K&N for Subaru?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah two things nthatch... how tough is it to use a pair of filter pliers, strap wrench, or those stupid dome-end wrenches (or, don't go all Schwarzenegger when putting it on in the first place!) and... if you don't have any of these alternative methods, how many of these non-mechanically-inclined clowns will have a 1" socket or wrench anyways??

Originally Posted by WellOiled
The wrench off nut is not something I would pay extra for. There are other means to get off a stubborn filter.

That's why I use a BIG pair of channellocks or a CAREFULLY driven screwdriver for the recalcitrant ones.

Luckily for me, I rarely ever change oil on cars that seen a quick lube - and if I do, those aren't tightened too much last time I've done one(which was an ex-friend's Accord driven by his mom, I was able to spin off that E-Core by hand).

Last edited:
A wrench off nut would be useful on the spark. It's impossible to get your hands on it to turn with the way it tucked in. Not for the price of a k&n though.

I was thinking of the circumstance where there is little clearance and the filter is basically in a hole.

Oil Filter strap type wrench

This one would quickly pay for itself due to the high cost of the wrench off type filter.

That kid of wrench might work on the spark. Those dome end wrenches strip out easy and don't necessarily fit every brand of filter

Originally Posted by Ablebody
I was thinking of the circumstance where there is little clearance and the filter is basically in a hole.

This one would quickly pay for itself due to the high cost of the wrench off type filter.

That kid of wrench might work on the spark. Those dome end wrenches strip out easy and don't necessarily fit every brand of filter

My end cap wrenches don't fit the filters with the non-slip grip very well at all. If I force it on, then it is a pain to remove it from the filter.

Ablebody said:
WellOiled said:

If I force it on, then it is a pain to remove it from the filter.

Use a fold-top sandwich bag over the filter. Then the end-cap wrench over the sandwich bag. It will remove pretty easy.

My end cap wrenches don't fit the filters with the non-slip grip very well at all. If I force it on, then it is a pain to remove it from the filter.

Yes I could see that being problematic

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Ok I'll tell GM that some guy on an oil forum knows better than they do, ok lol.

After you call K&N and tell them they are blowing smoke. I didn't say GM was wrong, just paranoid. Setting a filter BPV setting too high can cause problems too.

Like another guy on this forum. I put every imaginable filter on my 08 with the EJ NA engine. It has now over 190K miles. My '18 Forster 2.0 XT has a Fram Ultra and next one to go on is a K&N. HP 1010. And if I live long long enough, which I won't this thing will get 190K miles. Some folks worry to much. But that's what we do here.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back