Shipping a large box overseas - am I OK?

So we're looking to ship a whole bunch of gifts to my wife's friends who are expats living in Asia right now. We have a bunch of shipping boxes in the house, but none are quite as big as she'd like. We see the best price is USPS Priority Mail International, which seems to have maximum linear dimensions (H+W+L) of 82 inches and a maximum individual dimension of 42 inches. The box is probably going to weigh about 22-26 lbs, but the additional price for a lb or two more isn't really an issue.

We had a hard time finding boxes. Amazon didn't seem to have boxes for sale that were quite big enough or maybe I had to get a case of 10 or 25 and obviously we couldn't see them. The best we could find were at Home Depot, which calls theirs "moving boxes", although these aren't the kind that lock together and require taped edges just like shipping boxes. They have push in handles, but other than that, they seem to be pretty standard shipping boxes. They had two types - either regular or heavy duty, but I was thinking regular is strong enough for international shipping. We actually got the Extra Large (24"x20"x21") box first but then realized it was way too big. And it was tough getting it in my car, where I had to fold the box just to get it in my car. But HD actually took it back after we figured it was too big, and we just got a "Large"

So anyone have any advice on shipping something that large overseas? The box says something about 32 ECT, whatever that is. I see somewhere that 200 lb burst strength is generally recommended and considered stronger than 32 ECT, which is a stacking standard. I taped and double taped the edges and used tape a couple times inside and out at the seam. I covered the handles (inside and out) with shipping tape. I taped the bottom flap in and taped the inside. We only have some generic clear shipping tape and heavier 3M shipping tape. I made sure to use the 3M tape at the longest edge at the bottom, and have double taped the narrow ends at the bottom. I was thinking maybe reinforced tape, but we don't have any right now. Years ago I had some junk I had picked up on vacation worth about $50 and just bought a $2 box and $1.50 of reinforced, gummed packing tape. That made it through American Airlines with a few bumps, but that was also back when there were two included pieces of check-in.

But I'm not sure if maybe the box is strong enough or if maybe I need to use stronger tape for something that big.

A cardboard box big enough to fit something that weighs 26 lb will be strong enough to handle 26 lb with no problem, especially something called a moving box. Just make sure you use good tape :)

1) Selecting among shipping rates is your job as you know where you live.
It helps if you know an airline employee as they get insiders' discounts.

2) Instead of relying on tape of questionable quality on paper products of questionable quality (cheap cardboard which sheds) why not do what I do?
Glue the box flaps. It's about 5,000% stronger, much cheaper and weighs less. I use yellow carpenter's glue...any brand.
Fit the load, glue the flaps, set weights inside to do it right.

IMPORTANT: If you do cut a box down, remember to black out the box company's size markings, if any.
I cut a box down to return an air dam but the box ID said, "60" X 40" X 40" when I had cut the box to "60" X 20" X 30"). The shipping clerk was a dolt and couldn't comprehend measurements. I left and came back (social reset)

Do Not over seal boxes. International shipping involes getting the proper customs forms and paying the right import fees. Next make sure you are not sending any prohibited items, each country is different, do not assume because its legal here it can be shipped and imported into another country. MAKE SURE YOU FILL OUT THE CORRECT CUSTOMS FORMS. Assume your package will be inspected. Any package can be opened, if gifts are wrapped customs will unwrap them for you. I used to be in the import export business at my dad company in Mexico (furniture and office systems) if your package is flagged for inspection they will open it, if its super sealed it raises red flags. Go to a local UPS store and buy the boxes there if you need a certain size and make sure the box dimensions and weights are in both metric and US systems. Lastly insure the package for twice the value of the contents.

Where is this box going?

China. My wife has friends living there.

I'm looking at the USPS website and find weirdness, such as not being able to select Priority Mail International - just Priority Mail Express International. Then there's the issue of customs forms. This is apparently going to be more involved than we originally thought.

Do Not over seal boxes. International shipping involes getting the proper customs forms and paying the right import fees. Next make sure you are not sending any prohibited items, each country is different, do not assume because its legal here it can be shipped and imported into another country. MAKE SURE YOU FILL OUT THE CORRECT CUSTOMS FORMS. Assume your package will be inspected. Any package can be opened, if gifts are wrapped customs will unwrap them for you. I used to be in the import export business at my dad company in Mexico (furniture and office systems) if your package is flagged for inspection they will open it, if its super sealed it raises red flags. Go to a local UPS store and buy the boxes there if you need a certain size and make sure the box dimensions and weights are in both metric and US systems. Lastly insure the package for twice the value of the contents.

I totally get that the box might be opened and resealed. Not a problem if that happens. I've had stuff checked by TSA in a sealed cardboard box. They put it back with tape and the note that they opened it up.

We'll of course declare this stuff. It's all stuff that was bought on sale so the declared value will be pretty cheap, but we know the equivalent is really expensive at the destination.

