Hiflo/K & N Filter Comparo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I had the ability to get ahold of both of these filers for my 86 Yamaha FZX700 (which I've always run Wix) I figured I'd do a comparison and do my first posting here with pics!

So, as many know there has been much talk that K & N contracts will Hiflo to manufacture their oil filters (at least for the power-sport variety) and I wanted to see how much/little of a difference there are between the filters.

I contacted both companies and sadly couldn't come up with any technical data on the oil filters whatsoever and was replied back to with these responses:

Hiflo:

"James,

We received your voice mail in regards to our filter HF204. However, we
do not publish nor give out the information of our specifications for
our filters, but the TUV rating states that all of our filters are a
suitable replacement to the direct OEM filter. I hope that this
information was helpful, should you have any further questions or
concerns please let me know.

Thanks,

April Gilbert

Followed by K & N:

"Hello James,

Thank you for your interest in K&N. We appreciate your interest in the design and quality of the KN-204 for your 07 Yamaha Fz1, however the information you are requesting is proprietary, so we are unable to provide it to you.

All available information can be found on the product information page at the link below:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=KN-204&pkid=1399177&rw=1

You can rest assured our oil filters are engineered for the best possible filtration for your vehicle."

Needless to say, I understand that it's technically their "proprietary information" and that most companies don't like to broadcast the information, but they should satisfy deeper inquiries that a customer might have.

Regardless, from what I can obtain from their websites and from physically looking at them, the product build, size, color of filter media, and even the size of the product boxes are identically shaped. Their product codes are HF 401 and KN 401 and they are both TUV approved (with Hiflo being the first filter company to specify their certification) and in all other respects are virtually identical. The only real difference I've found so far is that K & N states that their filters utilize "a synthetic blend media" while Hiflo does not state that information, but again, the filter media appears from look/feel to be of the same consistency and color. The other difference is that K & N has a total of 61 pleats while the Hiflo has a total of 50, but the K & N on the other hand goes for over double the cost. Here are some pics to check out, and sorry about the picture quality, I used a cell phone this first time around and will use a proper camera next time (along with getting the weight difference between them in grams for further comparison). Sorry about the length of the post btw!

011_zps22fc1044.jpg

014_zpsfcee1006.jpg

012_zpsf6ead3da.jpg

013_zpsa222bd06.jpg

I couldn't get a detailed photo of the metal inner core on either of the filters even with flash but both appeared similar with solid construction and finish.

I have a HiFlo for my Busa ... says Made in Thailand. If HiFlo is making the K&N, why does it say Made in China?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I have a HiFlo for my Busa ... says Made in Thailand. If HiFlo is making the K&N, why does it say Made in China?

I noticed the same thing. The Hi-Flows I have on my shelf are at least a year or two old. I had heard the same story, that Hi-Flow made K&Ns filters. I have been using Hi-Flows for a while with no issues (that I know of).

Last edited:
That's a good point about the country of origin. So far that's the only thing I've found contrary to the idea that they're both manufactured by Hiflo, while everything else indicates there's a high possibility (especially the TUV certification) and that Hiflo has also come out with a "race inspired filter" with a exterior nut for easy removal (exact same 17mm size as K&N) and can be safety wired for track/race specifications.

Hiflo Racing Oil Filter

I too haven't heard anyone complain or have any issues with Hiflo's products, I just wish they'd provide some hard data to prove they're more efficient than OEM.

Last edited:
^^^ Interesting, didn't know HiFlo had a racing line of filters (RC series). Definitely the nut on the end looks identical to the K&N line.

The one thing I don't like about the highflow cartridge I use in my KLR650 is the rubber seals for the center tube.

Stock filter seals are nice and snug on the tube. Highflow is loose fit. I feel there is a bigger chance for leakage past the seals so I remove the stock ones off my last Kawi filter and swap them to the new Highflow filter before it gets installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back