Motul vs. Liquimoly 5W40

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Posted over on the MK7 VW Golf etc.. Facebook group. Looks like LM sheared less...
FB_IMG_1601682002155.jpg

The wear metals are all within statistical noise, I am not seeing enough of a difference to pick one over the other, it looks almost like the same oil rebottled. I would like to see a few runs of Castrol 0w40 or ESP 5w30.

Looks like some decent fuel on that 2nd most recent run, which explains the viscosity hit relative to the most recent. Virgin FP on the Motul is 450F and virgin visc is 14.2cSt if the January 2020 data sheet applies to this version.

Do you know what Liqui Moly 5w-40 product was used?

What Motul is this exactly ? The two Motul runs don't seem to have an identical add pack (calcium).

Motul seems to have a successful marketing for America, since they can't claim made in Germany 😁

"Just got my last lab result in for Motul Xcess 5w40 vs Liqui Moly Leichtlauf 5w40 @ 4k/8k intervals. Nothing much changed in the 3 years and intervals, just ran E30 in the last one but that's about it."

"Just got my last lab result in for Motul Xcess 5w40 vs Liqui Moly Leichtlauf 5w40 @ 4k/8k intervals. Nothing much changed in the 3 years and intervals, just ran E30 in the last one but that's about it."

I assume the oil has been updated as the current PDS is from August 22nd, 2020. I'm surprised by the 10% Noack on a 5w-40!

I see you posted a VOA of this earlier in the year and the visc was 13.5 whilst the PDS shows it should be 14? Oh Blackstone.... LOL!

To make sure folks understand...this is not mine...taken from someone's post on FB.

I assume the oil has been updated as the current PDS is from August 22nd, 2020. I'm surprised by the 10% Noack on a 5w-40!

I see you posted a VOA of this earlier in the year and the visc was 13.5 whilst the PDS shows it should be 14? Oh Blackstone.... LOL!
Correct. My BS VOAs of 2 different LM 5W40s showed viscosity in the 13s vs. 14.

Correct. My BS VOAs of 2 different LM 5W40s showed viscosity in the 13s vs. 14.
Definitely causes one to take pause and question just how accurate these measurements are when we start talking about visc loss and the like eh?

Definitely causes one to take pause and question just how accurate these measurements are when we start talking about visc loss and the like eh?
100%. I suppose the value of these UOAs for me has simply been trends/what is normal. I have a nice data set now and if something is wildly different, then you take notice. I believe all the XW40s will be in the 11s with my car based on UOAs I've seen posted here/over on the VW boards/FB pages.

Interesting results. I wonder what my Motul 300V would test at after running my motor at 325 deg and boiling gas for hours on the trail. When I drained it at home it was still a nice fluorescent green and did not smell any different than new oil.

I remember in the 90's my company did a few oil reports on our fleet of generators. They were trying to see if by switching to synthetic, we could extend the oil change intervals. It did not pan out financially. We discovered that synthetic was not as cost effective as the conventional oil. Our normal 200 hr service intervals when extended to 500 hrs (to offset synthetic oil cost) was damaging to the engines due to diesel fuel dilution.

It is a very prepossessing feature of what an oil analysis will show. I have never had the need to do it in my personal vehicles. My power sport vehicles run a very hard life. Frequent overheating, blowing holes in the cases, running oil low on the trails, running out of water, etc.

Why do blackstone comment about fuel dilution when they can't properly test for fuel dilution? Seems like decent fuel dilution to me.

Why do blackstone comment about fuel dilution when they can't properly test for fuel dilution? Seems like decent fuel dilution to me.
No idea.

Back