Motorcycle filter on a car?

Here's a silly question that I couldn't really find the answer to.

Could I use a Hiflo motorcycle oil filter in place of an OEM oil filter for my truck?

I know it physically spins on the truck and in fact the Hiflo has all the same dimensions, micron rating, etc as the OEM, using filter cross reference data.

I'm wondering will it cause any harm?

I'm thinking the answer is that it will not cause any harm, as the OEM filter only allows for a certain amount of flow, which should be the same as a motorcycle filter but that's the one data point I can't find.

I don't want to get another thread I start locked down because of petty arguments, I'm truly just wondering if I'm doing my Nissan VK56VD harm/disservice by using a high quality HF148 filter that is made/marketed for a Yamaha 4cyl motorcycle motor, rather than a v8 truck engine.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I've used car filters on bikes...I'm sure it works the other way too.

Many oil filters for Nissan / Honda / Subaru car engines are also specified for motorcycles and other ICE applications. Go ahead and sleep well.

That's basically what I was wondering.

I've seen many a thread on using car filters on bikes but none that I've found the other way around 😅

But why would you want to?
If a filter is a motorcycle specific filter, it automatically costs more,
is often smaller, and may not flow as much as an auto filter.
Those are the reasons folks put auto filters on cycles.

My 2¢

But why would you want to?
If a filter is a motorcycle specific filter, it automatically costs more,
is often smaller, and may not flow as much as an auto filter.
Those are the reasons folks put auto filters on cycles.

My 2¢

Appreciate the input, I was basically wondering about the flow.

Cost isn't the issue, it's the quality of the filter.

The new OEM replacement filter is lower quality than the original factory OEM filter I took off the truck.

The Hiflo seems like a higher quality replacement (and is actually a couple bucks cheaper than OEM) but I want to make sure it won't cause problems using it on my application, rather than the motorcycle.

Appreciate the input, I was basically wondering about the flow.

Cost isn't the issue, it's the quality of the filter.

The new OEM replacement filter is lower quality than the original factory OEM filter I took off the truck.

The Hiflo seems like a higher quality replacement (and is actually a couple bucks cheaper than OEM) but I want to make sure it won't cause problems using it on my application, rather than the motorcycle.

Typically motorcycle engine oil pumps don't put out as much oil volume as a car engine. So I'd be a bit concerned about that aspect, especially the bypass valve flow area which could be designed smaller on the motorcycle filter. Putting a car filter on a motorcycle seems safer than putting a motorcycle filter on a car/truck.

How much are you willing/planning to spend on a good oil filter? I'm sure there are many car filters that could be bought for the same price as that HiFlo.

How much would I spend? OEM is about 10 bucks.

I'd say 10-15?

I'm just asking for advice, not trying to convince anyone that what I did was right. The universal Nissan OEM replacement is poorly constructed compared to the Nissan OEM filter installed from the factory, which is no longer available. The Nissan parts/service counter themselves told me they have had many issues with the new OEM filters, so I'm reluctant to continue using them.

I'm completely open to other brands. Just hard to keep up with the changes in brands/styles/what is good quality currently.

I suppose I should just continue to use the Nissan filter while it's under warranty.

Which brands/models are considered high quality alternatives these days? Wix, Purolator, K&N?

How much would I spend? OEM is about 10 bucks.

I'd say 10-15?

I'm just asking for advice, not trying to convince anyone that what I did was right. The universal Nissan OEM replacement is poorly constructed compared to the Nissan OEM filter installed from the factory, which is no longer available. The Nissan parts/service counter themselves told me they have had many issues with the new OEM filters, so I'm reluctant to continue using them.

I'm completely open to other brands. Just hard to keep up with the changes in brands/styles/what is good quality currently.

Just go get a Fram Ultra at Walmart for $10. If you're worried about the warranty, then use OEM ... but certainly don't put a motorcycle filter on it if you're worried about warranty ... that would definitely raise eyebrows at the dealership if something went wrong.

Good call. Will probably, sadly, stick with Nissan for the warranty. But per the owners manual, doesn't have to be a Nissan branded oil filter, hence I'm looking around.

Fram Ultra is the best for under 20 bucks though?

Not looking at extended OCI or anything just want a product made by a company with excellent QC.

I only bought a Hiflo filter because of the excellent praise of the manufacturer and quality materials, as well as it being listed as an alternative for the Nissan OEM filter on an oil filter cross reference site. When it showed up, the box indicated only one Yamaha 4cyl motorcycle as the single application.

This is why I have the questions.

Thanks, again.

Good call. Will probably, sadly, stick with Nissan for the warranty. But per the owners manual, doesn't have to be a Nissan branded oil filter, hence I'm looking around.

Fram Ultra is the best for under 20 bucks though?

Not looking at extended OCI or anything just want a product made by a company with excellent QC.

What length OCI will you be doing? The Ultra would probably be overkill, but if it's $10 at Walmart and you're willing to spend $15-20 on a good filter, then it would fit well with what you're looking for. The Ultra is a very good filter ... good construction and filtering performance. It's used by many people on this chat board. Second choice would be a regular WIX or a NAPA Gold (same filter with a different can label).

What length OCI will you be doing? The Ultra would probably be overkill, but if it's $10 at Walmart and you're willing to spend $15-20 on a good filter, then it would fit well with what you're looking for. The Ultra is a very good filter ... good construction and filtering performance. It's used by many people on this chat board. Second choice would be a regular WIX or a NAPA Gold (same filter with a different can label).
I'd never go over 5,000 while under warranty, per the manual.

Yep, if I see them at Walmart I'll grab a couple.

Thanks!

Back