Movies you hate that most like.....

You know those two are based on real stories and people. Pretty disturbing actually. Good films though.
Of course, that's not the only real life criminal org I know of though.

One of my dad's friend told me he saw knives fight at the street in the 80s and one of the gang member's ear got chopped off, with hands covering the head asking his "boss" for help.

Dad (a real estate agent) also heard a gang boss buying up distressed properties with squatter tenant and how the gang boss bragged about the "persuasion" he use to evict tenants. He didn't know the buyer of course, only representing the seller who lost his shirt due to the squatter tenant.

Uncle, when going to court trying to sue tenant for the missing rent, got a lot of "offers" from gang members to help with "collection" services. He declined out of ethical reason.

I was never fond of the original Lion King but then again I was already 13 or so at the time already.

I like Black Mass better than The Departed.
Yeah I somewhat agree with you about Black Mass versus The Departed. I was 25 or 26 and working in theatre for The Departed and it was my first gritty style film and I did come to like it but upon re-watching it I can see how it became your typical movie.

I like The Lion King, I was about the same age I would ask you what you didn't like about it but I also don't want to destroy a classic memory of mine.

Yeah I somewhat agree with you about Black Mass versus The Departed. I was 25 or 26 and working in theatre for The Departed and it was my first gritty style film and I did come to like it but upon re-watching it I can see how it became your typical movie.

I like The Lion King, I was about the same age I would ask you what you didn't like about it but I also don't want to destroy a classic memory of mine.
It wasn't that I "dislike" it, just the song and how the plot was sort of plain vanilla to me, sort of you can tell within 5 mins what it is like but instead of a princess it is a prince. To be honest ever since Hamlet they are all sort of similar.

I also wasn't too into musical in movies like most Disney stuff, so that doesn't help.

I grew up reading and watching movies about revenge a lot, it was probably more of a Asian culture thing how justice was carried out instead of the Western forgive and find peace in religion kind of thing. So you probably can guess that I like Kill Bill more than Lion King.

Footloose. Mainly due to Lori Singer's criminally bad acting, but overall the movie is just hard to watch. Musicals belong on stage.

Do movies which HAD to be bad count?
"Blackula" comes to mind. I actually wanted to see how bad it was but bailed when the opening scene explained the entomology of the title.
It was then I realized I wasn't the target audience.

"Surf Nazis Must Die". I never actually saw it. It was a midnight showing and I did a, "Time lost to benefit analysis".

It's not so much hate for Heat but disappointment with the horrible dialogue and the uneven pacing. It drags on and I can't watch it in one sitting. Considering it's Michael Mann's remake of his own LA Takedown that he made 8 years earlier I expected better. LA Takedown isn't almost 3 hours long and it does not have top actors. although, with the exception of Pacino and Val Kimer the acting in Heat isn't all that great either. LA Takedown is a much tighter movie that doesn't get mired in countless subplots. Michael Mann has made some interesting movies. Manhunter and Collateral stand out for me.

I don't hate movies, but right now Pacific Rim or something in that franchise is on and it just can't captivate my attention.
Like many big, loud, and mostly CGI crap fests, Pacific Rim was made primarily for foreign markets where the audience wants to read subtitles or follow more than a paper-thin plot even less than audiences do here. A character-driven story that adds human interest, who wants that anymore? They just want to go and see some brainless action to which they can veg out. Thank you Michael Bay, you started this trend. Should have stuck to making music videos. Garbage is more easily consumed in smaller portions. And it's largely boring garbage now that doesn't get me interested in the characters, the plot, or anything really. Bullet Train looks like it may be alright. I did like the book.

Last edited:
Back