'16 Stage 3 Golf R 40k Motul Sport 5W50 ~3k miles

MSH

Stage 3 2016 VW Golf R with aftermarket hybrid EQT Vortex Turbo. Full bolt on's, etc running E30 90% of time(91 pump remaining 10%)
Car makes quite a bit more power than stock... dyno'd @ 499whp STD Corrected (415whp uncorrected.....Colorado car so we take power hit with the altitude).
Stock Golf Rs dyno around the 260whp-270whp neighborhood at sea level.
Last UOA post--> https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/16-big-turbo-golf-r-castrol-0w40-3k-miles.336906
Moving to Motul Sport 5W40 for Winter/Spring

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 5.06.21 PM.jpg

Interesting with such a short interval I wonder if this is/is not permeant shear. Looks like your steel parts are wearing at twice the rate of the population.

Short run UOA's really are of limited value.

Interesting with such a short interval I wonder if this is/is not permeant shear. Looks like your steel parts are wearing at twice the rate of the population.

Short run UOA's really are of limited value.
The car also has 2x the stock horsepower with all the modifcations It's a 2nd car and most driving is hard driving...canyon runs, lots of redline pulls, etc. I intended for the car to see some track days(road course) as well but that didn't happen this past yr. It was recommended in another thread that i do 3k oil change interval.... https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/16-big-turbo-golf-r-running-ethanol-blend.336456/

I have a Racingline R600 w the cotton filter--->MST TIP
Is that filter oiled? EDIT - I looked it up, says it's dry vs. the oiled foam one you can use.

Last edited:
Is that filter oiled? EDIT - I looked it up, says it's dry vs. the oiled foam one you can use.
Yes, I had the foam one that came with the R600 originially. There were a few reports of the foam breaking up on the inside and getting into turbos. Plus I just didn't want to hassle with the cleaning and re-oiling every so often. Like I mentioned in another thread I use to have to do it all the time on my old 2 stroke MX bikes, but anymore I'm just too lazy and dont want to deal so moved to the cotton one

Yes, I had the foam one that came with the R600 originially. There were a few reports of the foam breaking up on the inside and getting into turbos. Plus I just didn't want to hassle with the cleaning and re-oiling every so often. Like I mentioned in another thread I use to have to do it all the time on my old 2 stroke MX bikes, but anymore I'm just too lazy and dont want to deal so moved to the cotton one
Interesting note from Blackstone related to this convo on the viscosity drop we all seem to see (those with the tuned VW turbo engines):

"And with regards to our previous conversation, my colleagues and I couldn't find statistically significant data on an oil brand that holds up better than others in the VW Turbos. However, I did find this interesting. We found no correlation between a slightly low viscosity due to engine shearing and poor wear."

Reactions: MSH
since the older thread on oil for highly modded engines closed i will note here after rereading "oil the fine print + misconceptions" from savagegeese a pro on you tube notes the oil temp as well as its pressure is key + even oil analysis showed "perfect" + damage from too thin oil from high heat + thinning was evident!!! the right viscosity for your environment + driving is KEY!!

Back