MotorTrend: 2022 Subaru WRX First Test: Was the Old One Quicker? Better?

"On the other hand, put through its paces at the dragstrip, the Avalon hits 60 mph in an unexpected 6.5 seconds--2.2 seconds quicker than its predecessor, and a scant three-tenths off the most recent Hemi-engined 300C we've tested."

Can buy grandma's 17 year old Avalon and scoot to 60 in only 0.4 seconds more.

I may be biased (because I own one), but I prefer the previous model. The new ones are so oddly proportioned from all angles. Even the hood scoop looks wrong to me; it's too narrow. I can't comment on the speed of the new car or really the speed of the old car either since I have only 2000 miles on mine and have not pushed it. The brakes aren't very good, as they mentioned in the article. Someday I'll bite the bullet and get a complete set of STI brakes for mine.

A little sad to see the new version seemingly losing its edge and uniqueness. I haven't driven a WRX since the 2d generation version. We had several customers that brought in 2002-ish versions for LOF service. The turbocharged acceleration was a revelation compared to other small hatchbacks back then: 0-60 in under 6 seconds was unheard of outside muscle cars or super cars. And AWD! Now of course lots of cars meet those specs. Without something to differentiate it, I don't know how it sticks around much longer.

A little sad to see the new version seemingly losing its edge and uniqueness. I haven't driven a WRX since the 2d generation version. We had several customers that brought in 2002-ish versions for LOF service. The turbocharged acceleration was a revelation compared to other small hatchbacks back then: 0-60 in under 6 seconds was unheard of outside muscle cars or super cars. And AWD! Now of course lots of cars meet those specs. Without something to differentiate it, I don't know how it sticks around much longer.
Agreed,

I owned a "bubble-eyed" version and loved it until i got the CooperS and EVO8 after that. Looking back, the WRX was the best daily and almost as fun as the other two.

Subaru is so based.

"No. Performance and fuel economy peaked in the early 2000s. We shall go no further! (Ps....we make you sti sticker kit for forester! uwu!?)"

Those black plastic pieces, after 6 months, will look like chair covers on my porch exposed to the sun all the time.
When I see that on Subaru's, it is like they tried really hard to make the vehicle look cheap.

Those black plastic pieces, after 6 months, will look like chair covers on my porch exposed to the sun all the time.
When I see that on Subaru's, it is like they tried really hard to make the vehicle look cheap.
Well, to be fair to Subaru, they aren't the only ones using the black plastic trim. I looked out the office window just now and saw Toyota and Honda SUVs with the same stuff. The real issue is using it on the WRX.... It ain't a Crosstrek. The car would probably look about 90% better without all the black cladding, particularly on the wheelwells and rear bumper.

Some people are taking off the black trim and getting it sanded smooth and professionally painted in body color (there's a few Youtube videos already on it). The car looks a lot better, but what does that cost? $1000? $2000? It's not a quickie re-spray because you have to sand off the texture on the plastic.

Well, to be fair to Subaru, they aren't the only ones using the black plastic trim. I looked out the office window just now and saw Toyota and Honda SUVs with the same stuff. The real issue is using it on the WRX.... It ain't a Crosstrek. The car would probably look about 90% better without all the black cladding, particularly on the wheelwells and rear bumper.

Some people are taking off the black trim and getting it sanded smooth and professionally painted in body color (there's a few Youtube videos already on it). The car looks a lot better, but what does that cost? $1000? $2000? It's not a quickie re-spray because you have to sand off the texture on the plastic.
It looks cheap on Outback. It is horrible. On Crosstek, so, so.
But on WRX? It is IMO a lack of imagination and trying to save money at every corner. Not sure then where else cut corners.

I had a 2004 WRX wagon and what a pig with its 2.0 motor with power curve like an elastic. Slow off line until turbo spooled up and shot like a sling shot.

Fun to drive though.

Almost 40k for a car that is now full of plastic cladding, CVT, and an engine that would have been competitive 20 years ago. Brakes smoking at the end of test…

One of the only “sporty” cars to get slower in recent memory.

Oops, wrong thread, didn’t mean to necro this one. Maybe a mod can move or delete.

Last edited:
Almost 40k for a car that is now full of plastic cladding, CVT, and an engine that would have been competitive 20 years ago. Brakes smoking at the end of test…

One of the only “sporty” cars to get slower in recent memory.

Oops, wrong thread, didn’t mean to necro this one. Maybe a mod can move or delete.
The FA24 in the WRX, as it comes from factory is detuned, leaving room for the STI, which was cancelled. The engine has vert high ceil for bolt ons and tuning. Factory boost is just 12 pounds. I have 20 pounds of boost with FBOs. I have a dyno tested 340 hp/379 tq at the wheels on 93 octane. Approximately 375 hp/414 tq at the crank. My car isn’t slow.

Attachments

• C3CC8750-5196-4574-A476-394EA7656F3F.jpeg
    C3CC8750-5196-4574-A476-394EA7656F3F.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 14
  • D6ABB618-F394-4DAC-B9B3-CB228DFBA849.jpeg
    D6ABB618-F394-4DAC-B9B3-CB228DFBA849.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 15
The FA24 in the WRX, as it comes from factory is detuned, leaving room for the STI, which was cancelled. The engine has vert high ceil for bolt ons and tuning. Factory boost is just 12 pounds. I have 20 pounds of boost with FBOs. I have a dyno tested 340 hp/379 tq at the wheels on 93 octane. Approximately 375 hp/414 tq at the crank. My car isn’t slow.
Have you ran it at the 1/4mi yet? I'm curious to see what you'll do. TPG is a good company.

@Jolman The clutch is good to go at those power & torque levels?

When my wife had a 2018 Civic 1.5T 6MT, I put a KTuner on it. Added about 30 WHP/60 WTQ, and the clutch slipped on me a few times when I carelessly applied too much throttle in too high of a gear at too low of an RPM.

@Jolman The clutch is good to go at those power & torque levels?

When my wife had a 2018 Civic 1.5T 6MT, I put a KTuner on it. Added about 30 WHP/60 WTQ, and the clutch slipped on me a few times when I carelessly applied too much throttle in too high of a gear at too low of an RPM.
That is a concern. I am avoiding high rpm clutch dumps.

Back