China. My wife has friends living there.

I'm looking at the USPS website and find weirdness, such as not being able to select Priority Mail International - just Priority Mail Express International. Then there's the issue of customs forms. This is apparently going to be more involved than we originally thought.

The reason I asked is because the Philippines has a number of shippers that send large boxes. LBC is the best known company. Maybe there is a company that sends to China?

I just did a Click-n-Ship to the UK, Priority Mail Express Intl. It prints out EMS.
Most everything I receive from China comes EMS.

See: https://www.ems.post/en

EMS is an international postal Express Mail Service, for documents and merchandise.

The Universal Postal Union created the EMS Cooperative to develop express delivery worldwide. The EMS Cooperative promotes cooperation between member postal organizations to allow them to provide a high quality global EMS delivery service.

As far as customs, I'm having something repaired by the manufacturer, so that's exempt from duties on the way out, and subject to duty on the cost of the repair on the way in.

The "moving" boxes the big box stores sell are garbage. Well, they're fine for a one-time use like done when you "move" but they will be crushed (every corner edge will be rounded completely by the time it arrives) if they go via any air-freight service. Depending what's in them though, it isn't really an issue. We receive shipments from Europe routinely and the drivers always apologize for how beat up the boxes look but the contents are fine 99% of the time.

Just make sure everything inside is cushioned 5x more than you think is necessary.

The reason I asked is because the Philippines has a number of shippers that send large boxes. LBC is the best known company. Maybe there is a company that sends to China?
this. it’s called a balikbayan box, goes by seafreight (takes about six weeks or so), isnt terribly expensive and is a philippine “thing.” check in a large asian shopping mall or supermarket for a specialty shipper to other asian destinations.

this. it’s called a balikbayan box, goes by seafreight (takes about six weeks or so), isnt terribly expensive and is a philippine “thing.” check in a large asian shopping mall or supermarket for a specialty shipper to other asian destinations.

I looked it up, and apparently that's an interesting case where expat Filipinos have an opportunity to send care packages to the Philippines duty-free. But it apparently the term is also used for sending stuff when traveling by air, in addition to the bulk sending of goods by container.

This is apparently the Philippine Airlines counter at San Francisco International Airport.

sfo_balikbayan_context.jpg

Or Honolulu International Airport. There are a bunch of cardboard boxes visible about 30 seconds in at check-in.

It sounds like these companies specialize in the Philippines though because of possible arrangements with local delivery as well as the ability to avoid duties. I found some place called Metro Box Cargo, but they have delivery to specific warehouses in the Philippines for pickup by the recipient to save on delivery costs.

Try LBC - if you live near areas with a lot of Filipinos(Vallejo/Hercules/Concord, Daly City or Union City/Hayward).

It’s not just a Filipino thing, a lot of Vietnamese do the same thing as well via EVA Air/China Airlines/Singapore Airlines. For some odd reason, Costco-sized boxes of Ensure/Similac and Tylenol seem to be sent back to Vietnam.

Not sure about the rate, but if you cannot find the exact box you might need to redneck 2 boxes together and mummified tape the thing back up like the senior travelers in the airport. Usually you can tell how strong something is by looking at the layers. If you are concern you can always cut one of the box and reinforce it inside the outer box with glue and tape. I would definitely do an extra layer on the top and bottom as they tend to be the bursting sides.

26 lb isn't "that" heavy, that 82" dimension sum may be the problem depending on the shape, but 26lb in a big box is not really a huge concern IMO. I'd be more concerned about things punching through in transit.

I looked it up, and apparently that's an interesting case where expat Filipinos have an opportunity to send care packages to the Philippines duty-free. But it apparently the term is also used for sending stuff when traveling by air, in addition to the bulk sending of goods by container.

This is apparently the Philippine Airlines counter at San Francisco International Airport.

sfo_balikbayan_context.jpg

Or Honolulu International Airport. There are a bunch of cardboard boxes visible about 30 seconds in at check-in.

It sounds like these companies specialize in the Philippines though because of possible arrangements with local delivery as well as the ability to avoid duties. I found some place called Metro Box Cargo, but they have delivery to specific warehouses in the Philippines for pickup by the recipient to save on delivery costs.

I have been in that line many times and it’s a adventure every time. Filipinos like to use their 50 pound allowance per bag right up to the last ounce. Each passenger gets two check ins and even the kids have two boxes. Half of them are overweight thus holding up things. The general rule we used is to be at check in at 5pm for the 10pm flight.

These flights run full. It usually took us 2.5 hours to get thru check in.

You should use UPS.
I would avoid UPS or Fedex for international packages and not for the exorbitant prices but because a week later you might see an unexpected additional charge on your credit card for customs fees. This happened 10 years ago shipping something to Canada sold on Ebay when the recipient refused to pay duty fees, so FedEx billed me for them. Not sure if the process is different now.

Back