Motorcycle oil filters

Thanks for sharing this, I have several XG7317's that I bought on sale for my cars, so I can use it as well, great to hear!

Just curious which oil you've been using, I am currently using Yamalube Syn 10w40 but I am looking forward to hear other options that people have been using in their triples
My first oil change I used Yamalube 10W-40 (non-synthetic). 2nd oil change I used Valvoline 10W-40 (non-synthetic) 4-stroke motorcycle oil. 3rd oil change coming up I'll be using Castrol Power 1 10W-40 full synthetic now that the engine is fully broken in.

Last edited:
Reminds me that Canadian Tire has a store brand of 10w40 conventional: Motomaster Formula 1.

21BCB482-F627-497C-A59E-8C6E8C70F5D2.jpeg

Some Canadian Tire motor oil is made by Citgo and lately some is made by Shell. I’d say the above Formula 1 in the posting above is a Citgo product. It’s definitely a Citgo bottle just like this one.

FE248448-55A2-4D13-8497-E8239FE0E1E1.png

Thanks for sharing this, I have several XG7317's that I bought on sale for my cars, so I can use it as well, great to hear!

Just curious which oil you've been using, I am currently using Yamalube Syn 10w40 but I am looking forward to hear other options that people have been using in their triples
I've used M1 4T in past bikes (FZ6), planning to continue using it on my FJ-09. Mine has nearly 4K miles, so I'd say it's "broken in" already.

I'm using Mobil 1 M-110A automotive oil filters on my motorcycles and my Honda CR-V at the moment. I buy them when on sale and keep a few in the garage. I've used Purolator, Bosch, Fram, OEM Honda and Mobil 1. All seem to function just fine.

Oil I've used Valvoline 4T dino and Syn, Mobil 1 4T, Castrol ActEvo 4T, Honda GN4 and Rotella T6. Currently have Castrol in both bikes. Got a case of Valvoline 4T syn on sale, that's going in next oil change. Only one I won't use again is Rotella.

I mostly use the oem Kawasaki or the Fram ph6017a but I can get the Stp filter locally from Autozone which I've read is basically the same as the Fram with same part number and everything. I'm not big on Fram but supposedly their motorcycle filters are of good quality.

I've owned my FZ since new and it's currently at 72K miles. The sump has seen Rotella T4, T5, T6, Red Line, Motul 7100, Valvoline M/C oils (dino and synthetic), and Valvoline VR1 SAE 40.

I'd rank these oils from best to worst in terms of shift quality and consistency of shifting over the OCI (3500-4000 miles) this way:

VR1 SAE 40
Red Line
Valvoline M/C (both)
Motul 7100
Rotella T4/T5
Rotella T6

The VR1 was so good the bike's spent more than half its life on it - can't really beat zero shear. Red Line is a really really close second, but cost nearly 3x as much as the VR1. Valvoline M/C oil is really good, and Motul was disappointing for what it cost. Rotellas T4 and T5 were meh, and with T6 the shift quality went downhill very quickly (around 1300 miles into the OCI if I remember correctly).
I have a few quarts of M1 4T that I haven't tried yet.

YMMV.

I use Drag Specialties 0712-0021 (black w/17mm nut) on my 2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited FLHTK. OA always comes back with flying colors from Blackstone Labs.

Amazon has had the Mahle OC619 for $8-10 lately. Bought a couple at that price. BMW OEM costs $20.
Mahle makes the OEM. Did get a bit off of an OEM when I bought a Genuine BMW oil change kit from a BMW dealer online. Total discount on the kit was about $10 delivered to my door free with no tax. Ebay was having a 5% Ebays buck period + 5.25% CC cash back. That was another $8 . My $73 oil change kit ended up at $56. Not bad for OEM stuff.

Last edited:
I've never used a motorcycle filter, always the car equivalent Bosch, Purolator, or Wix. Now I'm in the best spot possible...I run the same filter on everything in the garage. Easy as can be.

HiFloFiltro were always good for me. I did prefer the Mahle's for a cartridge type.

CHINESE HiFlo makes K+N + prolly others!! looking to start using the Pure One PL14610 as it fits my Triumph, + Victory also my nissan Fronty!! i check the Wix site + match specs to use a bigger filter if possible as they show detailed specs to match! Pulator among others are now owned by Mann+hummel i believe if that makes a difference?

Last edited:
REAL synthetics like red line recommend a period of non synthetic BUT fake synthetics as most are DO NOT!! thats why the "factory fill" comment with Mobil I that WAS a real synthetic a long time ago

on my honda , I have always used OEM but honda OEM is now made by purflux but still in OEM packaging. I am tempted to switch to hiflo filtro
on my yamaha, I chose between hiflo or OEM depending on cost & availability

I run a Wix 57148 in my Harleys. I bought a lot of them from Rock Auto for about $6/filter.
Synthetic media. 8psi bypass. 5 micron rating. All the specs are on the Wix website.

Back