Motorcycle oil filters

Here’s a bit of motorcycle oil filter eye candy. What are you using?

5F06A669-2897-4C16-B71B-00404716E579.jpeg7170089F-DD91-4B99-B656-F5797596810F.jpegE8D24026-231D-4663-A56E-FB71160A0963.jpeg

Ages ago I cross-referenced the filter on my Kawasaki and ran the automotive equivalent. As I recall it matched up to one of the smaller Honda filters. Then the next bike had a cartridge style and I didn't have much choice, it was either the dealer or Fram, Fram I could get a mile away, the dealer filter was 2x $ and across town. I ran with the Fram.

Wow, the page I got the info from is still on the web:

Granted, some of the info is years out of date, but back in the day, that's what I stuck with.

What are you using?
Given those choices? OEM, for a literally a couple of dollars more.

I'm pretty sure I see a $12.49 shelf tag. When I can get an OEM filter for $14.50, or just about any other aftermarket brand for less than that, there's no value in a Fram at that price.

Last edited:
My VStar can use the same filter my Accord K24 uses. The filter is a bit longer than the VStar OEM, but fits fine. Either Fram Ultra or Mobil 1.

I find the "threads" and surrounding metal of the mount as well as everywhere else on the Fram motorcycle filters super thin compared to almost any other filter and why I dont use them.

The only part for my bike that I get at the local Harley dealer, is the oil filter for my bike. I guess if I went for a aftermarket filter they would probably work, but if I'm not having a problem with the oem filter, why change?.,,

K&N 171-C. It has the 17mm nut welded onto the filter so I don’t have to use the Harley “special” slotted wrench to get around the crank position sensor. Easy Peasy plus it’s $2 cheaper than the Harley OEM from Amazon delivered. The C suffix means it’s chrome! ;)

I have to use OEM only because that is what is available. I bought a 10 pack from Ebay India and saved 50% over the local dealer price.

1517586d1465835018-royal-enfield-himalayan-thread-himalayan-pdi-13062016_4.jpg

I always use the automotive cross when i can. 1356 and 7317. The 'motorcycle' filters all seem to have nitrile adbv and the upper end auto filters have silicone.. not sure if it makes a difference but i have found myself using the XG for a few oil changes instead.

I have always wondered if flow was better in the motorcycle filters vs the auto filters.. never had an issue though.

I use wix filters for almost everything, check their site for DETAILED specs + fitments. many manufacturers are being consolidated + bought by others + filters are made from WHEREVER!!! just checked Calsci.com has lots of fitments + recommendations on filters etc

I always use the automotive cross when i can. 1356 and 7317. The 'motorcycle' filters all seem to have nitrile adbv and the upper end auto filters have silicone.. not sure if it makes a difference ...
Same here.
On my Shadow, I had used filters for Hyundai and Honda cars (Fram, Purolator, Bosch in the 9688/3593a size).

I have a TG3593a on my Goldwing now, but will be switching to a 7317 sized filter next change.
The 3593a/9688 size has a bit to large of a diameter and is pushing against one of the coolant hoses a bit.
A 7317 size will clear that.
I am waiting for a NAPA 1/2 off filter sale and will order a few 1356 filters for future use. If no sale by the next change, probably a TG7317.

HiFloFiltro Racing Oil Filter​

Features:​

• Heavy-duty steel casing features a welded hex nut for easier removal and installation
  • High-performance tri-fiber media for optimum filtration and consistent oil flow
  • Premium rubber relief valve for 100% seal

Been using HiFlo's for years on multiple machines. Also used Walmart Super Techs. Never had an oil filter related engine issue...

HiFlo, Fram, et al, they visually appear the same as mine are cartridge filters like pictured above in post #12. Run whatever I found to be the best deal on them or if I need to get an order to a specific dollar amount for free shipping I’ll add a filter or two of whichever is available.

XG7317 on my XSR900. Also makes it so it takes the whole 3 qts to get to the full mark on the oil level sight glass.

View attachment 50250
Thanks for sharing this, I have several XG7317's that I bought on sale for my cars, so I can use it as well, great to hear!

Just curious which oil you've been using, I am currently using Yamalube Syn 10w40 but I am looking forward to hear other options that people have been using in their triples

Back