Moving boxes strategy

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Next month we are moving from South Carolina to Washington State. I typically move every two to three years. This time, moving ten months after moving from Utah to South Carolina. I am in my late 50's, and my back is not doing so well. Decided to adjust my moving box strategy. One thing I think that is very important to anyone moving across the USA and has a decent amount of stuff. Never every use "free" boxes. Free boxes don't stack and pack efficiently.

I am trying to pack everything in Wal-Mart "extra strength" small and extra strength medium boxes. with the goal of 75 percent of boxes be the small boxes. For larger items, I am combing the small boxes into "doubles" and "triples". My doubles and triples should stack near exact as two individual or three individual small boxes. The small size boxes hopefully will be easier on my back as the hold less weight.

Of note, I ordered the boxes from Wal Mart. Wal-mart no longer has a decent qty of any one size boxes at their stores. Wal-mart use to stock the "extra strength" small, but I am no longer seeing those boxes in the store. It took three weeks for my box order to arrive. Picking up boxes at the store is awkward, having them delivered to the front door is awesome.

And finally, building boxes is labor intensive. Watching a TV show while building the boxes makes the job a lot nicer. And finally, use a high quality tape, purchased in bulk. Tape can be very pricey, so shop around and get a decent price. every box needs three strips of tape on the bottom, and the box should be square when taping the bottom.

Just sharing some tips, techniques, and procedures that works for me.

PXL_20220305_132217105.jpg
PXL_20220305_132221550.jpg
PXL_20220305_134512891.jpg
PXL_20220305_141512801.jpg
PXL_20220305_190655563.jpg

Last edited:
It seemed like you just moved to SC, you probably didn't get unpacked yet. Does the company that makes you move like this not pay for moving? And you're going to put an engine in the Navigator in your free time? Yikes. How many round trips?

We helped my daughter and SIL move from Az to Baltimore in May last year then back to Az in July using a POS Uhaul box van out then a new Penske box van back. Same size boxes is definitely a big help.

It seemed like you just moved to SC, you probably didn't get unpacked yet. Does the company that makes you move like this not pay for moving? And you're going to put an engine in the Navigator in your free time? Yikes. How many round trips?

We helped my daughter and SIL move from Az to Baltimore in May last year then back to Az in July using a POS Uhaul box van out then a new Penske box van back. Same size boxes is definitely a big help.
Its 3,000 mile one way, so no round trips. I have two F350s.and three trailers. So hope to get the Navigator running, but I am paying someone 200 miles away to do the swap, and I have little confidence he will do the job to standard. That situation is for another thread.

Penske diesel truck is the only way to go for long distance moves. Diesel MPG does not collapse with a heavy load. All U-haul trucks are unleaded, and fuel mileage loaded is beyond brutal. Understanding the rental truck market is key. I have a Penske on reserve 11 April. 26 foot diesel on $1,000 for ten days, one-way. Means Penske thinks they will have to many trucks in Columbia in mid April and not enough in Seattle. I checked the rate in June, it is $2500 for the Penske.

If I move regularly like I move offices, I would pack light, keep things in warehouse inside boxes, and sell off or give away as much junk as I can. You cannot win the moving game just have to play less of it, same with gambling.

If I move regularly like I move offices, I would pack light, keep things in warehouse inside boxes, and sell off or give away as much junk as I can. You cannot win the moving game just have to play less of it, same with gambling.
Unfortunately, I have a truck load of just tools and automotive maintenance stuff. My lovely Wife just found a hidden stash of Mercedes and Lincoln car seats and said she is worried I am an automotive and hardware hoarder.

If I had confidence in getting vehicles serviced, maybe I would take a different approach. And I learned about Honda and Toyota quality and reliability too late in life. I was a GM loyalist for three decades, which required a lot of tools and parts and a regular basis.

With that much taping to do I'd invest in a tape gun. It's much easier to use the teeth on the tape gun to cut the tape than having to use a knife/scissors to cut each individual piece. When we moved from NC to KY in 2010 I used a 24' Budget rental. As I remember between 1/3 and 1/2 of the truck was filled with boxes. I loaded all the boxes first then loaded the furniture to help stabilize the boxes.

Reactions: GON
My moving suggestion is to just quit moving all the time 🤷‍♂️
The move to South Carolina was supposed to be my last move prior to retirement in 2024. Things changed, so I have to adjust. I could retire early and avoid the move, but my plan is to work this job through summer 2024- and I am sticking to it.

Wow-moving from SC to Cali for TWO more years of work? All that effort to move, & to a state with a ~35% higher cost of living?? My company would have to break the bank for me to even consider it!

Unfortunately, I have a truck load of just tools and automotive maintenance stuff. My lovely Wife just found a hidden stash of Mercedes and Lincoln car seats and said she is worried I am an automotive and hardware hoarder.

If I had confidence in getting vehicles serviced, maybe I would take a different approach. And I learned about Honda and Toyota quality and reliability too late in life. I was a GM loyalist for three decades, which required a lot of tools and parts and a regular basis.
Maybe it is easier to just not keeping so many tools and maintenance stuff, I know it is hard to say it myself (have like 50 quarts of oil from rebates sitting around and use only about 15 a year), but you have to see what make sense in the big picture.

Man do I hate moving. Good luck to you and hopefully this is the last one before you pick a retirement spot.

I would mark the boxes that have items inside that you will need right off when you arrive. Also mark FRAGILE on the ones with fine china or other breakables inside. That way those boxes don’t end up on the bottom when you load the trailer and the ones you need first can be right at the trailer door.

Reread the first sentence of this thread:

Carry on.:rolleyes:

GON, do you have living accommodations picked out yet?
We have not found a thing. Prices in the Seattle/ Tacoma are crazy high (when compared to the compensation for living there). I will see a cost of living increase of about $7200 per year over Columbia, SC. Housing apparently will cost us about 18k more per year in Seattle. Tacoma, so the move is a loss in income....

We found a home to rent. Submitted the application quickly with every required document. We are likely good tenants. Late 50s. No pets, empty nesters, great credit, money in the bank, we are also homeowners, etc. When I called the management company on the home, they don't even accept calls. Their message on the voice mail is all applicants are put in a pool and on a waiting list. It was worse than that, but I won't bore you with the details. It is a tough time for housing in most of the USA.

We put in for another home, but they would not wait for us to move in 60 days. I offered to pay 50% rent for 60 days before we would occupy the home, but they wanted full rent immediately to hold the home. We rent our home, and we will wait for the right tenants. Might not be the case in hot housing markets. BTW, to apply for this house we needed to provide bank statements, tax returns, pay stubs, three bureau credit report, copies of our IDS, etc. I did all this- but was well aware it could be a great identity theft scam.

Cost of Living Index in Major Cities of Washington

Good luck with this move, you've got your hands full.

Back