'16 Golf R Stage 3 Motul Sport 5-50 & 5-40 Blend ~3.7k miles

MSH

Stage 3 2016 VW Golf R with aftermarket hybrid EQT Vortex Turbo. Full bolt on's, etc running ethanol blends (E40) and full E85
Car makes quite a bit more power than stock... dyno'd @ 510whp/466wtq STD Corrected.
3.7K UOA - 55% Motul Sport 5W50 & 45% Motul Sport 5W40

Screen Shot 2023-01-13 at 3.50.38 PM.jpg

Looks good from an oil standpoint. But that AL is trending up.
I mean, with that amount of power, anything is possible.
you think it's concerning enough to do shorter OCI to see where it stands? Mine are usually short anyway, but let this last one go a bit longer at 3.7K vs all the others at 3k OCI

you think it's concerning enough to do shorter OCI to see where it stands? Mine are usually short anyway, but let this last one go a bit longer at 3.7K vs all the others at 3k OCI
I would just run it until 3k and checked. Change oil brand. Mobil1 or check with Dave at HPL. Maybe he will have some more on spot recommendation.

Reactions: MSH
I would just run it until 3k and checked. Change oil brand. Mobil1 or check with Dave at HPL. Maybe he will have some more on spot recommendation.
ok thanks. Yes, I had some back and forth with him 6 months ago or so where he recommended their Super Car engine oil. If it wasn't almost 2x the price of the M1 5-50 for 6 qts I would give it a go, but without some sort of sale I'll probably do the M1.

Anyone got a better place to go than Walmart for M1 5-50? This seems to be best price with free ship...

Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 8.53.06 AM.jpg

I was at Napa and it was on sale for $7 a quart. Might want to check Napa prices in your zipcode area.

Since its a sale, consider enough for a couple oil changes.
Nice! Thanks for heads up. That’s a great deal so I’ll get a case. Just waffling over dumping the Motul Sport 5-40 I just put in or hold off until summer before switching to the M1

According to Motul, Motul Sport is now Motul 8100 Power. Sport will no longer be available. Looking at the Power data sheet, it now meets API SP, but it looks like there are some other differences. Looks like it is time to either start the analysis thread anew, or move on (to M1 or other).

I always find it funny when folks spend a lot of money on a vehicle and then modifying it, but then balk at spending tens of extra dollars on an oil change. Not knocking your oil choice OP, I myself am a fan of the M1 0W-40, but the logic always makes me chuckle. That sounds like a pretty sweet car you've got there. I like those Golf Rs.

I always find it funny when folks spend a lot of money on a vehicle and then modifying it, but then balk at spending tens of extra dollars on an oil change. Not knocking your oil choice OP, I myself am a fan of the M1 0W-40, but the logic always makes me chuckle. That sounds like a pretty sweet car you've got there. I like those Golf Rs.

huh? maybe I'm not tracking. Where did I say I didn't want to spend $ on an oil change? On the contrary, I was doing 3k OCI's on this car and I never used M1 0w-40 ever. Other than earlier on in the cars life where I ran Castrol 0-40 (prior to swapping to the bigger turbo etc) I was running Motul Sport.

Back