earlier posts, i was talking about a new phone. But it seems that we can keep our phones as the are dual band. I didn't know if putting in a new sim card and porting to a new service, kept or wiped out old texts and contacts.

I guess my contacts are in google, I'm not smartphone tech savvy so i don't know how to tell.

EDIT: i went to google and the contacts are there, so i guess thats not a problem. Just don't know about old texts staying.

I'm pretty low tech in regards to this, but have done what you are describing. Switched carriers just by swapping SIM cards. I don't think I've ever had my old text threads or VM's transfer over, but like said, with Google or apps on the phones themselves, you should be able to xfer over your contacts.

In my earlier posts, i was talking about a new phone. But it seems that we can keep our phones as the are dual band. I didn't know if putting in a new sim card and porting to a new service, kept or wiped out old texts and contacts.

I guess my contacts are in google, I'm not smartphone tech savvy so i don't know how to tell.

EDIT: i went to google and the contacts are there, so i guess thats not a problem. Just don't know about old texts staying.
Your contacts are in the phone, but they will also be in Google's cloud if you have a Google account in your name and you have your phone backing-up to them (you can set this up in your settings), and you can also copy contacts to your SIM card (you have to do this manually). Your texts are also in your phone and they will also back-up to Google's cloud. In this day and age you should not lose anything if you change phones or providers. Voicemails stay with the provider, but if you stay with the same provider and change phones you will not lose them.

You might want to check out Red Pocket...... (..Red Pocket GSMA, AT&T).

Would it be possible to move from ATT over to Red Pocket ?

We have multiple phones, all purchased outside ATT and we do not have a contract with ATT but pay month to month (about 40 with shared 9gb)

The trickly part is that we have a separate ATT Internet Only account (we don't own a TV) and the phones and internet are billed as one account.

If we "unbundle" (ATT uses the terminology PostPay and PrePay) -- how does the "switch over" period occur to Red Pocket/ATT ?

Would it be possible to move from ATT over to Red Pocket ?

We have multiple phones, all purchased outside ATT and we do not have a contract with ATT but pay month to month (about 40 with shared 9gb)

The trickly part is that we have a separate ATT Internet Only account (we don't own a TV) and the phones and internet are billed as one account.

If we "unbundle" (ATT uses the terminology PostPay and PrePay) -- how does the "switch over" period occur to Red Pocket/ATT ?
AT&T Internet and AT&T Wireless are actually two separate entities within the company. If you want to change your phone service you can do-so without a problem, it won't have any effect on your home Internet service. Red Pocket will port your current phone numbers at no charge. Your phone service will just be removed from your AT&T bill. However, if you are getting a discount on your home Internet service for using their phone service, you will lose the discount.
BTW, alarmguy and I do not work for Red Pocket or have any connection to them, we just use and recommend their service. Also, Red Pocket does not offer a referral reward program.

Last edited:
ATT also offers a 12 month prepaid ($300 or $25/mo) 8GB data with rollover which anyone can switch to, including ATT existing wireless customers

Online only deal but easiest to do inside ATT Store

Back