Mouse trap season. Which is better? Peanut Butter vs. Nutella?

Oatmeal flakes stuck on with some margarine or something. I used it on a no kill trap where they have to go in a tunnel. Other things he/she ignored. Then I searched for and fixed the hole it got through and never had one since.

I first started buying Duke's because it was the cheapest. Now it's not, but I love it and won't waste it on a mouse. Nutella? The mice can have it.
Peanut butter in the little green C-Rat tins is the absolute bestests ever. Mix it with the cocoa powder and spread it on the canned crackers. Oh, that's like Nutella isn't it?

What you need is some cat sass.
E5881BBA-D907-4372-82DE-0C89546FB192.jpg

Here's one you never thought of which worked VERY WELL for me REPEATEDLY.
Problem: Smart mice which could lick peanut butter out from the holes in the trap's trigger which was molded plastic resembling Swiss cheese.
Yes, the mice could lick the peanut butter out of the holes!
Solution: I took a 5 gallon plastic jerry jug and laid it on it's side with a pint or so of water in it.
Note: The jerry jug was always just used for water but developed pin holes. Old gas can is a NO GO.
Effect: The mice go in for a drink of water and you can easily hear their toenails on the plastic.
Action: Go pick up the jug.

I'd gladly accept an award for this breakthrough but I discovered it by accident.
Must be a mess to get the rodents out and the jug cleanish…

I grew up on Miracle Whip and it took me 92 years to realize it wasn't mayo....lol
I now like mayo better. The whip is a bit sweet.
May I turn you on to Heinz Salad Creme? That delicacy can be acquired on Amazon. It's like a tangy variant of Miracle Whip with notes of industrial grade vinegar and a suspect texture resembling pureed escargot. It's imported from the UK so you know it's good. 😛

JHZR2 said above: "Must be a mess to get the rodents out and the jug cleanish…"

Not at all. You do it then and there....you don't leave it unattended nor wait for the little rats to die. Remember, it's a damaged jug never to be used for drinking water again.

To vavavroom: You said, "... tangy variant of Miracle Whip with notes of industrial grade vinegar and a suspect texture resembling pureed escargot."
I can't tell if that's good or bad? I'd only expect pureed escargot on a cooking show.....where they'd be making seafood ice cream.

I had a couple of mice that figured out how to get the peanut butter off the trap and not trip it. My solution was to tie a small piece of raw bacon to the trap. worked great!

I go through several pounds or more of rodenticide a year on our property. We're surrounded by woods and for some reason we have a lot of mice and roof rats (black rats). Having bait out is usually enough to keep them out of the house.

Have -a hart trap and move them out to a field or brush pile far away.

They should leave your unwelcome house soon with Spring aorund the corner.

We are all animals in case you forgot.
We share this planet. Don't be an Ogre.

You already trashed and overpopulated this beautiful and so very special orb

I go through several pounds or more of rodenticide a year on our property. We're surrounded by woods and for some reason we have a lot of mice and roof rats (black rats). Having bait out is usually enough to keep them out of the house.
This is a two and a half year old thread. And it's not mouse trap season. JEEPERS!

I think some actually prefer chunky because they'll go after the little harder bits. As some noted, they might be able to lick off soft peanut butter without trigger the catch.

I've seen some of the mouse trap videos. Like little snuff films for rodents. And oddly satisfying.
Mice have tongues :eek:

I use dry walnuts and almonds in my Victor Quick-Kill traps. Super easy, and very effective.
I am pretty much surrounded by farm fields and usually have a new carcass or two every other day in my garage.

Back