Car oil filter on motorcycle: the options I found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

after reading this thread about alternative oil filters for a motorcycle, I became interested in doing my own search for what I can get as an alternative for HF-204 (KN-204) oil filters in Reunion Island.

Here's what I found :

The only motorcycle filter brand we can have here (except from OEM) is Hiflofiltro, and the HF-204 is selling for like €15

From this, and looking at California Scientific's Oil Filter Cross Reference page, and then using Google and many filter manufacturer's catalogues, I'll use MAHLE part numbers to sum it all, from the most ressemblance to the most extreme (providing you have the right clearance around the filter mounting location)

Hiflo HF-204: OEM, €15
Mahle OC195: same size as HF-204, 1.0 bar bypass valve, can be bought at around €5 -- Mainly a filter for Mazda (121, 323...) engines (got a Klaxcar FH030Z for instance)
Mahle OC617: extra height (+20mm), 1.0 bar bypass valve, can be bought at around €6 -- Mainly a filter for Honda (Civic) engines. Beware, clearance, not much with front wheel but more with exhaust manifold (on some bikes, you can't put that filter on if the manifold is on)
Mahle OC115: extra height (+25mm) and weight (+10mm), 1.2 bar bypass valve, can be bought at around 7€ -- Probably sold here for much Kubota and Yanmar equipment. Check clearance twice (exhaust and engine block around the filter screw-on location) before buying (got a AMC MO-523 filter)

Is there something I'm missing ?

Attached is a pic of HF-204 vs AMC MO-523
smile.gif

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bluestream
Whats wrong with the HF-204? All the filter does is catch metal filings its not there to clean your oil.

Price and availability

I would look for your OEM filter on line at the best price you can find, then buy several. Rather than risking problems and warranty by going with some cross referenced, non recommended replacement. How much are you going to save? Is it worth the risk? I'm not seeing much if any reward for the few bucks you might end up saving. I would use what the manual say's.

I don't recommend that anyone copy this from me, but I'm not a believer in the risk over something that isn't rocket science. Bitogers here are frequently asking for taller filter options for their cars (can't put my finger on but there is some popular ones), oil grades that are not specified in the OM, alternative tires sizes, various coolants (yay Prestone Universal?), trans fluid levels...

But I appreciate every participation including opinion of those who like to stick to OEM filters.

Originally Posted by billt460
I would look for your OEM filter on line at the best price you can find, then buy several. Rather than risking problems and warranty by going with some cross referenced, non recommended replacement. How much are you going to save? Is it worth the risk? I'm not seeing much if any reward for the few bucks you might end up saving. I would use what the manual say's.

Originally Posted by billt460

Very logical advice if he lived in Arizona. Shipping costs on special orders to an island in the middle of the Indian Ocean are probably prohibitive. The OP is looking for a suitable filter that's already available at a reasonable price on Reunion Island.

Originally Posted by Langanobob
Very logical advice if he lived in Arizona. Shipping costs on special orders to an island in the middle of the Indian Ocean are probably prohibitive. The OP is looking for a suitable filter that's already available at a reasonable price on Reunion Island.

Thanks for clarifying this point. For example the cheapest HF-204 I can find is going to cost about €11 after shipping and local taxes.
As Langanobob said, I'm looking for a locally, widespread, available option for HF-204 because it would go on the majority of Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki bikes on the market here, plus a lot of Triumph. Suzuki, due to their M20x1.0 thread, seems to have no on-the-shelves option unfortunately (apart from asking an OC574 or Mann MW65, but those are motorcycle filters only and not in stock). BMW and Ducati can easily have their car counterparts too.

I do the very same thing with filters for my lawn equipment, motorcycles and ATV's. There are viable (and cheaper) automotive filters that work just fine. Often for $3.99 instead of $16. The savings do add up when you have 15 engines requiring filters, and it's good to know that a proper choice results in no loss in quality.

All those OEM filters will be available at the brands dealerships.
Indépendant or franchisé Motorcycle shops here only carries the hiflo ones.

Plus, those oil filter cross reference could be strange sometimes: listed is the Wix 51365, which leads to Mahle OC205, seems to be a short version of the OC115.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I do the very same thing with filters for my lawn equipment, motorcycles and ATV's. There are viable (and cheaper) automotive filters that work just fine. Often for $3.99 instead of $16. The savings do add up

Shoot, I've bought good quality filters on RockAuto for .79 cents, and filters on clearance from Tractor Supply and Walmart for .50 cents each.

I have 27 engines - just me alone. Plus other people whose stuff I work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back