Moving cell phone contacts

I'm considering going with a different cell provider but still staying with android.

Due to the type cell system, we would have to get new phones. I have an extensive contact list of physicians / vendors /staff etc, that I use daily.
How would I go about moving contacts from a moto g phone to a Samsung phone?

I will not be trading in my old phone, just in case I go back to my service provider.

Thanks.

I'm considering going with a different cell provider but still staying with android.

Due to the type cell system, we would have to get new phones. I have an extensive contact list of physicians / vendors /staff etc, that I use daily.
How would I go about moving contacts from a moto g phone to a Samsung phone?

I will not be trading in my old phone, just in case I go back to my service provider.

Thanks.
are your contacts backed up to google? if they are , when you log on they should transfer to your new phone. i also think samsung has a transfer app that can transfer to the new phone.

Here is a instruction link that is pretty straightforward.

The key though is understanding where the contact data resides. Is it on your SIM card or on the Android OS itself?

This summer we moved from a Metro area to rural Western US..... We were a 17 year customer of Verizon. Once day we walked into Sam's Club and switched to AT&T..... Our service/coverage is better and we are $60 less on the monthly bill than with Verizon.

Not a big deal at all, porting over you data on Andriod.... dozens of YouTube videos.

are your contacts backed up to google? if they are , when you log on they should transfer to your new phone. i also think samsung has a transfer app that can transfer to the new phone.
I'm not sure. Verizon moved the contacts for me last time I think using Google. The new service will not have a brick and.mortar store for me to go in.

Here is a instruction link that is pretty straightforward.

The key though is understanding where the contact data resides. Is it on your SIM card or on the Android OS itself?
I don't know. How can I tell?

This summer we moved from a Metro area to rural Western US..... We were a 17 year customer of Verizon. Once day we walked into Sam's Club and switched to AT&T..... Our service/coverage is better and we are $60 less on the monthly bill than with Verizon.

Not a big deal at all, porting over you data on Andriod.... dozens of YouTube videos.

I'll look at YouTube and check that out.

I'm looking at puretalk, much less than Verizon.

As long as you have everything backing up to Google, when going from an Android phone to Android phone (or an iPhone to an iPhone) your contacts should transfer over when you setup your new phone. As soon as you logon to Google on your new phone it will ask you if you want to transfer everything to the new phone, then you just wait for it to do it's work. To be on the safe side you can copy your contacts to your current SIM card.

Last edited:
I'm looking at puretalk, much less than Verizon.
You might want to check out Red Pocket. They are consistently the lowest priced MVNO, and you have your choice of any carrier, including Verizon. Alarmguy and I both use and like them (we both use Red Pocket GSMA, AT&T).

I just did this. Samsung has a migration app. It will be pre-installed on the new phone and you can install it on any recent Android that still has access to the Google store. It makes a direct Bluetooth connection between the phones to transfer the contacts, texts, pictures, etc.

You might want to check out Red Pocket. They are consistently the lowest priced MVNO, and you have your choice of any carrier, including Verizon. Alarmguy and I both use and like them (we both use Red Pocket GSMA, AT&T).
Thanks! Coverage is super important for me as I am on medical call. I'll check out Red Pocket!

Thanks! Coverage is super important for me as I am on medical call. I'll check out Red Pocket!
Red Pocket is an MVNO (mobile virtual network operator), as is Pure Talk, Consumer Cellular, Tracfone, Mint Mobile, Straight Talk, and many others. They contract with one of the 3 carrier networks for your service, and coverage is provided by that carrier network. There isn't any difference at all in terms of coverage or reliability between what an MVNO sells you indirectly and what the carrier networks sell you directly. There are now only 3 carrier networks... AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile/Sprint. You have Verizon now and you can choose verizon as your carrier network on Red Pocket if you wish, but you have your choice of any of the three. Most other MVNOs are married to one carrier network (for example, Pure Talk only offers AT&T). If you want to keep Verizon you can get it from Red Pocket for a much lower price than what you are currently paying.

WAG123 is correct.
We use ATT on the RedPocket family plan. 3 lines 10gb high speed per line, actual payment every month for all three lines is $70. and a few cents.
The cool part is, you can chose whatever company you want, even on the family plan you can mix and match what cell phone service that you want, if we wanted we could choose 2 lines with ATT and 1 line with Verizon. Or 1 line with Verizon, 1 with TMobile and 1 with ATT for all three lines total payment is still $70.

