Motul or Liqui-Moly for V6 TDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Long time lurker of this forum but this is my first post. I am looking for an oil for my new-to-me VW Touareg TDI. It has a 3.0 V6 diesel with 12k miles. Because of the diesel scandal VW will be extending the powertrain warranty to 10yr/120k - therefore I will be sticking with the 504/507 spec even though I feel a 5w40 would be better in this application.

I have narrowed it down to two choices - Motul X-CLEAN+ 5w30 or Liqui-Moly Top Tec 4200 5w30. Both being 507 oils they are extremely similar in spec and the same price. The Motul is advertised as 100% synthetic while the Liqui-Moly is not. I am not sure if the rules in France are the same as Germany where it must be PAO/Ester to be labeled as synthetic.

From what i've seen the 3.0 V6 TDI is much harder on oil than the 4-cylinder engines. I planned on setting the OCI at 7500mi.

Here are the spec sheets for the two oils:

https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pidoc/P000323/3706-TopTec42005W-30-31.0-en.pdf

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/motul-production2/images/product_descriptions/technical_data_sheets/55/8100_X-clean__5W-30_%28GB%29.pdf?1484040375

Thank you for your insight

I would run the Motul out of those two. Based upon its slightly higher HTHS, it does have a fractionally lower TBN but due to its stable base stocks it may offer greater TBN retention surely enough for a 7,500 run you've indicated. My last reason for picking Motul is based upon its significantly lower SA compared to the LiquiMoly which should help promote the health of the after treatment system.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Welcome to BITOG!

May I ask why you are restricting yourself to only these two oils?

Have you considered M1 ESP 5w-30?

I guess we can consider M1 ESP also - I just found it for the same price as the other two oils ~ 45$ / 5L. The few UOA's I've seen for this oil shows its TBN depleted by 8k in a 2.0 4 cylinder TDI, I think it would be even worse in the v6.

But based on the spec sheet it looks even better than the other two oils

http://www.ulei-mobil.ro/pdf/MobilAutoDataSheet/mobil_1_esp_formula_5w-30.pdf

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
I would run the Motul out of those two. Based upon its slightly higher HTHS, it does have a fractionally lower TBN but due to its stable base stocks it may offer greater TBN retention surely enough for a 7,500 run you've indicated. My last reason for picking Motul is based upon its significantly lower SA compared to the LiquiMoly which should help promote the health of the after treatment system.

Thanks, i'm leaning toward Motul also - big fan of the brand.

Originally Posted By: carbonvert
The few UOA's I've seen for this oil shows its TBN depleted by 8k in a 2.0 4 cylinder TDI, I think it would be even worse in the v6.

Consider that your V6 has a much larger oil sump, so that should help with a longer OCI.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Have you looked at Pentosin?

I totally forgot about Pentosin. Would that be your recommendation? Looks like good stuff- German oil with a spec sheet that says fully synthetic.

http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/Pento_Super_Performance_III_5W-30.pdf

If M1 ESP was actually cheaper than any of the euro oils mentioned here i'd just use that, but since I don't mind ordering online and everything is the same price I want to see if their are better alternatives.

Last edited:
The reason I brought up Pentosin is that in my small provincial town we have 2 locally owned stores that stock it, LM, RL, Amsoil and every major. Pentosin is at around $35 per 5 litre jug. If you are friends with a local garage guy, he could get it at unbelievably good price from Worldpac (provided it is their service area and the stuff is available in their region). Pentosin was just recently acquired by a major, but I suspect that they will keep the brand differentiation. I have no problem with other products either.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Have you looked at Pentosin?

I totally forgot about Pentosin. Would that be your recommendation? Looks like good stuff- German oil with a spec sheet that says fully synthetic.

http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/Pento_Super_Performance_III_5W-30.pdf

If M1 ESP was actually cheaper than any of the euro oils mentioned here i'd just use that, but since I don't mind ordering online and everything is the same price I want to see if their are better alternatives.

M1 5W30 ESP goes sometimes for $5.99 at NAPA. Sometimes, not often, maybe once a year.
As for all mentioned oils, M1 5W30 ESP would be my choice and far ahead of other options.
Liqui Moly is nothing but uber advertised, at best average oil, that has oversized Made in Germany letters. Motul, while PAO based, as final product fell behind others long time ago. While base stock is important, final product is what matters. Even their 5W40 oils are so so on HTHS.
Pentosin is good oil, and also 5W30 Super Performance III is PAO based. I would definitely go for Pentosin over Liqui Moly, and put it in category of Motul.
However, considering HTHS, pour point, SAPS level etc. of M1 5W30 ESP, it is really hard to beat that oil. I use it in BMW 35d, and it runs like a dream.
As for your "feeling" that 5W40 would do better, no it would not.
First of all, let's say you use Mobil1 5W30 ESP. HTHS of that oil is 3.58. HTHS of Motul X-Clean is 3.64! There is no difference there, BUT M1 has less SAPS. VW 504.00/507.00 are very stringent when it comes to SAPS levels, more stringent then BMW and MB. That is due to DPF and SCR system they are using. 504.00/507.00 are ONLY made in 0/5W30 grades. That means 5W40 grade will have more saps and will be worse for your emissions system. Only 5W40 oil that has SAPS level below .8 would be Valvoline 5W40 MST.
Again, Liqui moly? I used it before, any of these oils: Castrol, Pentosin, Pennzoil, Mobil1, Valvoline, Motul, Total, etc, etc. I would use before LM.

Looks like its already been decided, but, I was going to chime in with 'anything meeting 507 will be fine' but then I remembered its low saps and you have high sulphur fuel, so keep the OCI short!

Originally Posted By: Olas
Looks like its already been decided, but, I was going to chime in with 'anything meeting 507 will be fine' but then I remembered its low saps and you have high sulphur fuel, so keep the OCI short!

Nope, diesel in the U.S. is ultra low sulfur, on par with EU levels.
When we are discussing high sulfur levels, we are talking about gasoline. Take into consideration that only 3% of cars in the U.S. are diesels, so most discussion will be around gasoline engines.

Ok, understood.

How is the availability of Gulf oils in your area? Their formula GVX 5w30 is approved 507 and quite a bit cheaper than competitors, at least in my market..

Alright thanks for all the information gentlemen. Looks like the conclusion is that M1 would be the best choice

Let us know how it works for you.
NAPA had M1 5W30 ESP on sale last May. So check their web site often, and if you decide to stick to M1, I would just stock up once it goes on sale.
I must say this. Go check Auto Zone. It seems Auto Zone had or still has Pentosin Super Performance III and Pennzoil Platinum Euro L on sale for $2.00. Both are really good oils. My preference would be Pentosin, not because it is somehow much better, it is just I always liked all of their products and there is some strong UOA and testimonies in VW TDI's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back