Mouse trap season. Which is better? Peanut Butter vs. Nutella?

Peanut butter. I have caught mice without any bait. Mice travel along the outer perimeter of a room. I just place a trap there and I get them.

Here's one you never thought of which worked VERY WELL for me REPEATEDLY.
Problem: Smart mice which could lick peanut butter out from the holes in the trap's trigger which was molded plastic resembling Swiss cheese.
Yes, the mice could lick the peanut butter out of the holes!
Solution: I took a 5 gallon plastic jerry jug and laid it on it's side with a pint or so of water in it.
Note: The jerry jug was always just used for water but developed pin holes. Old gas can is a NO GO.
Effect: The mice go in for a drink of water and you can easily hear their toenails on the plastic.
Action: Go pick up the jug.

I'd gladly accept an award for this breakthrough but I discovered it by accident.

When the mouse problem in my home got out of control in 2020, the contractor used chocolate in a little squeeze tube and a little dab on the trap trigger. He placed the dab near the hinge side, not at the end of the trigger. I've seen the chocolate bait on an exterminator supply website somewhere.

The big lesson was the use of exterior bait boxes with Contrac Blox baits inside. We have 4 of them at quiet areas around the preimeter of our house. This was the most effective part.

Good luck.

I use either peanut butter of cheese. Both seem to work equally well. Since we moved in this house 11 years ago we've only had maybe 1/2 dozen mice with the exception of last year when apparently a pregnant mouse got in had babies then they started multiplying and the mice got ahead of our efforts to get rid of them. We bought about a dozen traps and it took a while but we finally got rid of all of all of them..

MT.jpg

Back