Movie Theaters Too Loud?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
I prefer not to waste my money going to a theater. The movies are released very quickly after the theater runs. I have a large enough screen, a decent sound bar and a comfortable couch. No noises, no rude people, no chances of getting involved in something worse.

This is another issue. The times I am considering seeing a movie in a theatre, by the time I'm done dithering about it and then finding time to actually do it and then checking the listings, it's gone already and on Blu-Ray.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I watched Apollo 11 in the IMAX theater last week. OMG, they had it turned up to 11
smile.gif
And it was AWESOME.

See, that's what I'm talking about. That's something I'd consider seeing. However, by the time I get around to it, I'll be traipsing through Walmart and see it in a Blu-Ray floor display, and then wondering how I let that much time pass.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Garak
I prefer not to waste my money going to a theater. The movies are released very quickly after the theater runs. I have a large enough screen, a decent sound bar and a comfortable couch. No noises, no rude people, no chances of getting involved in something worse.

This is another issue. The times I am considering seeing a movie in a theatre, by the time I'm done dithering about it and then finding time to actually do it and then checking the listings, it's gone already and on Blu-Ray.

Don't forget the idiots on cellphones and the $40 bucket of popcorn.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

The last time I went, cell phones were enough of a problem. I can't see that having improved in the interim.

Originally Posted by Tdog02
The loud stuff is way too loud and then there are parts that the dialog is so soft I can barely hear. I'm sure most of my problems have to do with hearing damage from years of shooting. But to answer the OP, I always have soft plugs for the movie theater, miserable without them.

Lots of movies have horrible sound editing - not very well at sound level balancing. Even when watching movies at home, there are many times the dialoge/talking is too soft, so I turn up the volume. Then some big action scene comes on and he sound is way too loud. Everyone making movies whats people's ears to start smoking when the big action scenes play. It's pretty annoying.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by Garak

I can't even eat the popcorn.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Cujet
I watched Apollo 11 in the IMAX theater last week. OMG, they had it turned up to 11
smile.gif
And it was AWESOME.

Having seen a Shuttle launch from about 3-1/2 miles away, I can understand an increased volume level in a theater showing a Saturn V launch. The Shuttle was very loud once it got up to where the nozzles were high enough, and pointed directly back at the ground. (About 30 seconds after launch).

I remember talking to a waitress at the Howard Johnson's the night before the launch. She lived in Cocoa Beach her whole life, and has seen all of the launches. She told me the Space Shuttle was nothing compared to a Saturn V liftoff. The Shuttle burned a total of 7-1/2 tons of fuel per second at liftoff. A Saturn V consumed close to 20 tons a second. Almost 3 times as much! She said people could easily hear it in Orlando, over 60 miles away.

My old Denon/Klipsch/Hsu Research 7.1 system sounds better than 95% of the local theaters; I still go to a couple of theaters that have decent sound to see blockbuster action/adventure/science fiction films. The volume doesn't bother me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back