WAG123 is correct.
We use ATT on the RedPocket family plan. 3 lines 10gb high speed per line, actual payment every month for all three lines is $70. and a few cents.
The cool part is, you can chose whatever company you want, even on the family plan you can mix and match what cell phone service that you want, if we wanted we could choose 2 lines with ATT and 1 line with Verizon. Or 1 line with Verizon, 1 with TMobile and 1 with ATT for all three lines total payment is still $70.
Furthermore, if you end-up not liking the carrier network that you initially chose you can change network providers at any time, and I have been told by others (I can't personally confirm this) that you can switch networks even if you purchased a 1 year plan. Try that with someone else!

There isn't any difference at all in terms of coverage or reliability between what an MVNO sells you indirectly and what the carrier networks sell you directly.
I don't recall ever seeing anything for voice calls, and such a thing would probably be illegal, but I've seen numerous people talk about and test data "deprioritization" between main carriers and MVNOs. If lots of people are using lots of data bandwidth on a main carrier, someone on an MVNO may get their data speed reduced during that time.

As for the OP, check out apps Backup My Mobile, Copy My Data, and SMS Backup & Restore. Plenty of apps can backup to cloud services, but these do phone to phone over wifi, or to SD card. Backup My Mobile I think is the only one that was able to transfer from an old 2014 phone to a recent one. It's been around forever with lots of great reviews.

I don't recall ever seeing anything for voice calls, and such a thing would probably be illegal, but I've seen numerous people talk about and test data "deprioritization" between main carriers and MVNOs. If lots of people are using lots of data bandwidth on a main carrier, someone on an MVNO may get their data speed reduced during that time.
Yes, you are correct, for data. This can happen in theory, but in practice it doesn't really happen very often, it is typically a short-lived slowdown, and it is not dramatically slower. From my personal experience with Red Pocket, Pure Talk, and Cricket compared to AT&T directly, this almost never happens anymore. I have only seen this myself a couple of times at my lake house in the country because the tower capacity was not high enough, but that was several years ago and it appears that they have improved the capacity on that tower. The only other time that I saw this recently was during the big Texas freeze and statewide power disruption last February because everybody was using their phones at the same time and EVERYBODY was having disruptions.

With respect ... its the same old internet chatter about "deprioritization" "between main carriers and MVNOs"
The people making these comments that you read are ignorant to what all carriers do. One just needs to read the disclosures from the "main carriers" and they will see the same type of wording.
Any network, any cell network can slow down under heavy traffic, even your local cable internet connection to your home. It makes no difference if its a MVNO or Main Carrier. Best part is IF, IF the MVNO is not to your liking, there is no contract, so just like you buy gas for your car anyplace you want, you can switch carriers anytime you want. Try doing that with a "main" carrier that you signed a contract with.

Just discussing here, not debating, Ive been using MVNOs for over a decade now and cell phones for the last 20 years, now in EVERY corner of my new state since 2006 and border states, they worked just as good as my work supplied Verizon iPhone.

I have never, ever had an issue with my personal MVNOs and that includes Straight Talk from Walmart, Walmart Family, Cricket Wireless and my current ATT RedPocket which I have had for many years now. One other thing about me is I am a bit anal about things working perfect and I NEVER settle for less.
Anytime I switched was just for better pricing, though technically, whether one can tell the difference, Redpocket ATT service on speed tests is the fastest and same as main network service.
For the life of me, I will never sign a contract for phone service, the only reason people do is to get what they think is a "free" phone from the main carriers.

Again, read any cell provider disclosures and "terms of service" for some reason, people who do not use MVNOs are compelled to point out the "terms of service" for the MVNOs but not the main carriers that they use, its all the same wording.
Ive posted it and the links many times in forums... but tired of spending the time doing it *LOL*

Last edited:
With respect ... its the same old internet chatter about "deprioritization" "between main carriers and MVNOs"
The people making these comments that you read are ignorant to what all carriers do. One just needs to read the disclosures from the "main carriers" and they will see the same type of wording.
Any network, any cell network can slow down under heavy traffic, even your local cable internet connection to your home. It makes no difference if its a MVNO or Main Carrier.

Again, read any cell provider disclosures and "terms of service" for some reason, people who do not use MVNOs are compelled to point out the "terms of service" for the MVNOs but not the main carriers that they use, its all the same wording.
Ive posted it and the links many times in forums... but tired of spending the time doing it *LOL*

Here's part of the Page Plus data terms: https://www.pagepluscellular.com/terms-and-conditions/
"Prioritization, Availability, Interruptions, and Discontinuation to Data Services. Some Carriers differentiate the wireless service they sell by prioritizing the data traffic of their customers over the data traffic of customers on a non-Carrier brand at times and at locations where there are competing customer demands for network resources."

:unsure: I see where Verizon states it will deprioritize certain Verizon plans at times in favor of the more expensive Verizon plans, but that's not the same thing as what Page Plus states.

Back