Mouse trap baiting

Lots of mice come into my garage. If I bait with peanut butter they lick it off. They often do the same thing with cheese. If found that if I tie a string arount the trip lever and soak it in bacon grease the trap never fails.
I have always had good luck with peanut butter....

I'll have to try the bacon grease idea. I have always cut up snickers into little pieces and really get it on there good and melted into a little ball wrapped around the trip, I learned that one from my dad.

Reactions: hrv
Get yourself a ball bearing mouse trap. Has inertial guidance system. Never needs bait. Self cleaning, reusable, very efficient.

mouse trap.jpg

A small chunk of Snickers candy bar works really well and it sticks good enough that they can't just lick it off. Our old house we would usually wind up having one or two come in every winter and we had tried peanut butter as well as cheese. The Snickers is the best I've used so far. Worked at 2 relatives houses as well.

When I had a mouse problem in the kitchen a few years ago, I got one of the catch and release models. Don't want to be handling mouse guts all the time. Got probably 40 of them over 2 weeks time. Sometimes 2 or 3 overnight. Took them to the woods 100 yards away to release. Let the hawks and owls take care of the dirty business.

If I bait with peanut butter they lick it off.
Use a tiny amount, like the size of an aspirin, on a rat size sticky trap. They can smell it from a long way away and can't stay away from it. They will step in the glue and thrash around. If there is too much peanut butter, they will get coated in it and eventually work themselves loose. When there is just a small amount, they can't get covered in it.

Reactions: GON
When I had a mouse problem in the kitchen a few years ago, I got one of the catch and release models. Don't want to be handling mouse guts all the time. Got probably 40 of them over 2 weeks time. Sometimes 2 or 3 overnight. Took them to the woods 100 yards away to release. Let the hawks and owls take care of the dirty business.
Well before you let them out you dip that catch and release trap in a large container of water for 5 minutes before you release them they don't like baths and have a great memory they won't come back.

If you wish to use a conventional mouse trap, get one like this: It has the big plastic bait holder that makes the mouse actually step on it. You can also use this type in an area where they run and a mouse just stepping on it will trip the trap.
Or, if you have room, use the type of trap that the mouse steps on a teeter-totter type of platform where it gives away and he falls into a large holding area....better yet if it has a bunch of water in it where the mouse drowns. Before I get some cruelty complaints, mice can carry disease.

Attachments

• trap.JPG
    trap.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 3
Don't use a bait that they can lick off. Use something that they need to chew on pull on. You can hot glue a piece of dog kibble onto the tab or you chew a tough piece of candy to make is maleable and then form it around the bait tab on the trap, something like a piece of Tootsie Roll. Don't just place it on the tab. Use a big enough piece so that you can wrap it around the tab. The mouse will chew and pull on the bait making the trap more effective.

Thanks for the 'bacon string' idea.
I've used peanut butter to bait glue, snap and teeter-totter actuated closed corridor traps with success.
Had mice twice. Once after a huge backyard cleanup. And after a neighbors' foundation extension work.
They're vile.

The peanut butter on a rolling log over a bucket is a pretty cool trap. But then you have mice in a bucket that need disposal.

One place I worked, the building I was in had a rodent problem. When we complained to the VP of operations, his replay was, "There's no evidence of a rodent problem."

We set out traps and put the corpses in a box, placed in the un-used freezer section where we stored chemical supplies in the refrigerator.

After we had collected +70 corpses, we took the box of evidence to his office.

Back